• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $2,000 scope. WHY?!

blasteraddict

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2014
Hey Y'all. Ive been shootin for many years and have owned many rifle, scope combinations. Ive always paid anywere from 50-180 for my scopes. Havent had the best experience with scopes but ive had some nice ones. My question is when you pay over 1,000 dollars for a scope what are you really getting? Why pay more then my gun for a scope to go ontop of it? Im just a gun nut....not much of a optics expert

Last edited:
Search function is your friend. Resolution, contrast, light gathering, reliable tracking, being able to adjust out parallax, reliably returning to zero, having a zero-stop, illumination and last but not least, a good warranty. Features and performance cost money, quality and reliability bring those costs up.

I would repost this in "stupid marksmanship questions" then do some research. People may wonder what they get from 1k to 2k and 2k to 3k but $50 to a $2000 scope is a very stupid question and asked with little to no effort. There are hundreds of threads on optics and the collective benefits vs price tag.

Reactions: Snowcapped
Most of us are not shooting "minute of deer" at 100yds and less. The old trusty Burris 2-7 with heavy duplex isn't made for the games we play.

Why? some people see the scope as an investment. Specially those who like quality and reliability.
Barrels, bullets they are consumables. A good scope with good glass stays for life.

A Datsun and a Ferrari will both get you where you need to go as well but that's about where the comparison ends. Sure you can look through both scopes and see something but there is no comparison. As its obvious that you have never used high end glass, do yourself a favor and don't look through any of them. After seeing things you never thought were possible with high end optics, it's tuff to go back to looking through a mason jar trying to figure out what you're looking at.

Well, duh, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, high end scopes, ya optic stays zeroed with em, ya see more shit with em, ya get a lot more trim with em.

You ever seen a dude get laid with a Simmons 3-9x32? Hell no you haven't, because bitches don't dig that shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowcapped
I seriously can't tell after reading all of your posts if you are serious or just pulling everyone's strings. If its the latter you're doing one hell of a job. If not, then I would highly suggest doing a lot of reading then post your questions. Best of luck around here.

Mostly because they are darn good.

18485898.JPG

$2000 scopes are like $2000 binoculars or $2000 cameras or $50,000 cars or $500,000 homes.

it comes down to the features you need for precision shooting with any consistent repeatability are only found in high dollar scopes... i cant say whether its a monopoly sort of thing or just what it takes to make a profit. more than likely it is a great business model and they have you by the balls. you have to pay to play. very similar to the eyeglasses companies, or should I say "company".

Last edited:
Hey Y'all. Ive been shootin for many years and have owned many rifle, scope combinations. Ive always paid anywere from 50-120 for my scopes. Havent had the best experience with scopes but ive had some nice ones. My question is when you pay over 1,000 dollars for a scope what are you really getting? Why pay more then my gun for a scope to go ontop of it? Im just a gun nut....not much of a optics expert
I understand your question as in one time in my Firearms life I didn't know either. What does a $2000 dollar scope give you - one, and the largest, is great great glass (that implies a lot) which brings clarity. When you look through the $100 scope it is dark and lacks clarity. Try shooting a $100 scope for little holes or at low light on an animal. In the hunting world an upscale optic gives you 15 more minutes of hunting time when it counts in the morning and 15 minutes before it gets too dark to shoot. In the tactical world the same can be applied. Features such as First Focal Plane (FFP) also makes a huge difference when using reticles for ranging and holdovers on targets at any magnification. I just gave you a little information to start looking for the answers in which you seek.

When I came to Sniper's Hide years ago I would have asked the same question; but, after reading and going to classes and tactical matches it became apparent why the high dollar scopes matter. Take some time and read and absorb as much as you can from this site and its members. Some times they can come off as harsh but there is tons of information on this site. When I first became a member I didn't post much because I didn't know much so I tended to read and absorb.

Have fun in your new quest but be leery of the price you will pay once you learn the truth of why it matters.

And the answer FOR YOU might be that it offers nothing.

But I would say that while the better glass/optics is great, the better tracking, better reticle, zero stop, and such are some of the real benefits over the cheap scopes.

