• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st PRS style match. Need mag mod ideas

LC 6.5 Shooter

Apollo 6 Creed
Supporter
Minuteman
May 29, 2018
League City, TX
Few mag questions in regards to running 6 creed in an impact action.

I ran my first prs style match. And my mags didnt seem to run as slick as other peoples. And when I stuffed 10 in my aics it was very hard to chamber the first round.
Are there certain adjustments to make to the lips that hold the bullet. One guy suggested opening up a little as you make your way to the front a couple thousandths (slight flare) to help bullet start going up easier and get in the feed ramp better.

Another suggestion was taking the mag apart and using sandpaper to smooth those lips and take any burrs out to help it run smooth.

it was my first match and that got in my head early when it was a 10 round stage and I was worried about stuffing the mag and it not running. Trying to do a mag change etc.

My metal mags do the same. My 6GT doesn’t feed as smooth on my impact. My defiance 6.5 creed fed so Smith I had to check and see if a round was chambered.

my metal mags need work from someone who knows what they are doing. I see people that impacts feed smooth and quick but mine is a little tougher.

I run MDT mags with my Impact action in an MPA chassis. Highly recommend the MPA feed lip adjustment tool for $20, lets you really fine tune the feed lip dimensions for both the front and back of the round so it's even, and at the correct seated height. I also take a micrometer gauge to ensure that everything is consistent across 3 magazines.

Reactions: generalzip
The Mdt 12 rd mags are the same external size as a regular 10 rd AICS magazine, so they have less tension with 10 rounds than an AI or Accurare mag.

Feed lips on AICS pattern mags are parallel, and with the Creedmoor or other straight bodied cases it is beneficial to open the fronts 20 thou or so wider than the rear.

Few mag questions in regards to running 6 creed in an impact action.

I ran my first prs style match. And my mags didnt seem to run as slick as other peoples. And when I stuffed 10 in my aics it was very hard to chamber the first round.
Are there certain adjustments to make to the lips that hold the bullet. One guy suggested opening up a little as you make your way to the front a couple thousandths (slight flare) to help bullet start going up easier and get in the feed ramp better.

Another suggestion was taking the mag apart and using sandpaper to smooth those lips and take any burrs out to help it run smooth.

it was my first match and that got in my head early when it was a 10 round stage and I was worried about stuffing the mag and it not running. Trying to do a mag change etc.

Get yourself some AICS PMAGs. Smooth as silk. I've owned Magpul, Alpha, and MDT (metal) AICS pattern magazines. I rank them in that same order in terms of feed smoothness. The MDT I bought was so bad I actually tossed it after trying to adjust the lips.

Reactions: shoobe01
I usually take a small fine tooth file, and file the inside edges of the feed lips. Don’t go crazy on them, just make sure that they are smooth and burr free. Then follow it up with a small diamond file to polish it up. I also open mine up at the front a few thousands like others above have posted. This just helps smooth the edges, so there are no sharp corners of metal, or finish on the mags which could cause it to be a little grabby on the case.

90% of my mags needed some kind of tune. One of my mags sat so low in the bottom metal I can almost push the round backwards out the mag when it was running good. That mag in my mpa is a no go. A pair of pliers will do the trick if you have a set of duck bill those work well to. No need to get dance with tools.

Reactions: LC 6.5 Shooter
Thx for all the info. I did as a guy recommended and sand them both down. I have I mdt and one aics. Here is a pic with a round in each. The left is mdt right aics. Is this the correct height for the bullet to sit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 156
Never had any issue with any metal mag feeding. Must be lucky but been running the same mags since 2004 with .308, .243, 6.5 and 6 Creed. In Rem 700, Surgeon, GAP Templar and Lawton actions.

What stock and was it pillar bedded? Or a chassis?

I practice with a guy that uses impact/foudation/stutville for his rifle components. he said he called up wade asking about what mags and feeding issues. he said get a seekins precision 2+ bottom plate for his AI mags. he said it fixed all his issues.

Damn no wonder mine has been acting funny. I have ever checked them before. What are you using to adjust the feed lips? mine are also spread way farther apart In the rear then in the front
02474F95-9665-46AB-8106-59688ADFF8F7.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: MCHOG
I’ve used the mpa tool for a few years.Works good.Once you get them where you want mic front and rear and write it down.

So in the video Phil has his sitting a little higher or so it seems. He didnt really say where the right height was. He just said to get it to sit higher do this. @Rob01 shows his sitting down with some of the primer below the back of the mag. Is that that the correct position or is different for each gun/action/chassis/stock. Phil also talks about them being the same front to back and not flaring the front out a few thousandths.

Another reason I recommend AI’s as the perfect “starter” rifle.

Zero mag issues you have to teach yourself to deal with while also getting a feel for comp shooting.

Reactions: Stoweit and 96C
On my Impact 6.5cm I just about line up the bottom edge of the primer to the top edge on the back of the magazine, with properly spaced and even feed lips. I've had zero issues feeding, and runs really slick. For reference, I put this rifle together myself with a barreled action from Altus into an MPA chassis.

