• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1997 Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special .243

tackdriver1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2010
Just picked one of these up the other day and mounted the new Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 on it.
First .243 I have ever owned.
It is mint with factory barrel. Referenced the serial and it comes back 1997 production.
I am looking for an answer to a few questions I have.
First, what rate of twist was the barrel for this rifle? I am getting mixed info. Some say 1-12 others say 1-9....need help.
Second, I hear they can shoot, but any ideas on accurizing this rifle? I would like to put a Timney in it. But I want to leave the stock, it is a pretty light blonde stock.
Just looking for some thoughts.
Best group I got with HSN 95gr Berger VLD's the other day was 1in....

Thank you kindly,

I have a .243 VLS from the same time period and I believe it is a 1-9.125 twist. Mine shoots everything from 75gr Hornady HPs, 87 V Max's to 105 gr A Max's.

I like the Timney 517 with the flat trigger shoe, I have one in my .308 and one will going in my .243 very soon. I ordered it directly from Timney set at 2.5 pds.

Just picked one of these up the other day and mounted the new Zeiss Terra 3-9x42 on it.
First .243 I have ever owned.
It is mint with factory barrel. Referenced the serial and it comes back 1997 production.
I am looking for an answer to a few questions I have.
First, what rate of twist was the barrel for this rifle? I am getting mixed info. Some say 1-12 others say 1-9....need help.
Second, I hear they can shoot, but any ideas on accurizing this rifle? I would like to put a Timney in it. But I want to leave the stock, it is a pretty light blonde stock.
Just looking for some thoughts.
Best group I got with HSN 95gr Berger VLD's the other day was 1in....

Thank you kindly,
Yup, same twist as my 1989 varmint Special 6mmREM, 1 in 9&1/8", it shot the 95VLDs like this at 100yds a bit over 10yrs ago. You gotta touch the lands with those VLDs, then you'll shrink your groups, your rifle should easily shoot .5moa at 100yds. I've got a jewell trigger on mine,(set at 9oz at the time, now it's about 6oz.) a very good investment.(Bottom rifle in pic)
RNfWxrK.jpg

3gke640.jpg

not to completely dissuade you from the timney, but the old style remmy trigger on that rifle can be tuned up VERY nicely by a competent gunsmith. I have a '97-98 vintage Sendero, and a gunsmith tuned it to the proverbial "breaks like glass" stage at just under 3 lbs. total cost was about $75.

that is a great rifle you have there. once youve got the trigger sorted, id shoot it as-is before you do anything else to it and see how it does.

not to completely dissuade you from the timney, but the old style remmy trigger on that rifle can be tuned up VERY nicely by a competent gunsmith. I have a '97-98 vintage Sendero, and a gunsmith tuned it to the proverbial "breaks like glass" stage at just under 3 lbs. total cost was about $75.

that is a great rifle you have there. once youve got the trigger sorted, id shoot it as-is before you do anything else to it and see how it does.
Indeed, I've tuned a few old style rem triggers, some I've got down to 19-20oz, it's very easy to get that trigger to 2.5lbs, like a 3rd grader could do it.

Thank you all for the information.
I have a few other Timneys and I really like them! I am trying to work some brass up so I will most likely shoot through a few boxes.
I have had great luck with Remington Premier ammo out of my Rem 700 LVSF in .221 Fireball shooting 59gr. Have not even attempted to reload for the rifle due to the fact that the gun can touch em dime size 5 shot groups at 100yds. But I would like to try for that out of this rifle. Might try a few 75, 95, and 100 grainers in this .243. As you can see it has the original stock and its very clean. I may replace it someday but I believe it to be a pretty cut of wood and like the old look. I will definitely take the advice on seating my bullets to the lands, that's usually how I always set my dies for a certain rifle. By chance have any of you had a chance to look through one of these Zeiss scopes, they have always been out of my price range(Been a Leupold guy for years) but they sure are clear! And in low light as well!
Thanks guys. When I get a few more range reports, I will update this thread.

Attachments

• 20131002_223818.jpg
    20131002_223818.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20131002_223751.jpg
    20131002_223751.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 42
Thank you all for the information.
I have a few other Timneys and I really like them! I am trying to work some brass up so I will most likely shoot through a few boxes.
I have had great luck with Remington Premier ammo out of my Rem 700 LVSF in .221 Fireball shooting 59gr. Have not even attempted to reload for the rifle due to the fact that the gun can touch em dime size 5 shot groups at 100yds. But I would like to try for that out of this rifle. Might try a few 75, 95, and 100 grainers in this .243. As you can see it has the original stock and its very clean. I may replace it someday but I believe it to be a pretty cut of wood and like the old look. I will definitely take the advice on seating my bullets to the lands, that's usually how I always set my dies for a certain rifle. By chance have any of you had a chance to look through one of these Zeiss scopes, they have always been out of my price range(Been a Leupold guy for years) but they sure are clear! And in low light as well!
Thanks guys. When I get a few more range reports, I will update this thread.
Zeiss are nice scopes, since I got my first Sightron Id probably get another one, my 8-32 has gobs of eye relief for such a high power scope.

Just reporting back.
The Zeiss is as expected...great glass.
Recently loaded a few rounds and after 2 trips to the range this is what I got.
In 5 shot increments.
All bullets jumped .010 from the lands.
Remington brass
CCI 200 primers

87 gr Berger VLD
41.5 gr H4350
1" at 100 yds

42 gr H4350
1" at 100 yds

42.5 gr H4350 *Best load
.7" at 100 yds
(Friend had a MagnetoSpeed V3 Chrony)
3160 fps

Now to compare, I picked up a few Hornady V-Max.

87 gr Hornady V-Max
42.5 gr H4350 *Best load
.7" at 100 yds
3158 fps

The loads were very consistent with a standard deviation of 5 out of 40 rounds loaded.
The kicker is with each 5 shot group, I had 1 flyer, or what I would call a flyer...only 1"max from the rest of the group! I know that's not a lot but it has to be because I am timing the trigger. So we will see how much better the groups get with a Timney set to 2lbs respectively.

Now what I am wondering is why I got more velocity out of the 87 gr Berger than the book showed with a lighter than max load in a 1-9.25 twist barrel. Max said 43 gr of H4350 with a 87/88 grainer.
All testing comparable in the #1 Berger Manual showed 100fps difference. Not complaining at all haha Your guess is as good as mine!
Will have pics after a trip the range today comparing H4350 and IMR 4350. Then I can find my best load out of the 2 powders.

Thanks again,
-Tack

About your fliers. I'm not sure what you mean about "timing the trigger" but allow me to make 2 points. I had a similar 700 that had fliers like yours. A good bedding job brought the groups well bellow MOA. Yes the old style triggers can me made great.