Had a guy at gunclub yesterday with 5 young men trying to sight in their deer gun. Thru my muffs all I can hear is this guy blabbin to these young boys about the barska scope glass and how clear it was. They all had these $100 barskas the local shop pushes. I offered them a look thru my SN-3 and a nxs 8x32 at 300yards with same targets they were using at 100. We all know the results, I just love the look on people face the first time they pick the details apart.

Sort of like saying why does a race car not go faster than a street car on the quarter, the devil is in the details.

Top notch glass is worth every cent once you come to appreciate why, and do enough lr shooting in all conditions to meet a large array of requirements.

I do believe there is a "value proposition" for each shooter, in which a cost & feature set of a given optic is perfectly suitable for THEIR needs/desire/budget, while another shooter may be above or below that.

For ME, I do not have a need for FFP, illumination, or combat-level robustness though like most I want something that is reliable. For my budget, the Vortex HS-T line provides high value...and having shot side-by-side with a Bushnell HDMR at 1100yd there is zero doubt the Bushnell is clearer, more robust and "better"- but I did not feel handicapped by the 40%+ less expensive Vortex.

Never used a Schmidt, Steiner, Razor, XRS, or ATACR/Beast so I cannot comment on those...though such ignorance is probably good for my checkbook and marriage harmony:D

I do believe there is a "value proposition" for each shooter, in which a cost & feature set of a given optic is perfectly suitable for THEIR needs/desire/budget, while another shooter may be above or below that.

For ME, I do not have a need for FFP, illumination, or combat-level robustness though like most I want something that is reliable. For my budget, the Vortex HS-T line provides high value...and having shot side-by-side with a Bushnell HDMR at 1100yd there is zero doubt the Bushnell is clearer, more robust and "better"- but I did not feel handicapped by the 40%+ less expensive Vortex.

Never used a Schmidt, Steiner, Razor, XRS, or ATACR/Beast so I cannot comment on those...though such ignorance is probably good for my checkbook and marriage harmony:D

I agree 100% an the hst is great value

OP, listen to the serious answers. Put simply $2,000.00 scopes are better in every possible way, except budget, but if you don't need that level of performance, you don't need one.

The other reason is that $2K scopes are operator as fuck.

Let's just say that I can see more detail from my Steiner at 4x magnification than the $200 scope my uncle left me at 12x magnification

Before I got into long range shooting and F-Class, I thought me dropping $200 on a nikon 3-9 was alot. While it was nice and I thought it was "good enough", it wasnt till I looked throught higher end scopes (prob more like middle/high end on here) I saw the difference.

I love the guy that spends $120 on a scope and burns $150 on ammo chasing a zero only to tell you you're an idiot for buying a $400 Vortex. Real life Ri-Tards.

Some responses are rude. If you bought a high performace race car would you put wagon wheels on it ?

Ive always paid anywere from 50-120 for my scopes. Havent had the best experience with scopes but ive had some nice ones.

Can you name the nice ones that you've had and maybe a better comparison can be made in terms of what more you're getting from a scope that costs over $1000.

The best scope I've ever had to date has been my Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20mm shotgun scope that I use on my Benellit SBE upper for deer hunting. Decent glass, but the damn thing is dented to hell and insanely reliable. I almost sold it on here a couple years ago, and got a ton of offers for it. I'm glad I didn't sell it. Brand new it was like $200 or $250. It's the best scope I've owned because of what I've asked it to do, and what I know it will still be able to do. However, there is sentimental value to it. I'm under no delusion that performance-wise it's the best, because it's not.

I love that little scope and it has a lot more sentimental value than my $3400 Hensoldt, but put the to side-by-side at 4x and there's no comparison. All of a sudden, my awesome shotgun scope looks like a cardboard tube with wax paper over the front of it. Apples to Bananas comparison, but as stated, the money goes into quality. If I were to all of a sudden get a spare Vortex Razor GenII 1-6x or Leupold VX-6 1-6x, I'm sure the Vari-X would wind up going back into the top shelf of my safe, never to be seen or heard from again.

If someone has to explain it....you probably will never understand it.

What if this is not a troll and someone who really doesn't understand and wants to learn? We are being brutal.

I think it can be explained unless the only purpose is trolling on a long range enthusiasts forum.