It depends on the particular stock thats holding the particular bottom metal thats holding the particular mag thats holding the particular ammo.
I wonder if we were to remove the bolt and look through the receiver to visualize a loaded mag to judge how high a cartridge is supposed to be? My Rem 700 I see the top edge of the (LR) primer pocket. It runs fine, but is that the optimum height?

Last edited:
There is zero mag issues with a properly built rifle too.

Agreed. Many are buying parts and assembling at home. Not sure why people are getting away from having rifles built. It’s worth the money and hassle free running.

I wonder if we were to remove the bolt and look through the receiver to visualize a loaded mag to judge how high a cartridge is supposed to be? My Rem 700 I see the top edge of the (LR) primer pocket. It runs fine, but is that the optimum height?
LRI likes to have the primer and the chamber look like a figure 8 with the bottom half being the primer circle and the top half being the chamber circle when viewed through the action from the rear.

It runs fine. There is your answer. There is no "optimal". It runs or it doesn't.

For you guys that have set up internal mag boxes are you generally looking for the same setup. I went with a wyatt extended mag box on my hunting rifle and I'm going to need to adjust the feed lips. It seems they would need a similar dimensions.

Last edited:

Aaaaannnndddd this is how we descend into a vortex of constant second guessing and never ending fiddling.........

Like @Rob01 said, either works reliably or it doesn't.

Anyone have a tool they don’t need? I am looking for one to get and pass around my shooting group. My crescent wrench is too big lol

Another thing to consider bottom or front pressure on your mag can potentially cause feed issues. Meaning burry the mag into a barricade or rest rifle on mag, and preto ftf. As others pointed out, get a tool, MPA or HS Precision or build one. My gun prefers primer bottom even with mag as seen in one of the pics above. Using a micrometer and tweak a little at a time til it works. Once you get final sizing measure record and make them all the same as close as possible.

Sanding with 600-1000 grit on underside and inside of feed lips helps. Goal is to smooth out not hog out material. As for the Magpul mags, well those had to be sanded as well for optimal function, just be cautious not to take too much off.

My guns are built correct, and mags aren't impervious to the UPS guy dicking them up and I can do an even better job of accidnetally dropping and tweaking the crap out of the feed lips. Murphy is an ass, so keep the tool with you.

Another thing to consider bottom or front pressure on your mag can potentially cause feed issues. Meaning burry the mag into a barricade or rest rifle on mag, and preto ftf. As others pointed out, get a tool, MPA or HS Precision or build one. My gun prefers primer bottom even with mag as seen in one of the pics above. Using a micrometer and tweak a little at a time til it works. Once you get final sizing measure record and make them all the same as close as possible.

Sanding with 600-1000 grit on underside and inside of feed lips helps. Goal is to smooth out not hog out material. As for the Magpul mags, well those had to be sanded as well for optimal function, just be cautious not to take too much off.

My guns are built correct, and mags aren't impervious to the UPS guy dicking them up and I can do an even better job of accidnetally dropping and tweaking the crap out of the feed lips. Murphy is an ass, so keep the tool with you.

Man great info. Appreciate it.

I forgot to mention the two benefits of the Magpuls are they are lighter and cheaper. On the other hand, you said you have AICS mags are they actual or knockoff meaning Accurate or other?

I initially had several Accurate, but my gunsmith recommended MDT which is shorter than the AIC double/single and works better in my chassis than what I call the double double on an AIC AW mag. You can google the AIC varieties if you want to see the difference and of course you stock and action setup need to match the mag type.

I think someone else above mentioned the mag extensions. I have a few of my Accurate mags that need a crowbar to get the 10th round in. If you live in a state where you can have extensions, that might help too. If you just want a capacity increase you can get extenders for most all models

a properly designed bottom metal or chassis should not allow a AICS magazine to interfere with the bolt when pushed on, at least for a two lug 700 clone.

They are designed to stop on the receiver at the front corners, and the mag well should support the spine of the magazine enough to not allow it to rock forward or back and let the feed lips get in front of the bolt.

A three lug fat bolt action is a little different because the magazine drops downand doesn't trap the same way.

• Haha
Reactions: 99106 and Rob01
Yup a properly set up rifle will not have issues with mag pressure. Have pushed and set the mag up on stuff for years with no issues.

Update. I got my MPA mag tool in. Made a few tweaks on it to get the round a little further down. Did some sanding on the lips (smooth as a babies butt now) and made 10 dummy rounds to check the function. Much much better. Feed great now and much easier/more slick even with the mag stuffed with 10 rounds.

Anyone have a tool they don’t need? I am looking for one to get and pass around my shooting group. My crescent wrench is too big lol

Just pick up some 1/2”x3/4” bar stock and make a slit with a hacksaw about .300” deep, about .300” from the end of the bar stock. Boom. You’ve got a feed lip tool for a couple bucks.
image.jpg

That being said, you shouldn’t have to tweak the magazine if the chassis is inlet correctly, or the stock is bedded correctly (bottom metal as well as action). Only time you should have to tweak mags is if the case dimensions are different (smaller/bigger), like a Valkyrie or SPC.