• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Reliability?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    This is not meant to start a Glock vs 1911. Or anything there of. But I see many post on different forums about how so and so would much rather carry handgun a, b, or c over a 1911 for reliability. I can understand it's lacking in the capacity department. But my question is if the design has stuck around this long, been through various wars, why is it considered unreliable or a high maintenance system? For the 1911 owners do you find you have to keep the gun thoroughly cleaned to run?

Re: 1911 Reliability?

The weakest points about the 1911 design are the Extractor and the Plunger Tube. If the Plunger Tube is properly staked in place then it is rarely a problem. This leaves us with the Extractor. This part needs to be close to a spring steel sort of part. With so many manufacturers selling a 1911 Extractor, some parts aren't up to the task. If you have a Extractor that is made properly and is fitted properly then the gun will run for a long time.

Most Glocks will run for a long time right out of the box.

I think both designs will run quite dirty before they really need to be cleaned.

From what I've read on the internet, 1911s are never reliable unless worked over by a master smith, fire only ball ammo and must be cleaned and lubricated after each round. <end sarcasm>

Research the names you are interested in purchasing. You will find guys that swear the cheapest POS is as good as any master pistolsmith handcrafted version. Others will tell you none will ever run right. The truth is in the middle.

I've had far better luck with American built 1911s that American built autos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've read on the internet, 1911s are never reliable unless worked over by a master smith, fire only ball ammo and must be cleaned and lubricated after each round. <end sarcasm>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Research the names you are interested in purchasing. You will find guys that swear the cheapest POS is as good as any master pistolsmith handcrafted version. Others will tell you none will ever run right. The truth is in the middle. </span>

I've had far better luck with American built 1911s that American built autos.</div></div>

Lol that's exactly what i've heard. I've been looking and pretty much settled on springfield, but was just curious as to why i hear mixed reviews when it comes to the reliability of the system in general. Considering the history.

I like to look at it like cars and trucks (imagine that).
    OK so here you go.
    A stock old school Willy's Jeep could take you just about anywhere and you could just about widdle new parts out of wood you found in the forest. (the argument to stock and sloppy old school)
    Then you take the old school gun and give it to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. In this case you have a perfectly good Honda civic and some idiot puts on a muffler the size of a trash can, a open element filter in a hot engine compartment, 50mm plug wires that resemble garden hose, rip the carpet and spare tire out, cut the coils so it rides on the bump stops and wonders why all that 1000 horsepower stuff made the car go slower and wakes up the neighbors at night.

Then you have the guy that takes a 70 Chevelle tubs it, puts in a 500+ cubic inch Rodeck and a Lenco and runs 7's.

Last but not least you have the guy that will go down to the Ferrari dealership and buy a 599.

Three levels
    1. Works
    2. shit
    3. Wow

I think the platform is reliable if maintained. It has parts that dont have extremely long lifespans, IE extractor. The design at the time was ingenious, but it has been improved upon. As far as a carry gun I dont want to carry a 1911. Id rather have a plastic gun. And this is coming from a guy who is in the process of buying his first pistol, which is a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've read on the internet, 1911s are never reliable unless worked over by a master smith, fire only ball ammo and must be cleaned and lubricated after each round. <end sarcasm>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Research the names you are interested in purchasing. You will find guys that swear the cheapest POS is as good as any master pistolsmith handcrafted version. Others will tell you none will ever run right. The truth is in the middle. </span>

I've had far better luck with American built 1911s that American built autos.</div></div>

Lol that's exactly what i've heard. I've been looking and pretty much settled on springfield, but was just curious as to why i hear mixed reviews when it comes to the reliability of the system in general. Considering the history. </div></div>

I've got a custom Colt I used for competition and a couple of Springers. All have been reliable. The Springfield I carry is about 15 years old and seen plenty of use. It's a target model that is bone stock with no mods, after breaking it in with 150-200 rounds, it's been perfectly reliable and accurate.
    I think some people just get one that isn't properly tuned, then don't bother to put a few more bucks in to it in order to get things sorted out.
    Another truism may be that people get on the internet far more often to bitch about something than they do to praise them.
    Keep in mind, there are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of 1911's in use.

I have a Kimber SIS Pro and it delivers. It has been 100% reliable and has gone as many as 500 shots without a cleaning. The 1911 design is pure genius (IMO) to the point a child could tear one down and put it back together. If the 1911 design were flawed would there be so many different manufacturers producing them? I don't think so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the platform is reliable if maintained. It has parts that dont have extremely long lifespans, IE extractor. The design at the time was ingenious, but it has been improved upon. As far as a carry gun I dont want to carry a 1911. Id rather have a plastic gun. And this is coming from a guy who is in the process of buying his first pistol, which is a 1911. </div></div>

Same here to an extent. My first handgun that i purchase is intended to be a Springfield MC operator. Now i could see why you would want to carry a glock compact or some others. But if someone gave me a Kobra Carry i wouldn't hesitate to use it for it's intended use.