Blasteraddict.
you can start with a good ol' super sniper or a weaver tactical that will do a lot of things on a tight budget.
But once you get to shoot a lot and understanding what a better scope (also more features) can do for you then after you experience some of those
you will see why more investment has a return just based on glass and a few nice added features.
As I said, ammo is spent, barrels are spent but a good scope stays with you.

What if this is not a troll and someone who really doesn't understand and wants to learn? We are being brutal.

I think it can be explained unless the only purpose is trolling on a long range enthusiasts forum.
Read his other threads. He's either a troll or he needs to stop posting questions without doing any research whatsoever and there is a section for stupid marksmanship questions which is definitely where he should be starting.

well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, high end scopes, ya optic stays zeroed with em, ya see more shit with em, ya get a lot more trim with em.

You ever seen a dude get laid with a simmons 3-9x32? Hell no you haven't, because bitches don't dig that shit.
epic!

Because all the cool kids on barf.Com put them on top of their Pakistani aks so they can post pics on line for Internet street cred. And there the only scopes that work during a shtf situation, if you know what I mean or what I'm sayn ;)

Read his other threads. He's either a troll or he needs to stop posting questions without doing any research whatsoever and there is a section for stupid marksmanship questions which is definitely where he should be starting.

Ohh!! in that case I suggest he starts with this wonderful model...

Stuff+032.JPG

I understand your question as in one time in my Firearms life I didn't know either. What does a $2000 dollar scope give you - one, and the largest, is great great glass (that implies a lot) which brings clarity. When you look through the $100 scope it is dark and lacks clarity. Try shooting a $100 scope for little holes or at low light on an animal. In the hunting world an upscale optic gives you 15 more minutes of hunting time when it counts in the morning and 15 minutes before it gets too dark to shoot. In the tactical world the same can be applied. Features such as First Focal Plane (FFP) also makes a huge difference when using reticles for ranging and holdovers on targets at any magnification. I just gave you a little information to start looking for the answers in which you seek.

When I came to Sniper's Hide years ago I would have asked the same question; but, after reading and going to classes and tactical matches it became apparent why the high dollar scopes matter. Take some time and read and absorb as much as you can from this site and its members. Some times they can come off as harsh but there is tons of information on this site. When I first became a member I didn't post much because I didn't know much so I tended to read and absorb.

Have fun in your new quest but be leery of the price you will pay once you learn the truth of why it matters.
Thank you for your response and not being a complete ass wipe like the rest. Ive never bought high end scopes cuz all i really do is hunt and a 200 dollar scope accomplishes everything i need but soon i plan on getting a bolt gun dedicated for precision shooting at range and plan on paying however much necessary for a great optic. My question wasnt why its good it was what i get with the extra money. Thanks again

I appreciate the few of you that dont think your the shits and act like little kids making all sort of ass hole comments and try to answer my question. God bless you

In my opinion, the biggest thing that you get for the extra money (besides the previously stated high quality glass, a decent reticle and coatings) is a solid adjustable turret system that is repeatable and accurate, even after many hundreds of uses. Your average hunter, especially in the past, rarely, if ever changed settings on the turrets. Even I used to be of the "set it and forget it" mind set when hunting, as my usual shot in wooded areas was rarely even to 150 yds.

And yes, you should get out somewhere where you will be exposed to people shooting precision rifle and see if some will let you get behind their glass. It will make you a believer.

When I got started down this cherry path to hell, about two years ago, I about choked on the $600 I paid for a decent Bushnell and laughed to myself at the suckers who spent $1000, $2000, and much more for scopes. Now, after shooting thousands of rounds and competing in a few precision rifle matches with a $1000 scope, I'm getting ready to buy my first $2000 glass and actually looking forward to it. It's a sickness really. You should run now while you have the chance. And run fast! :)

I'm a person of modest means(fucking broke). I don't see myself buying anything less than Nightforce or a reasonable equivalent from here on out. I just can't afford to spend my time and hard to come by components chasing down scope issues. My eyes aren't what they used to be, either. Decent glass helps improve my shooting.

Spending 2 grand doesn't guarantee a flawless optic, but it sure helps.

