• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1st try handloads for my 5R .308, suggestions?

Win308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Morris County, New Jersistan
I am about to make up some handloads for my new 5R MilSpec .308 which I haven't fired yet, and I'd like to get some load suggestions to get started. I have new Remington brass and Sierra 175gr Match Kings, but I still have to buy powder and primers.

Re: 1st try handloads for my 5R .308, suggestions?

Well I also started with Remington brass and it didnt take long to get rid of it. Do yourself a favor and buy a box of Lapua brass to start with. I have a 5R also and my best load with 175gr Match Kings is 45.1 gr of Varget. I seated at 2.810 COAL and used CCI BR2 primers. With this load if the groups are larger than a dime @ 100 yards its my fault. If you need more info about the load shoot a PM.

I've used Lapua and Winchester brass in .308. The Lapua is about as good as it gets, but the Winchester (purchased this spring) is pretty good too.

In comparison, the Winchester had about .001"-.0015" less neck thickness, and neck thickness variation was almost as good. Need to do a clean neck chamfer to get accurate measurements there. And the primer flash holes can stand a very light deburr (I don't like the amount of "cone" the typical deburring tool leaves).

Now the new Lapua with the small primer pocket has been producing some interesting results, it is much easier to achieve very low velocity variations, and it takes a little bit more powder to achieve the same velocity as large primer brass due to the little bit "softer" ignition.

Very consistent results with Winchester brass here, though as Rust mentioned it needs more prep. Hard to go wrong with CCI BR-2 primers, though I've used Winchester until recently, and Varget is a great starting point.

I just settled on 45.5 Varget with Win case and primers. Average velocity was 2648.

LC M118LR Brass
178 A-Max/175gr SBTHP
44.5 gr RL15
Fed 210M
2.83 OAL

LC M118LR Brass
168gr SBTHP
45gr RL15
Fed 210M
2.83 OAL

Would the 155 AMAX be a worthy bullet for reloads or stick with say 175 SMK for 308. Also is hornady brass good or shouyld that be thrown out also. Sorry didn't mean to highjack or anything,

M25, What velocity are you getting out of those loads and what kind of firearm??

Rem 5R .308
Federal brass
41.6gr RL-15
CCI LR primer
168gr Speer Target Match
5/8" 5 shot groups average

fed gmm brass
fed gmm large rifle primer
168 smk
42 grains reloader 15

ive got 5 shots .303 center to center at 100. loaded to magazine length for a badger 5r that i had put on. great groups at 41 grains also. just used 42 for a little more speed.

fed gmm brass
fed gmm large rifle primer
168 smk
42 grains reloader 15

ive got 5 shots .303 center to center at 100. loaded to magazine length for a badger 5r that i had put on. great groups at 41 grains also. just used 42 for a little more speed.