Whats the lifespan of the extractor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Meant to post this link...

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/05/1911-reliability-what-does-it-really.html</div></div>

Love the explanation on break in and it's my exact thoughts. I was never one to follow suit with breaking in rifle barrels either.

Was googling the same topic and noticed one statement that i never though of. One of the admin's on the 1911 forum posted this and it would make some sense as to why you see some people that have horrible experiences with the weapon.

"Note that the reputation for reliability and general ruggedness was made by the U.S. Army Model 1911 and Model 1911A1, made to rigid military specifications, not by the current crop of clones, too many of which are made to a price, with questionable workmanship and parts of poor quality or of unsuitable materials. "

A good 1911 is reliable. There are just a lot of poorly manufactured 1911's out there. The guns also need new springs at intervals and a lot of owners never change a spring.

It's like trying to get 500,000 miles on one set of shocks. It's not a working situation.

In addition to this, many guns have crappy magazines. That hurts reliability too.

As to life expectancy of the Extractor - my only personal experience is one whose tip broke off after 15,000+ rounds.

I had the firing pin block safety of my Kimber Tactical Custom II break/fall out somehow but thats the only problem I have ever had with a 1911. The lawyer safety should never have been designed in the first place and it just causes more problems that it solves. It was a really easy fix by just getting Series 70 firing pin and it bypasses the block inside the slide. Problem solved, back to running super reliable and smooth.

What the firing pin block safety is is there a small pin the pushes upward from the frame into a plunger that lifts a sliding block in the slide that moves out of the way of the stock firing pin, which has a flange that keeps it from moving all the way forward if the block is in place. The stupid safety pin fell out, and thus the safety would not disengage. A very bad design in my view. The safety is much like a glock plunger safety, but doesn't not work as well.

a good manufactured or custom 1911 can be very reliable. it also depends on what your definition of reliable is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-RN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a good manufactured or custom 1911 can be very reliable. it also depends on what your definition of reliable is.</div></div>

Reliable as in given that the user, I myself have kept the weapon in good condition, it's going to be reliable. Like an AR, doesn't have to be pristine but if it's parts are in good conditions and everything built to spec it will go through hell and back.

All in all made properly it's up their with the best, just guaranteed that affordable models are made properly is a gamble?

you will get what you pay for as they say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the firing pin block safety of my Kimber Tactical Custom II break/fall out somehow but thats the only problem I have ever had with a 1911.</div></div>

So you still haven't had a 1911 parts failure!

A good 1911 is as reliable as any other pistol. They did not go through 6 wars without being reliable. If you buy a cheap POS it will not be reliable. A good 1911 does not have to be done up by a gunsmith it will sometimes need a break in period to wear in the frame to slide fit. I guarantee you all of mine will still be used by great grandchildren. I have owned 1911s from $400 to $1600 and so far the best I have owned were made by Springfield, Ruger, and RIA. The Ruger is my daily carry and I ran USPSA with it and 2 Springfield's. The RIA needed about 300rds and then was well broke in. The TRP was good right out of the box as well as the Ruger. I had a Mil Spec I built up with Ed Brown parts and It was good to go after a 250rd break in.

Ha ha. Probably THE most tested weapon on this planet besides a blade and the bow and arrow. 100+ yrs in the field and people still question its reliability.

okie

My Kimber Pro Carry II has been very reliable. I had a rash during an IDPA competetion after an ammo change where I had 19 fail to eject or feed's in one night's match, with one of those fail to eject ending up with a total lockup jam. This rash of failures occurred at about 5000 rounds with almost no problems prior to that. The lockup jam ended up like this, the round fired, the shell extracted hit the ejector, the slide started forward and started to feed the new round which chambered with the old shell turned around rim to rim with the new shell. If I would not have seen it I would not have believed it. Now stating that, I spoke with Briley Mfg here in Houston and they told me to try a lighter recoil spring (20 from a 22lb spring) because it seemed like kimber put too much spring in it, and for the last 1000 rounds it has been flawless. No failures again.

So as stated earlier, the 1911 sometimes needs a little work to tweak the gun to get it to really run well

Personally, I am so over drinking that 1911 Koolaid. After, well let me count... Colt 1991A1, SW1911, Kimber TLE II, SW1911 Scandium, SIG SS 1911 & Colt 1911 Commander.

