• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1984 Model Remington 700 PSS

adm09_003

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Canton, Texas
Hey everyone I was offered a Remington 700 PSS rifle that was bought new in 1984 by the older gentleman that is offering it to me. He bought it new and maybe shot it 5 times before putting it in his safe, one of his many safes, where it’s just been sitting! He said he would sell it to me for $700. I don’t see any rusting or anything in the barrel grooves. What do y’all think about the deal?! Thanks in advance!! BTW the serial number is E6829912 if anyone has more specifics on the rifle!

FWIW, I just bought one second hand, but NIB, for $600. POS stock, but X Mark trigger and 26" barrel.

What year what it? Is it the Police Sniper System?

Dont know the year but not more than a year old. It just says Remington 700 SPS Varmint so it may be different. Havent had a chance to put glass on it yet but the action and trigger are smoothe.

Its a fair price OP but not a great price. See if he will take $650.

Hey everyone I was offered a Remington 700 PSS rifle that was bought new in 1984 by the older gentleman that is offering it to me. He bought it new and maybe shot it 5 times before putting it in his safe, one of his many safes, where it’s just been sitting! He said he would sell it to me for $700. I don’t see any rusting or anything in the barrel grooves. What do y’all think about the deal?! Thanks in advance!! BTW the serial number is E6829912 if anyone has more specifics on the rifle!

My two 700P's are an E6 20" fluted and a D6 26" HBAR. I can't say if $700 is a good price, bad price, or average price. I can say mine were about $400 each (if memory serves) roughly 20 years ago. Yours will have the original Walker triggers; and of course Mike Walker was still alive and still working at the Ilion plant when your rifle was born (he invented the 700 and the triggers). So that rifle has a history. By rule they are guaranteed 5 shot groups of 1" at 100 yards. I'm seeing about 0.5" at 100 yards, and mine are totally stock. I think you should totally jump on it. Worst case you spent $700. People will want these old ones with the 26" barrels because now the LEO rifles are 24" and the longer ones should have slightly higher velocity; so you can sell it if you don't like it.

Dont know the year but not more than a year old. It just says Remington 700 SPS Varmint so it may be different. Havent had a chance to put glass on it yet but the action and trigger are smoothe.

Big difference from the old remingtons to the new ones. Would say a PSS would be worth more than an SPS varmint.

Big difference from the old remingtons to the new ones. Would say a PSS would be worth more than an SPS varmint.

I can only go by the employee plan prices; but I just got an SPS Tactical AAC-SD Coyote Tan 6.5 and I paid $351. You aren't allowed to buy the PSS on the family plan these days because the LEO catagory isn't on the spreadsheet; but I paid I think $450 back in 2005? Give or take? So if you figure $550 now; then a 700P with H-S Precision stock is worth 2x an SPS with a Hogue stock. Give or take.