• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st .223 few questions?

gman82001

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2012
Do you have a go to powder for .223 I've got varget and h-322 on hand so ill try those but if there is a " common great" powder out there ill try it too. I just gota remington sps tactical 1-9 twist and ordered some hornady 55gr vmax and hornady 68grbthp to try out any any pros or cons with these 2 bullets. Any other good or bad I should know for the gun or my reloading for it Thanks Guys

Re: 1st .223 few questions?

I use AA2460 and H335.
I use the AA for my Hornady 52 gr BTHP loads and the H335 for my Sierra 77gr BTHP and my 60 gr Vmax loads.

Vmax are great rounds. I love em, absolutely varmint destroyers.

I tend to talk to more guys that use H335.

I suggest searching, you'll find lots of info. That said both those powder are good. I like Benchmark for 55gr and down, Varget 60+. My 1:9 shoots amazing with the 60gr V-max but the flat base design means they're a fairly close range proposition, I suspect the 55 would do similar. I never got the 68BTHP to perform to my expectations, but others have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gman82001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a go to powder for .223 I've got varget and h-322 on hand so ill try those but if there is a " common great" powder out there ill try it too. I just gota remington sps tactical 1-9 twist and ordered some hornady 55gr vmax and hornady 68grbthp to try out any any pros or cons with these 2 bullets. Any other good or bad I should know for the gun or my reloading for it Thanks Guys </div></div>
First tip, use the H322 for the 55 VMAX and varget for the 68grainer.

Thanks guys once everything gets here I'm gonna try what I've got but there is so many different options just seems logical to try a little of everything lol

It's pretty overwhelming when first attempting to find a accuracy load for a certain caliber. I searched on line and pulled info from everywhere - created a list of bullets/powders on a spreadsheet and started going down the line. It's a pain in the ass.

I use TAC for lighter 55gr loads - meters well and can be found everywhere around my area. Varget is pretty much the go-to powder for heavier grains (which I'm sure you know)and is also easy to get a hold of.
I haven't used H332 - but have and do use H335 - for lighter grain bullets as well (just like TAC).

yep for sure Ive got a few powders I dont use much of because i finally dialed in my big 45-70 and 300wm but it would be cool if the 322 worked becaus ethe 45-70 loves it and it would be nice to consildate the 2 calibers.

I converted from Varget to AR-Comp and I havent looked back. Varget is great but AR-Comp throws a little better for me and I get good accuracy with the 75gr BTHP. I also could not get the 68gr BTHP to group out of 3 different guns. Its crazy but the OAL of the 68gr is longer than the 75gr. Good luck and have fun.

Bolt action remington 700 sps tactical 20" 1in 9 twist

The 332 will do great on those lighter bullets. I would use Varget if using heavier bullets but they will work with the light 1's too.

A lot of Pull-down WCC844 & WCC846 out there at the moment. Both of these work well for lighter bullets if you are looking for something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gman82001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bolt action remington 700 sps tactical 20" 1in 9 twist </div></div>

Definitely ......H322 for lighter & Varget for heavier. However, due to the 20 inch pipe, you may try H4895. My 700 with 26in pipe with 1 in 12 loves 53gr SMK & 55-63gr flat base only bullets. Flat base vs boattail is a whole other topic.....anyway.... on occasion I had a slightly sticky bolt with Varget. I know there are some that won't believe me, but yes its true, even thought thats been the magic powder thus far. I am now playing with H4895 and I'm getting there, real close and never any stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run 26.6gns of varget with the 69 SMK through my SPS tactical. 2950 fps. </div></div>
My recipe is similar: Lapua brass, 26.4gr Varget, 69 SMK, Rem 7-1/2 primer, just off the lands. That's my max load when jammed; I'd probably need a drop tube to get 26.6gr to fit comfortably.

Thanks guys its always nice to get some first hand info from guys I appreciate the help the rifle got here today so gonna get a scope on and roll up a few rounds of each and if its decent tomorrow try to shoot her a little

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groovinpickle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run 26.6gns of varget with the 69 SMK through my SPS tactical. 2950 fps. </div></div>
My recipe is similar: Lapua brass, 26.4gr Varget, 69 SMK, Rem 7-1/2 primer, just off the lands. That's my max load when jammed; I'd probably need a drop tube to get 26.6gr to fit comfortably. </div></div>

I have run that load in both federal and S&B brass with little to no variation in performance. No drop tube needed, just tapped the case in the bench before seating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have run that load in both federal and S&B brass with little to no variation in performance. No drop tube needed, just tapped the case in the bench before seating. </div></div>
Do you happen to know your COL? I want to say that I'm right around 2.270". This is with a custom rig; not a Remington.

24.0gr Varget, Hornady 75gr HPBT, CCI-400, and any brass (Lapua, RP, LC, etc.) @ 2.34" OAL (0.020" jump)...2875fps from my 26" 9 twist barrel and 5 shots in 0.4" @ 100yd accuracy.

24.5gr Varget with the 68gr HPBT is just over 3000fps.

Slight crunch when you seat either bullet, but no drop tube required. You can push harder, but the above loads are accurate and very easy on brass.

I like 23.5 grains of Ramshot TAC with Nosler Custom Comp 69 grain HPBT at 2.250 in my Savage 12 and they shoot great in my Rock River guns also.