Ok, 6 1911's in the past 12 years. None of them were even close to what I consider reliable.

I don't believe you should not have to "tweak" a gun to get it to be reliable. My guns are used as a tools and I need them to function perfectly when the time comes.

As to Glock and 1911, I own both. I am partial to a 1911 and I love the platform. I have owned a cheap 1911 (Para Ordnance GI Expert) and an expensive 1911 (Ed Brown) As for the reliability, I broke an ejector in the Para--MIM part. I personally like the fact that in the Browns, Wilsons, Baers, all the important parts are forged or machined in house. My Ed Brown is made from carbon steel, and would survive a nuclear blast--it is an excellent firearm. If you are like me, and hate MIM parts you could always buy a production pistol, like a SA, and send it to Wilson or Brown and have them dump out all the MIM and install all the good stuff. Of course by the time you get it back you could have probably spent 500 bones more and got the real thing hand fitted by a master smith. To each thier own.

I certainly wouldn't bash production guns, SA, Kimber, etc, and there are those out there that have had 1000s of round without a problem--its just every hog to their own slop--I like my slop hand fitted.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I am so over drinking that 1911 Koolaid. After, well let me count... Colt 1991A1, SW1911, Kimber TLE II, SW1911 Scandium, SIG SS 1911 & Colt 1911 Commander.

Ok, 6 1911's in the past 12 years. None of them were even close to what I consider reliable.

I don't believe you should not have to "tweak" a gun to get it to be reliable. My guns are used as a tools and I need them to function perfectly when the time comes. </div></div>

Being a 1911 lover, and after saying all I said above, I actually agree with this, and would say that if out of the box, no worry reliability is what you are after, buy a Glock. Funny thing is a Glock is what I carry every day--even though I hate the stupid thing.

The MC operator i'm looking at is definitely going to have some work done to it. First and fore most checking, magwell, and refinish. More or less upgrades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The MC operator i'm looking at is definitely going to have some work done to it. First and fore most checking, magwell, and refinish. More or less upgrades. </div></div>

You gonna have a local guy do it or you gonna send it to one of the big box guys?

I have a SA GI1911. I replaced al of the MIM parts except for the mag release and trigger. Also, didn't replace the bbl. Got all of the parts here-

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?...404cn409b5o0457

Last thing was to send it off to Birdsong to have it painted to match my Tac Ops rifles. This 1911 shoots ever thing I put through it and is accurate. To clean it I just wipe it down.

SAGI1911.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

A couple of weeks ago i attended a Combat Hangun course...500+ rounds in one day with 12 students, 3 of whom started with 1911s...all of them failed to finish the class. I didn't ask what make they were but the owners supplied their own ammo so presume they knew what their guns normally like. I don't own a 1911 myself...yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I am so over drinking that 1911 Koolaid. After, well let me count... Colt 1991A1, SW1911, Kimber TLE II, SW1911 Scandium, SIG SS 1911 & Colt 1911 Commander.

I don't believe you should not have to "tweak" a gun to get it to be reliable. My guns are used as a tools and I need them to function perfectly when the time comes. </div></div>

Being a 1911 lover, and after saying all I said above, I actually agree with this, and would say that if out of the box, no worry reliability is what you are after, buy a Glock. Funny thing is a Glock is what I carry every day--even though I hate the stupid thing.</div></div>

Don't get me wrong, I still love the 1911 platform. They are probably my favorite guns of all times! In fact, I am looking at buying an STI Spartan as we speak. I guess you would call it a love-hate relationship. But... If I'm carrying to save my life, Glock is my go to gun.

I have two 1911's, one is a NH Talon that is "broken in" and the other is a Dan Wesson CCO that is nearly new. Two weeks ago at the range both weapons ran perfectly with 230 WWB, 230 Federal Premium HST +P, as well as 185gr. Winchester Silvertips. The Dan Wesson had just been cleaned and lubed by me while the NH was on it's third range trip without a cleaning, just a little lube on the rails as it is my daily carry gun. Are they as reliable as a Glock? Maybe not but I don't throw my sidearm in the mud.

I will say that I think that whole pistol reliabilty thing is a little out of hand these day, or maybe I'm just lucky(doubtful). I've been the owner of a Bersa .380 ACP (GASP) for 18 years, a Taurus PT101 .40(ULTRA GASP) for 16 years, a HK USP Compact .40(about two years before I sold her), a Beretta Custom Carry 9mm for ten years, the NH Talon for 7 years, a Browning Buckmark .22 for 4 years, and the new Dan Wesson for two months. I've NEVER had any of the following pistols jam, Not even the Bersa or Taurus.

