• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$2,500 budget for semi auto

turnandshoot4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Kouts, IN
I'm looking for a semi auto that I can punch paper with from 100-700 yards. I have to lug it through the woods to get to the range and lay down with it as there is no bench. But I don't know what the heck to get! The scope will come later, for now I just don't know what rifle to get.

What I want for sure
MOA accuracy
Take the new magpul mags
Flat top

I don't want to wait 3 months while it is being built. I wouldn't mind building it myself, but it doesn't make financial sense. Unless someone has a line on some really good prices.

I found a DPMS SASS for $2,000 and I am starting to lean that way.

So, spend my money! What should I get? BTW, I tried the search and came up with nothing. Take it easy on a new guy would ya?
smile.gif

Re: $2,500 budget for semi auto

Look at a POF. I love the piston driven ARs. Stay much cleaner. A 20" SPR would work well for what you want to do. POF also offers their own 25 round mags.
http://www.pof-usa.com/p308/p308.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at a POF. I love the piston driven ARs. Stay much cleaner. A 20" SPR would work well for what you want to do. POF also offers their own 25 round mags.
http://www.pof-usa.com/p308/p308.htm </div></div>

I didn't even think of the POF! Those are nice. Do you feel the piston system is worth the extra cash?

This is an excellent option, I can save for the scope and have an ok one by summer.

The only problem with the GAP rifles is the wait time. I'd like to get one in the very near future. My wife is looking at the cash like it should be spent on something. Surely, she wouldn't spend that on a rifle.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turnandshoot4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I didn't even think of the POF! Those are nice. Do you feel the piston system is worth the extra cash?

This is an excellent option, I can save for the scope and have an ok one by summer.</div></div>

I definitely feel the piston is worth it. I got my POF 5.56 this past year and love it compared to my old gas system AR. Functions great, shoots clean and the pistol system is easy to pull out and wipe off. It's very accurate too. Shoots about .5 MOA for me with good ammo. Can't wait for my .308 to get in. Definitely give them a hard look before buying.

Another vote for the POF P-308. I have had my 20" SPR for over a year now and have had 100% reliability and excellent accuracy (easily sub-MOA).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen groups as good as 0.222 at 100 yards with my dpms.

love the gun!</div></div>
Below 1/4" with an semi-auto DPMS?
All I can say is ..You are the man!!!!
Do you have pics of target and rifle?
I'm intrigued.
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen groups as good as 0.222 at 100 yards with my dpms.

I'm intrigued.
SmokeRolls </div></div>
I will get the target on here soon, I was shooting 168 A-max with match brass BR2 primer along with H4895 powder I will find the target to know for sure if it was five or three shot group.
It is the DPMS LR-308B with the fluted, cryod 18" Barrel. I get 0.558 five shot groups with match factory ammo everytime. That is also shooting with the same setup in the photo.
161nrt3.jpg

Another vote for the POF, you are paying for the rock barrel and the piston system. Great rifles. Sub .75 moa and stays clean/reliable.

-dan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen groups as good as 0.222 at 100 yards with my dpms.

I'm intrigued.
SmokeRolls </div></div>
I will get the target on here soon, I was shooting 168 A-max with match brass BR2 primer along with H4895 powder I will find the target to know for sure if it was five or three shot group.
It is the DPMS LR-308B with the fluted, cryod 18" Barrel. I get 0.558 five shot groups with match factory ammo everytime. That is also shooting with the same setup in the photo.
161nrt3.jpg
</div></div> Looks nice........SmokeRolls

Anothe vote for the SASS (I'm biased). I've seen .5 MOA from mine and could imagine 1/4 MOA in the right hands with the right loads. Wouldn't 1/4 moa require the rounds to fall almost perfectly in the same hole?

I lucked out with my POF. It has a Geiselle trigger in it. That alone is worth it as well as the Rock barrel!!! POF and don't look back!

Get yourself a Noveske (7.62) barrel and build it yourself by working around the barrel.

Thats the way i have built all my AR platforms. Get yourself a good barrel and work around it with the parts you want.

Im sure with 2,500 you could put something really nice together but w/o an optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">strangedays, is that a tri-tech muzzle break on the dpms? if so how do you like it?
i have been looking into one of these for some time now.
does anyone have any input?
http://www.tttmissionfirst.com/rifle_muzzlebrakes.html </div></div>
I don't know for sure on the brand, the dealer who I purchased the build through had it so I went ahead and had him put it on. I think it works great. I don't lose site of the target when the bi-pod is loaded right. Recoil is light. If I find it online I will let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leppy311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alexander Arms Grendel </div></div>

Trying to get into the classifieds? Did you even read the OP? I mean, the classifieds are great here and I'd love to get into them as well, but I'm not going to spam the board to do so.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I still haven't made up my mind.

Speaking of classifieds, here is a nice GA Precision/Fulton AR308 rifle that might fit your requirements nicely. I can surely attest to it being a tack driver since its mine!
grin.gif

WTS: GA Precision/Fulton AR308 Rifle

That said, I personally wouldn't recommend a piston driven rifle for longer range type bench or prone shooting for accuracy. In my experience driving a piston system for 77gr 223, I found the accuracy to be inferior to the identical DI setup. Piston semi-auto 308's are also a bit more expensive and may be out of your budget. Seeing that I've built up and played around with a number of AR308 builds including a GA Precision AR308 build, a JP Enterprises build, a DPMS LR-308 build, and am working on a 260 Rem custom build, I have quite a bit of experience in both short and long barrel semi-auto 308 platforms. Building one with a top shelf barrel in a DI setup is the key to good accuracy in these platforms.

