• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors 1911 quality?

Re: 1911 quality?

While everyone is talking about various 1911's. Does anyone have opinions on the Para Ord Double stack .45's? I have a Ltd edition model for OIF Cav.
Pro's, Cons or opinions?
(Apoligies if this seems like hijacking).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiwiShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While everyone is talking about various 1911's. Does anyone have opinions on the Para Ord Double stack .45's? I have a Ltd edition model for OIF Cav.
Pro's, Cons or opinions?
(Apoligies if this seems like hijacking). </div></div>

Paras are okay guns. Not great, but not junk either.

A double stack gun in .45 is kinda pointless, though. If you were going to compete with it, it wouldn't have the capacity of a .40 so it wouldn't be competitive.

If what you're looking for is a single action, high capacity gun in .45, though, I say go for it. It is a little fatter in the hand than a 1911 but very 1911-like.

Boy... Lots of good information from some obviously passionate .45 owners. I certainly appreciate the expertise but I just bought a $400 Taurus PT1911 and can't tell you how impressed I am with it. I've probably owned or shot over 100 different 1911's and this cheapie functions and performs as well as any of them. Maybe I got lucky but it seems there are a few inexpensive 1911's out there that are giving the "big boys" a run for their money. STI is another from what I hear. You might consider getting one of the better made inexpensive 1911's and having the custom work done a little at a time as you figure out what you want or need to customize. Just a thought FWIW.

If someone else has given this advise already I apologize for the repeat but this has been my recent experience and frankly I was a bit surprised at the quality of some of the inexpensive 1911's

I concur with a lot of what's been said...
In your price range, a new Springfield or Kimber with a rail would be a great start.
A gently used LB or Ed Brown could be had for a bit more. Both are worth the extra $ in my opinion.
I've had old Colts, but prefer the modern beaver tails and tighter barrel to bushing/lug fits (that's the ultimate source of accuracy).
I have a 9mm Kimber that their custom shop has worked on. It's held up extremely well with ~8k rounds.
By my fav is a well used EB. If you ever need work on it, they'll turn it around very fast and are great family to work with.
IMHO, get the best one you can afford and slowly do some customizing as you get more into it. The 1911forum is packed full of useful info and pics.
I would also recommend getting to know your local 'smiths with experience and reputations with 1911s. I'm a freak about trigger weight and creep, so if you're like me you'll become friendly with your smith as you go. Just avoid the 'gotta get the latest and greatest gadget' trap. Save your money and buy more ammo and solid instruction.
just my 2 cents...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Blasty

I just got int 1911's 2 weeks ago. All my buddies have Colts then send them to one smith or another and have them tuned to their liking. I planned on doing the same with a stock colt railgun....

I have a good friend that is a 1911 addict. He has 27 of them in one form or another......colt's, sti's, kimbers, springfields, les baer's, nighthawks, wilson combat and caspian's.....He pulled me aside and we went to the range with all of them....to be honest I could not tell you the best they all felt good and shot awesome.....but I could not get over how the $1000 kimber shot as compaired to the $2000 customs.... they were pretty darn close...yeah the customs were a bit better but not $1000....plus a pistol is not a bench gun.

Anyway, I ended up going with the Kimber tactical entry II....it had all the options I was looking for from the factory. It shoots like a dream and is all steel. I have not looked back and we have blown through 1500 rounds...it runs like a garden hose....have fun and good luck.....
</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango 396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Blasty

I just got int 1911's 2 weeks ago. All my buddies have Colts then send them to one smith or another and have them tuned to their liking. I planned on doing the same with a stock colt railgun....

I have a good friend that is a 1911 addict. He has 27 of them in one form or another......colt's, sti's, kimbers, springfields, les baer's, nighthawks, wilson combat and caspian's.....He pulled me aside and we went to the range with all of them....to be honest I could not tell you the best they all felt good and shot awesome.....but I could not get over how the $1000 kimber shot as compaired to the $2000 customs.... they were pretty darn close...yeah the customs were a bit better but not $1000....plus a pistol is not a bench gun.

Anyway, I ended up going with the Kimber tactical entry II....it had all the options I was looking for from the factory. It shoots like a dream and is all steel. I have not looked back and we have blown through 1500 rounds...it runs like a garden hose....have fun and good luck.....
</div></div>

I like kimber and own one, but understand that most are not right out of the box. Kimber has good customer service and will make it right, but you are the quality control. Mine had to back to get the Chamber reamed out, it was cut too tight. It also pre-mature slide lock backs, and surprisingly they knew about and offered to send me a modified slidelock. Mine now has 10k+ rounds and runs great all the time, but it had growing pains. </div></div>

Sometimes "Double Standards" amaze me. How can something that is supposedly one of the "Best" Factory guns be "not right out of the box"? If I came on here and said my new Taurus PT1911 was "not right out of the box" I would get an endless barrage of "what do you expect" or "I could have told you to expect that" or "It's a piece of crap and you wasted your money". This explains why there are so many Kimbers on G-Broker. I've never owned a Kimber and I'm not here to bash them because everyone loves them so much. I have shot them and was compelled to say how nice they were because it was always a friend's "new" gun. Fact is, they didn't really blow my skirt up. Functioned acceptably and was reasonably accurate. I'm just blown away by the fact that it's apparently acceptable for something that's supposed to be a High Quality pistol to not function perfectly.

I can tell you this... I'll never own a Kimber if this is true