I really think if you keep them clean and don't feed them shit ammo most, if not all, will be fine. I will add that I've never been to a two/three day pistol course where you go through 1500 rounds. But think about it, is that really anywhere close to the abuse that a normal pistol will endure.....Unless you are a sniper dropped behind enemy lines in a Rambo movie, NO!

If you are looking for a SHTF pistol to last forever, get a glock, otherwise I think a 1911 that is properly cared for will fullfill almost anyone's needs in a sidearm, just my two cents.

Edit to add: If you are into competitive shooting and do shoot thousands upon thousands from your pistol weekly, I think that you are bound to have parts wear out to the point that they need replaced. Does one handgun design lend itself to lasting longer than another? Maybe, but I'll say this.......probably the most durable/reliable gun that I've ever owned(the HK) I couldn't hit shit with. So all that durabilty was useless to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not the best of both worlds:
    A Glock 1911?</div></div>

Wouldn't that be nice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    You gonna have a local guy do it or you gonna send it to one of the big box guys? </div></div>

Haven't decided really, Tim Thompson is the local smith around here, and is well known for 1911 work. Depends on pricing and wait time. The finish i'm sending to Birdsong's for the Black-T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not the best of both worlds:
    A Glock 1911?
    </div></div>

Theoretically if Glock did make a 1911 i wonder what the price would be.

Saw this on the "Sniper Comp" aka Top Sniper 3 trailer. Looks like a MC operator thats been refinished.. though i cant tell for sure.

x2mhpe.jpg

I'm willing to trade a slight theoretical edge in reliability for a proven edge in accuracy.

And considering my Glock jammed on the 5th stage of the last match I shot, I'm not exactly a drinker of the "Polymer Is Perfection" kool-aide. I'm always suspicious of claims that any given firearm has gone for multiple thousands of rounds without a failure to feed or eject...it's just like those magical quarter-minute groups that everyone's rifle can print on demand.

One should read the torture test for the SA "FBI " contract or the old original military test for reliability.

I have many 1911's without any issues. I have been partly lucky and partly because I bought fine pistols. I had one "shorty" 1911 that required some break in. When I finish shooting, I run a snake, rub the feed ramp clean with oily rag and put a few drops of Frog lube. I take down and do full clean job rarely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I finish shooting, I run a snake, rub the feed ramp clean with oily rag and put a few drops of Frog lube. I take down and do full clean job rarely. </div></div>

How many rounds do you shoot in a session? I clean and lube mine fanatically. I might go 500 rounds max before cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any links to those? </div></div>
    This is a story on it--
    Not all the requirements are listed.

Springfield Contract Story
    JMC

I have had Kimbers (had) will never buy another, SA, NH, Wilsons, and a few customs.

I have never had issues with any of them other than the Kimbers. The last handgun class I went to I put over 800 rds down range in one day with my Wilson not one problem. We had I think (8) 1911s in that class. One of the SA operators dried up a started to have feeding problems. Once re-lubed it was good to go.

I think a lot of the problems with 1911s are operator error (along with poor mags), you have a lot more going on. Thumb safety off and beaver tail safety pressed, miss one and you have a dead gun. It takes a good bit of training to get proficient with a 1911 (like anything else in this sport).

On a side note the Birdsong finish is too soft for my liking and went south fast. You have way better finish choices out there.
    YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I finish shooting, I run a snake, rub the feed ramp clean with oily rag and put a few drops of Frog lube. I take down and do full clean job rarely. </div></div>

How many rounds do you shoot in a session? I clean and lube mine fanatically. I might go 500 rounds max before cleaning.</div></div>

I've seen 1911's go 3k+ between cleanings. Just have to keep them wet, and they need to be well built to begin with.

Mine definitely have a few thousand on them without cleaning. I use grease to lube them.

Admittedly, I'm a sample size of one so the statistical relevance is zero, but I have several 1911s, they are all I shoot and I never have had any problems with any of them - and I don't do anything special in terms of keeping them clean.

Multiple guns have round counts in the 10s of 1000s with nothing more than fresh springs.

Granted, with the exception of a LB TRS, all have been worked over by one of a few great 'smiths that I trust.

I have a Glock 21 45acp and several 1911 45acp and never had any problem with any of my guns, don't have to do anything special to maintain reliability and my everyday carry is a 1911 full size,needless to say I bet my life on my 1911's reliability, so does the FBI,and many swat teams around the nation. after 100 years it is still around and with very high marks so go figure.

