• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

1st big bore gun

DC52

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2018
just purchased a reming. 700 5R in 300 win mag, stainless, 26" barrel with a vortex 6x24-50 scope. can anyone tell what to actually expect yardage wise out of the gun after its broken in some and have found sweet spot for ammo. have put a brake on it and a jewel trigger.

While underclassed when compared to the bigger ELR cartridges like the 338's & 375 variations, the 300WM has turned in some very respectable past performances at long range events like the KO2M. Kinda depends on the load/bullet you choose, with some of the solids currently available you certainly can extend its performance. It's certainly a capable cartridge out to a mile. Now all you gotta do is find somewhere you can shoot it that far!

thanks. gonna run about 60-80 rounds thru it first, then start exper. with some hand loads. looks like I'm starting a new hobby at 65. have couple of friends who have ranges out to 1000 and a power line that someone could shoot 1500 yds and beyond if you have enough glass to see that far. does anyone know any specifics about the 5R barrel besides what is on web sites and heard say. my smith really tricked it out for a benchrest gun, all that has to be done more is to redo the bolt after about 1000 rounds for a tighter tolerance

Reactions: CRT2
People say the 5r causes less bullet deformation than other types of rifling however there are plenty of alternative rifling types that provide fantastic accuracy results so IMO the jury is still out on whether or nor the 5r is superior. Sounds like your scope is a PST. It'll take you out to 1500 ok.

thanks. since I only paid about 1400 for the gun and scope not including brake and trigger all brand new, I will check it out shortly. thanks for the input. need all the advice I can get getting started in this new hobby.

Like you, I bought my first 300 WinMag at 70. Mine is a 24" Remington Tactical with chassis. I'm using 200 grain Hornady ELD-X and from my 24" the rounds chronograph at an average 2850 fps. Expect velocity would be higher with yours. At 100 yards the accuracy is sub-MOA. In the Spring will take it to Rainers Range to determine accuracy to a 1000 yards and also establish come-ups.

I would say the only thing holding that caliber back is the person behind it. One of the guys I shoot with takes his out to 2000 yards all the time with consistent hits. he also takes his 6.5 CM out to that range with hits as well. he uses prime ammo so you may look into that if you don't reload.

shot it this past Friday, with hard wind. walked it out to 900 yds 1st time out, got dark on me plus wind blowing hard. shot some 170 and 180 grain.
going to fiqure out some hand loads to see what works the best.