Hey Y'all. Ive been shootin for many years and have owned many rifle, scope combinations. Ive always paid anywere from 50-120 for my scopes. Havent had the best experience with scopes but ive had some nice ones. My question is when you pay over 1,000 dollars for a scope what are you really getting? Why pay more then my gun for a scope to go ontop of it? Im just a gun nut....not much of a optics expert

You can't hit what you can't see. Good optics allow you to get a lot more out of your rifle. I would rather have a 500 rifle with a 2K scope than a 500 scope with a 2K rifle

It was a 3-9x50 Nikon

I have that scope. It came with my Savage as a set. It's not a bad scope for it's intended purpose. When you go into the $2K range compared to the Nikon you're using, all you'll need to do is look through one to tell the difference, it won't take an experienced shooter to see it, especially during sunset when light becomes dim which is due to the attention to detail on the lenses, lens coatings and manufacturing(Glass manufactured in Germany tends to be more expensive). Price increase is also apparent when getting into First Focal Plane scopes compared to Second Focal Plane. The mechanics plays another big role in the increase in price again because of the attention to detail, you'll notice the expensive scopes will hold their zero more often than the less expensive, never or almost never losing their point of impact. I or others with more experience can go on and on. Schmidt and Bender is considered the "Gold" standard when it comes to high end scopes so if you ever get a chance and find someone using one at the range ask to sit behind it for a few minutes and really look through it, I mean look at the colors, contrast and depth of the overall image then believe that whatever that scopes features are, it can do it as good as that image looks. But again, if all you want to do is go to the range once a month and have fun, go hunting for deer or coyote then you don't need these scopes. If you are in tactical competition where a fraction will determine the winner, or a Navy Seal Sniper or Army Scout or Marine sniper where the equipment your using is a matter of life or death, than yes you need the right equipment for the job. The reason why others went off on you is because 1. there is so much info about high end scopes and why they cost so much that they figured you just wanted attention. And 2. You can ask the same about about every product in every industry where the answer will probably be the same for every industry, in their own terms of course.

Here is a link of Ilya Koshkin's Optical Thoughts a well respected reviewer that has reviewed scopes ranging from $200 to $3000. It will help you understand much more than whatever my feeble attempt was.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=129

Last edited:
Thank you. Now i feel better about spending The money. I did get a chance to look through a 2000 dollar scope on a ar10 and it certainly wasn't short of absolutely spectacular and so i decided i would definitely consider putting one on one of my guns. What really attracts me though is being able to hold a zero. I did a couple Google searches and didnt really get very good results so i thought i would ask people who had experience. I guess that was a mistake.

Don't take the flaming personally. There's a number a reasons why this happens, not the least of is the fact that we often see new users just trolling for attention that post questions very like yours in order to see how much response they can get. It does sometimes get a bit rough here, but you just have to let that stuff slide off your back and get on with gathering the information you need.

And yes, if there is one subject that gets absolutely beaten to death here, it is the subject of glass cost and which one is better and why. Some take the subject very seriously. The rest of us just want to learn.

I appreciate the few of you that dont think your the shits and act like little kids making all sort of ass hole comments and try to answer my question. God bless you
It's childish to ask without a little effort on your part first. In all seriousness, before posting another thread on the zombie apocalypse and shit hitting the fan and whether you can shoot 800yds with your ak, research these topics. At the end, post the relevant questions of is it worth it for X:
FFP vs SFP
Tube diameter-1in, 30mm,34mm,35mm
Tracking
Types of turrets
Mil vs moa
Types of reticles
Matching reticle and turrets (ie mil/mil moa/moa)
Zero stop
Reticle illumination
Parallax.
Magnification ranges (3x like 3-9 vs 6x like 3-18)
Durability/toughness/milspec/waterproof depth/shock test/recoil rating.
And glass quality of course.

You can Google snipershide then anyone of these topics. Your personal needs will determine how much you spend. There are definitely some must haves to be repeatable past 300yds. But, those are some of the basics when buying a scope. There are a lot of companies that sell scopes in the $6-800 range that will let you comfortably plink and hunt to 1000yds. There is plenty of value you will see after handling a few high end scopes and shooting at a good distance and reading the threads in this section that you will understand why 2k is easily spent on glass. You may not ever need to spend that much but you will understand it. research these topics then go play with some higher end scopes at a gun shop and see the features in person.