• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st Mauser Model 98

Gunnut92

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2014
Hey everybody, image.jpgimage (6).jpgI just purchased my first mauser model 98 at a gun show last weekend and I don't know that much about them. it has been sporterized and I am not sure if it has the original barrel or not because there are markings anywhere and it has deer sights on it. the receiver says byf 42 and has the german eagle on the side holding a swastika. Here are some photos sorry about the quality. Can anyone with mauser 98 knowledge please help me out? Thank you!

Your rifle started as an Oberndorf 98 Mauser, made about midway through the war. Over 380k made that year. Many made their way back to the US after the war and were sporterized for hunting. You always here the stories of hardware store with a barrel of them for super cheap. The pics you posted are a little small, is yours 8x57, or has it been changed to 30-06, 8mm-06 maybe?

Some would use a 30-06 reamer to allow a 30-06 case and neck it up to use an 8mm bullet.

It looks nice, the Original 98 Mauser was a great piece of German history, a good sporter reflects some post war Americana.

The sights have been added. Not sure if that's the original barrel, or not, from the tiny pics. Bolt looks to have been worked, too, judging by the angle of the handle and the fact that it's in the white.

Your rifle started as an Oberndorf 98 Mauser, made about midway through the war. Over 380k made that year. Many made their way back to the US after the war and were sporterized for hunting. You always here the stories of hardware store with a barrel of them for super cheap. The pics you posted are a little small, is yours 8x57, or has it been changed to 30-06, 8mm-06 maybe?

Some would use a 30-06 reamer to allow a 30-06 case and neck it up to use an 8mm bullet.

It looks nice, the Original 98 Mauser was a great piece of German history, a good sporter reflects some post war Americana.

It is chambered in 8mm and I don't believe it's the original barrel there are no markings anywhere. I would like to make a custom build out of it and convert it to 30-06 but I have no idea where to start and I'm new to a lot of this stuff I recently just started getting into guns this past year. What does in the white mean? I am not familiar with a lot of terms and would love to learn.

"In the white" means that the bolt has no finish on it (blue, etc.). A 1942 Oberndorf (or any German K98, for that matter) would have had a blued bolt (or phosphate, late in the war). This one has either been replaced or polished.

Can you post more pictures of the barrel? In particular, where the rear sight is and the muzzle, as well. It's possible that all the markings were buffed off, but it could have a new barrel, too. If someone went to the trouble to change the stock and have all this work done, I would not be surprised if they swapped barrels, too. Odd that they would keep it in 8mm, though.

Personally I would leave it as is. It has character as it sits.

But,

Looking at the receiver, is it tapped (does it have small holes on the top? I cant tell by the pics.

Mauser projects can come out great, but they can get very expensive real quick.

Here is a link to all the chamberings Mauser Central your Restoring and Sporterizing Resource

A good smith can pick up a short chambered barrel from Midwayusa (green mountain or lothar walther), finish ream it and then true up the action. Prices vary though, so true up the action , check lug abutment, mount and ream can cost more than a new Remington 700.

If you have a chance post pics closer to your barrel, some guys would remove the barrel, put it in a lathe and turn down the steps, if your barrel has no markings, this may have happened.
The stock looks nice