The only "breakage" I've experienced in a 1911 is a gunsmith installed front sight that disappeared one day at the range.

The only feed issues I've had is a used 70 series Colt that is finicky about short rounds. Light weight bullets have to be seated shallower than 230 grain bullets or they do the nose up misfeed thing. That issue does not affect my Series 80.

All this stuff about unreliable 1911's. I've never had one that was unreliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Glock 21 45acp and several 1911 45acp and never had any problem with any of my guns, don't have to do anything special to maintain reliability and my everyday carry is a 1911 full size,needless to say I bet my life on my 1911's reliability, so does the FBI,and many swat teams around the nation. after 100 years it is still around and with very high marks so go figure. </div></div>

The FBI reference you mention is a double edged sword.

First, those are guns straight from the custom shop that cost about $2500+... so what you are agreeing with is that off-the-shelf commercial 1911's today are NOT up to the standard that they demand. On that we agree.

Second, everyone who has a Pro, has two... in case one breaks. This is a second hint.

Third, they guys who are provided the Pro's are NOT allowed to open them up. Was at a 1911 class with one such guy, and he brought a privately owned 1911 along so he could take something apart during the detailed disassembly portion of the class. So those Pro's remain exactly as their highly talented armorers set them up, and are ONLY worked on by a staff of highly trained 1911 guru's.

Fourth, carrying the Pro is a choice, and there are just as many Glock 21's in holsters of the famed FBI team as there are Pro's.

Fielding 1911's as a duty gun is a logistical (and cost) nightmare, that doesn't really make sense. There are VERY few people in uniform today who are limited accuracy wise by the mechanical accuracy of a Glock 21 or an M&P45.

8 round, steel framed, full size pistols with external safeties are pretty different from the most popular guns in LE today (15 round capacity, .40S&W, polymer frame, no external safeties).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, those are guns straight from the custom shop that cost about $2500+... so what you are agreeing with is that off-the-shelf commercial 1911's today are NOT up to the standard that they demand. On that we agree.
    </div></div>

Depends on which shelf one shops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Second, everyone who has a Pro, has two... in case one breaks.
    </div></div>

They probably would have a backup regardless of what they carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Third, they guys who are provided the Pro's are NOT allowed to open them up.

Fourth, carrying the Pro is a choice, and there are just as many Glock 21's in holsters of the famed FBI team as there are Pro's.
    </div></div>

Just making an educated goess, but they probably are not allowed to "open up" or do a detail strip on any of their issued weapons. Are they disassembling the triggers on their Glock, rifles, or AR's? Just guessing that only an armorer is allowed to work on any of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Fielding 1911's as a duty gun is a logistical (and cost) nightmare, that doesn't really make sense.
    </div></div>

Lowest cost of acquisition and maintenance is a major factor for many decisions, but could there be another factor which was deemed more important and makes sense?

fwiw - I own 1911's and G19's, and like both. The Les Baer SRP 1911 is my go to.

I've owned several 1911's, and I have found that some were deserving of their "reputation" for being unreliable and some were the best pistols a guy could ask for.

What it came down to was that cheapo 1911's like firestorm, citadel, rock island, sucked.

My springfield TRP is 100% great. It is as reliable as my glocks and more reliable than my smith and wesson.

The TRP is a $1300 gun and is considered by many to be about the lower level of the good 1911's. Upper level would be nighthawk, les baer, wilson combat, and start over $2k for an all steel model.

Kimber custom 2 with 4k through it. bought it brand new. First 200 rounds through it had a total of 4 jams. After the first 200 I fully disassembled it and cleaned it. Since then it has honestly never had a problem. Ive ran it till it was so hot I got a blister from touching the slide and smoked the oil off the bbl. And Ive put 950 rounds through it without cleaning OR oiling. Still runs. I have found that 99.9999999999999999% of 1911 issues are related to magazines. (or brazil made springfields) I have had S. A. owners give me crap for having a Kimber for some reason. My response is, I like American made 1911's, they can keep their brazilian made peace of shit. (most of the guys that talk crap on kimbers have the cheap end of SA 1911. I know the high end SA guns are still made in America) I got nothing against anything that SA makes but people have no right to talk shit on Kimber when they are running a SA GI.(Made in Brazil)

I got both. Yeah that glock sure is reliable. But if I had to beat some one to death I want to do it with my 1911 !
    God Bless John Browning !

Reliability is not the argument between polymer vs 1911. There are plenty of different legitimate arguments that can be made, but reliability shouldn't be one of them.