• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1961 U.S Property Rem 40x in Dunlap stock still shooting

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I bought a US Property marked Remington 40x barreled action, sans trigger, from Jpretle here on the hide (good guy to deal with). This gun was a CMP gun and made in 1961. I had a Roy Dunlap stock (pretty famous Gunsmith back in the day) that I got at auction and needed a 40x for it. The Dunlap stock is a huge laminated thing, and reeks of vintage small bore. The receiver is skim coated in some lime green type epoxy/fiberglass/plastic/acraglass type of bedding material. I have a match trigger I'm waiting to receive so I dropped a take-off Remington 700 trigger in it with some ground off screws for trigger pins. Dropped the barreled action in the stock and put a vintage Remington 3200 20x fine cross hair with dot scope on it. I grabbed some SK Standard practice ammo (good ammo but not top of the line) and thought I'd get a rough idea of how this 1961 work horse would shoot. Well, 1/4 moa is not to shabby for this cobbled together creation. I am impressed. This 40x even has the lighter weight tapered target barrel. I can't think of a harder reticle to see on a black small bore target than a fine cross hair.

TQ301Dul.jpg

ir88JTml.jpg

pJ6fS6ol.jpg

p2pWnRQl.jpg

iCoiIWnl.jpg

nq00QQ4l.jpg

ecigYuml.jpg

Buffalo

That is quite the awesome rifle. Did you say a Remington 3200 or is that a Redfield as it shows on the mount for the W-E? Or, were they the same at the time? I do think it's interesting that this scope looks much like a Unertl or Fecker yet has internal W-E vs. external.

So, where do you get a stock like that today? Or, do you gotta start glueing blocks together and start chopping, sanding and inletting yourself?

Yes, Redfield 3200. This was an "improvement " on the externally adjustable Lyman and Fecker target scopes in the early 1970's. They are very nice scopes with very clear optics but suffer from the small ocular and focus adjustment on the objective lens. Richard's microfit still makes laminated stocks and I believe Boyd's does also.

Here is a stock I made for a Winchester Hotchkiss by laminating 1" pine boards. It was intended to be just an inletted finished stock for a pantograph to copy in nice walnut, but it turned out so well I decided to just keep it.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/IndJgmGl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/oULGPdEl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Here is a Krag "bullgun" with a Richards MicroFit laminated stock.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/GIDSBuhl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    bs0065.jpg

Last edited: