• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1k for best 22lr rifle help

Berkman1981

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Dfw
900-1k budget for 22lr.

I do not want to spend more than $900- 1k total to have the rifle in my hands ready to shoot. I have rings and scope already.

Leaning towards b-14r right now. Only 2 must haves are threaded barrel and LOP needs to be at least 14.25 but prefer a little more. Don't care if it's heavy and don't mind used. I don't mind piecing together

Thanks

Last edited:
Personally I would lean towards cz457 but that's just because I don't have much experience with b14.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I don't think you can really go wrong with the B-14, a CZ457, or Tikka T1x. If I had to buy one right now it would probably be whatever was available to me. That said, I have a T1x and love it.
321221CA-9428-4F29-9816-22681E97EBA2.jpeg

Can I get a t1x in a stock that has the lop I want for under 1k?

I love my sons tikka so I know they are good rifles

Within that price range you could easily go with a B14r. On the other hand, and with some smart shopping, you could probably get a nice CZ 457 in a chassis. Depending on what you want to do in the future with triggers, upgrades etc. - the CZ can be an adventure just as much as the B14r would be - you have more options with the CZ though.

I only have experience with the Bergara B14 but mine was worth it. Good shooter and personally I love the trigger.

Reactions: JH1961
I'm a Tikka fan as well, they're really great rifles for what they cost. I've been using one for squirrel hunting heavily and occasional target shooting for a few years now and love it. I've gotten 5 shot groups in the .2 range @50 with it straight out of the box without any tinkering at all. I have friends with the 457s to and they are great shooters to. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the B14, but from the reviews ive read I bet they're great as well. It'll probably be the preference of stock and platform that will be the deciding factor. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Have a CZ457 in a Boyds AT-One. Shoots great, trigger will go stupid light with a Yo Dave spring, and had enough adjustment to get the LOP I needed. Stock is, uhm, cheapish feeling. Have a B14R, had to fiddle with the extractors to get it to play nice and with all the spacers installed LOP is perfect. Also shoots great and a TT Diamond made a world of diference. Love it but...

Love my B14r, but now I want a Vudoo
My Vudoo lands in March! :LOL:

Reactions: r3plicator
Have a CZ457 in a Boyds AT-One. Shoots great, trigger will go stupid light with a Yo Dave spring, and had enough adjustment to get the LOP I needed. Stock is, uhm, cheapish feeling. Have a B14R, had to fiddle with the extractors to get it to play nice and with all the spacers installed LOP is perfect. Also shoots great and a TT Diamond made a world of diference. Love it but...

Nice! I got my B14r barreled action, put it in a KRG X-ray and it shot great, should have left it alone there. Instead I swapped in a Manners prs2 and put a triggertech diamond in it, now im like well ive done this much why don’t I just go for a Vudoo barreled action?

Nice! I got my B14r barreled action, put it in a KRG X-ray and it shot great, should have left it alone there. Instead I swapped in a Manners prs2 and put a triggertech diamond in it, now im like well ive done this much why don’t I just go for a Vudoo barreled action?
You wanna sell that krg xray?

• Haha
I thought the same. "Self" I says "Got the B14R how I like but the money would have bought a Vudoo!" Self says to buy a damn Vudoo then so I did! I was quite proud until that moment that it hit me and I yelled out loud "FUCK! I need a scope!" The rest is not pretty... :LOL:

For ~1K ready to shoot I'd get - https://www.area419.com/product/cz-457-mtr-fully-loaded/

What kind of shooting are you planning on doing? Recommendation is for going down the route of PRS Rimfire / NRL22.

Tikka T1X is a solid route as well. B14R puts you over budget if you're adding in accessories for NRL22...
That's first one is a little short on the stock. Just getting it for practice mainly. Very small shot I get into comps. Maybe my son would use it for 4h competitions. I have lots of accessories for my big boy guns that I could use I'm guessing for competition but again that's slim that it will happen.

Thanks for response

I'm a big fan of Tikka rifles but wasn't impressed with the T1x and sold it. If I were to get back into a decent .22LR, would look at a CZ next.

Was is an seemly fit between the ba and that stock?

Thanks
The X-ray was awesome, felt great was priced great. Im more of a manners guy and wanted to set the b14r up as a trainer and mimic my GA Precision so I went to a prs2

Any of y'all that have gotten the b-14r where you able to get it under 950 +shipping? And if so where?

Thanks for all the responses

Any of y'all that have gotten the b-14r where you able to get it under 950 +shipping? And if so where?

It's not too hard. I have gotten 3, B-14R's for under $1K each this year from vendors that advertise on gunbroker. ( Not through GB but directly from the shops themselves.) I believe there is a vendor here ( in the rimfire classifieds) that has them similarly priced right now.

Between the T1x and the 457, I'd go with the 457

I put together a 457 in an XLR chassis for my son for Christmas a few years back. It shot so great, that I figured I'd build its T1x twin, since all the reviews say they are about the same.

Shooting side my side, the results were close, but everything about the CZ was nicer - except how easy it is to do the yo-dave spring change. It's just stupid easy on the Tikka. Not much harder with the CZ... just the difference between unscrewing the set screw with the T1x, vs driving out the roll pin on the CZ.

I sold the T1x and I'm waiting for a lefty B14R barreled action, since I have a MPA waiting for it.

IMG_2318.jpg

It's not too hard. I have gotten 3, B-14R's for under $1K each this year from vendors that advertise on gunbroker. ( Not through GB but directly from the shops themselves.) I believe there is a vendor here ( in the rimfire classifieds) that has them similarly priced right now.
Thanks. I found one on gb and reached out to buy directly and right now can get steel barrel for 905 plus shipping. Decent deal I think.

900-1k budget for 22lr.

I do not want to spend more than $900- 1k total to have the rifle in my hands ready to shoot. I have rings and scope already.

Leaning towards b-14r right now. Only 2 must haves are threaded barrel and LOP needs to be at least 14.25 but prefer a little more. Don't care if it's heavy and don't mind used. I don't mind piecing together

Thanks
I have a couple of both the B14R's and CZ 457s. One each are pretty much stock. One each have been restocked and or notably modified. Here are my thoughts:

Stocks: I really like the mini chassis on the B14 over any offering I've tried on the CZ 457. It's functional, stable and good looking. Many of the CZ's use wood which can create it's own issues ( My walnut VPT MTR seems pretty stable though.). There are some nice aftermarket stocks/chassis for either though. The B14 uses a Rem 700 action footprint so those replacement choices are near limitless.
Triggers: Both have good triggers that can be brought down into the 1# range with little effort. Both have aftermarket triggers available (although there are more choices on the B14 since it uses rem 700 parts)
Action: I like the 60 deg bolt throw on the CZ and the fact that it takes less effort ( and resulting recital movement) to cock for follow up shots. The B14's 700 action is nice and doubles as a trainer.
Barrels" I'm not a fan of 16" barrels (which seem to come on most CZ's these days) and prefer the Bergara's chunkier18" . The 20" CZ barrels are nice but don't come threaded (from the factory). Again, there are aftermarket solutions but they can get expensive fast.
Mags: Both mag systems work very well and cost the same. I can't say I've had ANY mag issues in factory or aftermarket stocks with either brand.
Accuracy. I'd almost call it a wash in my 100 yd testing and within the expected variances from gun to gun. It's all about feeding either ammo they prefer. If pressed, I'd vote that MAYBE my B14's have a slight edge in accuracy over my factory CZs..
Weight: The B14's (either carbon or steel) tend to be heavier than any of their CZ counterparts as they come out of the box. How good/bad that is depends on intended use.
Summary: I don't think I would be unhappy with either brand if I had to pic only one. That said, the B14 would be my choice for a out of the box gun but a CZ 457 with aftermarket stock (and/or barrel if needed) would be a close second.
Your mileage may vary.
Disclosure: I'm not competing in NRL/PRS with these rifles. I'm just enjoying the quality and accuracy while informally competing against myself and buddies.
hth

Last edited:
I have a couple of both the B14R's and CZ 457s. One each are pretty much stock. One each have been restocked and or notably modified. Here are my thoughts:

Stocks: I really like the mini chassis on the B14 over any offering I've tried on the CZ 457. It's functional, stable and good looking. Many of the CZ' use wood which can create it's own issues ( My walnut VPT MTR seems pretty stable though.). There are some nice aftermarket stocks/chassis for either though. teh B14 uses a 700 action so those replacement choices are near limitless.
Triggers: Both have good triggers that can be brought down into the 1# range with little effort. Both have aftermarket triggers available (although there are more choices on the B14 since it uses rem 700 parts)
Action: I like the 60 deg bolt throw on the CZ and the fact that it takes less effort ( and resulting recital movement) to cock for follow up shots. The B14's 700 action is nice and doubles as a trainer.
Barrels" I'm not a fan of 16" barrels (which seem to come on most CZ's these days) and prefer the Bergara's chunkier18" . The 20" CZ barrels are nice but don't come threaded (from the factory). Again, there are aftermarket solutions but they can get expensive fast.
Mags: Both mag systems work very well and cost the same. I can't say I've had ANY mag issues in factory or aftermarket stocks with either brand.
Accuracy. I'd almost call it a wash in my 100 yd testing and within the expected variances from gun to gun. It's all about feeding either ammo they prefer. If pressed, I'd vote that MAYBE my B14's have a slight edge in accuracy..
Weight: The B14's (either carbon or steel) tend to be heavier than any of their CZ counterparts as they come out of the box. How good/bad that is depends on intended use.
Summary: I don't think I would be unhappy with either brand if I had to pic only one. That said, the B14 would be my choice for a out of the box gun but a CZ 457 with aftermarket stock (and/or barrel if needed) would be a close second.
Your mileage may vary.
Disclosure: I'm not competing in NRL/PRS with these rifles. I'm just enjoying the quality and accuracy while informally competing against myself and buddies.
hth
Dang, thanks for all that info!

Reactions: WeeHooker
Another vote for the 457.

I have a B-14R (steel) and a 457. I'm selling the B-14R to another fella at my club.

Actually. I have two 457s. One with a match chamber and one with a "normal" chamber. Both of them shoot as well, if not better, than the B-14R but with far less headaches with the magazines.

You wanna sell that krg xray?
You should be aware that KRG does not support the B-14R.

"*We do not guarantee the proper function of Bergara B-14r (rimfire) mags in our chassis."

The mags for the B-14R are a total crap-shoot in aftermarket stocks/chassis. I put mine in a x-ray and it failed to feed about 2-3 cartridges per magazine. Then, I put it in a xrs and it failed to feed about 1-2 cartridges per magazine (i.e. slightly better than the KRG but not competition-trustworthy). I created hdpe shims for the magazines to get it to run reliably in the xrs for this season. Looking forward to getting rid of the action.

Another fella in my club runs a B-14R in a acc chassis. It ran perfectly all season until the last match and then, suddenly, started having the same feeding issues I had with the xrs.

I went with a used B14. Because it was available and had extra upgrades I was going to buy anyway. Originally I was looking at the CZ because I own 3 other CZ brand firearms and love CZ. But I love the B14. Very competitive shooter. Guy at our club who is always at the top of the comps, shoots a CZ. He’s dominating over vudoos as well. They all shoot good. But learning to run stages makes a huge difference. Accuracy of course, but you need to be accurate fast.
As for magazine issues. I have not had one failure to feed or eject with me B14 in original stock/chassis. Gun runs flawlessly.

Last edited:

"*We do not guarantee the proper function of Bergara B-14r (rimfire) mags in our chassis."

The mags for the B-14R are a total crap-shoot in aftermarket stocks/chassis. I put mine in a x-ray and it failed to feed about 2-3 cartridges per magazine. Then, I put it in a xrs and it failed to feed about 1-2 cartridges per magazine (i.e. slightly better than the KRG but not competition-trustworthy). I created hdpe shims for the magazines to get it to run reliably in the xrs for this season. Looking forward to getting rid of the action.

Another fella in my club runs a B-14R in a acc chassis. It ran perfectly all season until the last match and then, suddenly, started having the same feeding issues I had with the xrs.
Good to know. I’ve been looking at the KRG Bravo for my B14. I had not read or heard of mag issues. Thanks.

I had mine in that X-Ray and it ran perfect

Reactions: Bgriff008
Good to know. I’ve been looking at the KRG Bravo for my B14. I had not read or heard of mag issues. Thanks.

I had mine in that X-Ray and it ran perfect

Like I said, it's a crap-shoot. Works great for some folks; causes problems for others. When I contacted KRG about my magazine issues, they replied as follows.

"We do not guarantee proper function of of the B-14r magazine in our chassis. Some people have had no issue with them and others cannot get them to work. Most who have had issues and were successful in getting them to feed say that the there is a narrow “sweet spot” in adjusting the forend and trigger-guard. I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you."

