• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors 1911 Work

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
Well,

I've decided to perform work on 1911's to compliment my rifle builds. This will include complete custom 1911 builds and re-finishing. I just finished a complete tear down, clean and re-finish on this Para-Ordinance 1911. Flat Black and Flat Dark Earth KG Gun Kote.

2jacm5h.jpg

2rzaq28.jpg

2reh3d1.jpg

4uf5fo.jpg

Re: 1911 Work

Beautiful work! I like that 2-tone, but I think I want a flat-black frame, and a grey-green "parkerized" slide.

How does GUNKOTE hold up to holster wear and abrasion? I've done a few in Dura Cote, and I wasn't crazy about the results.

The KG Gun Kote holds up pretty well...though that's a relative term. If you take it to the range once in awhile in it's nice padded case and fire 100 rounds, then return it to it's case...then any finish will last for years. If you use it hard and do thousands of presentations from the holster, drag it lowcrawling through the mud, etc., then any finish will wear.

The key with any spray on finish is is the prep. Thorough degreasing, media blasting, preheating, etc. make all the difference in how well it holds out. In my experience the best wearing spray on finishes are the ones that are done over a coat of parkerizing.

That's crap. I'll give you $100 for it just to save you the embarrassment of showing it around. And if you screw up the next one too I'll give you another $100 for it too just to help a brother out.
whistle.gif