I could never find that "sweet spot." I probably spent every evening for a week messing around with the chassis fore-end and trigger-guard. I swapped it to the XRS and had the same problem. What ended up working for me (in the XRS) is the recommendation here.

Like I said, it's a crap-shoot. Works great for some folks; causes problems for others. When I contacted KRG about my magazine issues, they replied as follows.

"We do not guarantee proper function of of the B-14r magazine in our chassis. Some people have had no issue with them and others cannot get them to work. Most who have had issues and were successful in getting them to feed say that the there is a narrow “sweet spot” in adjusting the forend and trigger-guard. I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you."

I could never find that "sweet spot." I probably spent every evening for a week messing around with the chassis fore-end and trigger-guard. I swapped it to the XRS and had the same problem. What ended up working for me (in the XRS) is the recommendation here.
I know it’s zoomed in but that piece of plastic seems to be filling significant gap. Glad it worked.

I wasnt doubting the problems just saying my one experience with that combo ran fine. Another topic is not being able to buy any replacement parts from Bergara, makes me a little nervous if/when I have to troubleshoot anything. I really need a Vudoo now 🤣

I know it’s zoomed in but that piece of plastic seems to be filling significant gap. Glad it worked.
Correct. That gap varies depending on your stock/chassis choice. I suspect it would have worked with the X-Ray as well but I developed a preference for the XRS while I was messing with the mags.

I should also point out that the rifle functioned almost flawlessly in the OE stock. Bergara must have spent some time tuning the mags to their bottom metal and action. It's only when you go aftermarket that you might run into fitment issues.

Reactions: Bgriff008
900-1k budget for 22lr.

Thanks
I have a B14r with the carbon fiber barrel. It's an amazing rifle. In fact, I just ordered a B14r barreled action with the steel barrel from Aces and Eights. This rifle has an MPA chassis, Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30, and a Trigger Tech trigger.
Bergara B14r Carbon.jpg

Mi

Mine is at the gun shop waiting for bs paperwork so that I can pick it up.
stupid Aussie gun law shit 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Between the T1x and the 457, I'd go with the 457

I put together a 457 in an XLR chassis for my son for Christmas a few years back. It shot so great, that I figured I'd build its T1x twin, since all the reviews say they are about the same.

Shooting side my side, the results were close, but everything about the CZ was nicer - except how easy it is to do the yo-dave spring change. It's just stupid easy on the Tikka. Not much harder with the CZ... just the difference between unscrewing the set screw with the T1x, vs driving out the roll pin on the CZ.

I sold the T1x and I'm waiting for a lefty B14R barreled action, since I have a MPA waiting for it.

View attachment 7787434
What about the cz exactly do you prefer?

I can't remember what I paid exactly for mine on Gunbroker but it was around 935 plus shipping and tax

I may just have a unicorn barrel, but my 457 ProVarmint is hilariously accurate. Have yet to find ammo that it doesn't shoot well. I've shot a couple of Ely flavors, couple of CCI and all Federal flavors. Bought a bulk pack of the Federal Champion 40g training ammo on sale just to see how it would do and buddy and I were looking at each other like that can't be right. I've since purchased 12 more 800 bulk boxes my ammo search is done. Threw it in a KRG Bravo it's my fav rifle.

Anschutz 1416 HB with Nikon with custom turrets.

this is such an underrated response, I cannot like it enough. unfortunately, the 22lr world here on the Hide has jumped all-in on chassis guns, but the 1416HB is just a thing of beauty and a real value. i picked one up here on the hide several years ago for about $800. it seems that in current production they have been discontinued. probably because of the chassis trend i mentioned above.

oh well. the tastes of the market and shooters change. current trends are why i have been able to pick up fully loaded Winchester 52b rifles with Lyman or Unertl scopes and multiple sets of open sights for $1600-ish OTD. and why an old 40X converted repeater came my way in an old McMillan stock for what i deemed a screamin' deal.

900-1k budget for 22lr.

Thanks
Check RimfireCentral classifieds. For a little more, you get a great CZ 457 MTR, with multiple barrels, mags, etc. A friend is selling his gear and it's priced to move. Check it out. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=272555

CZ 457 AT-ONE is what I went with - got one on sale during a pre Black Friday sale, topped it of with an Arken SH4 6-24x50 - Replaced the mouse testicle size bolt knob on it with a larger tear drop style and have a Timney Flat Trigger on the way for it.. Looking to get an ARCA rail for it when the weather warms up in the spring.