And I can't see any setup in an AR308 that would consistently deliver 1/4" 5 shot groups. No way, just too many moving parts. I have seen with my own eyes 1/2" 5 shots groups with 3/4" 5 shot groups consistently.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck with your decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leppy311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alexander Arms Grendel </div></div>

He wants a 308.. And If his luck is like mine he wants to punch paper before the end of time. I tried to buy a Grendel a year and a half ago. I still haven't heard back from them. I guess they didn't want to sell me one..

I own a SASS and an AP4 DPMS. Both are rock solid and you can run Magpul mags in them. The SASS I bought used from a guy who had yellow 5.56 springs in it. I fixed that and had my smith do a few tweaks. I've only brought it out once since and with cheap ammo it was was able to explode Wally World pop-cans at 100 yards with no problem.

Another option is the LMT 308. It will take the same Magpul mags as the DPMS and the KAC 308s. I'm not sure what the availability is like but the LMT monolithic rail is a cool deal (I have a 5.56 LMT piston). The MSRP is 2500. Also its the new British marksmen weapon of choice. I can tell you that one will be in my safe ASAP.

you mentioned you didn't want to wait 3 months while it's being built..I ordered a LRT-SASS from DPMS last March, and am not expecting to see it for atleast another 2 to 3 months. That's their most popular rifle, and the lead time on it is rediculous. If you can snatch one from gunbroker or off the shelf at your local shop, go for it- otherwise expect a year and a half wait.

(wow my first post, really? Coulda swore I was a tad more active than that!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good choice. Get a gently used one and spend the rest on glass/ammo. </div></div>

+1 from a fellow 308 POF owner! for the price and performance you can't really go wrong with that setup. theres a few up for grabs on GB get one take it to the range and enjoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speaking of classifieds, here is a nice GA Precision/Fulton AR308 rifle that might fit your requirements nicely. I can surely attest to it being a tack driver since its mine!
grin.gif

WTS: GA Precision/Fulton AR308 Rifle

That said, I personally wouldn't recommend a piston driven rifle for longer range type bench or prone shooting for accuracy. In my experience driving a piston system for 77gr 223, I found the accuracy to be inferior to the identical DI setup. Piston semi-auto 308's are also a bit more expensive and may be out of your budget. Seeing that I've built up and played around with a number of AR308 builds including a GA Precision AR308 build, a JP Enterprises build, a DPMS LR-308 build, and am working on a 260 Rem custom build, I have quite a bit of experience in both short and long barrel semi-auto 308 platforms. Building one with a top shelf barrel in a DI setup is the key to good accuracy in these platforms.

And I can't see any setup in an AR308 that would consistently deliver 1/4" 5 shot groups. No way, just too many moving parts. I have seen with my own eyes 1/2" 5 shots groups with 3/4" 5 shot groups consistently.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck with your decision. </div></div>

I've shot some nice DI guns, and my .223 and .308 pofs are more accurate. I shoot with a can all the time, so I may be biased towards piston. Have you ever shot a POF? Maybe the piston design doesn't hinder accuracy.

Wait for the SCAR 17....

POF. Not only is the piston a good setup, the lower receivers are well thought out and the factory stock is nice too. I love the ambi bolt release and other nice touches. Every time I look at "new" AR recievers I keep thinking to myself "why don't they ever do anything different", and POF has.

Don't own (yet) but I know these guys.......

Plus Frank seems to be a great guy.

I got my new POF 20" .308 in and love it after my first range trip. Used some 168 AMAX factory loads and got MOA or smaller, usually around 3/4 MOA, to 400 yards. Great all around package. Had one double feed with one mag but the others performed perfectly.

Here's a quick picture I took the other night. Used a Badger 22 MOA riser and worked good on the flat rail with the S&B 5-25x56.
P3290525.jpg

+1 for POF. I have one in .308 and .223, both easily better than .75 MOA out to 600 yards. I had one feed issue with my .308 and POF took care of it faster than a school boy in the back of daddy's car on prom night.

Fit and finish are top notch, you won't be disappointed.

V/R,
Matt

Thanks 700P. My feed issue was mag related as the other mags ran perfectly in the rifle. I love this thing.

It's a prototype stock that they are working on now for precision shooting. My team mate Tony and I have them and are going to be testing them out for Frank at POF. I am pretty happy with it so far.

I broke from the herd and aquired a Cobb MCR. You change calibers quickly ( no Gunsmith required ). It has an abunbant
1913 rail system, for all Your add-ons. Mine is in 30-06 caliber
but 308, 243,338, can be had. When it comes to Customer Service,
You'll not find a better Company to deal with. The President of this Company is friendly and accessable. I called Him for info on
magazines for the rifle. He was very patient and helpful. He asked the color of the bolt and said send it to Me for an upgrade
I was astonished. A brand new, beefed-up bolt and carrier, arrived 1 week later and He paid shipping. Never had that happen
before. Rifles have a beefy Lothar-Walther barrel, Vltor E-Mod
stock, Great trigger group, special flash supressor, with outer
threads for whatever. I mounted an USO scope and the results
speak for itself. In a word, " Awesome ". Better get one, before
the Snake shows up. Yeah, Bushmaster bought Him out. However They
had the good sense to Make Skip Patel, Vice President, in charge of R&D. I used RRA,KAC,Colt,Bushmaster,and others. None of them
turned Me ON like the Cobb. Great looks and performance. Ragged one hole groups at 100 yds. Not bad, for a semi-auto. It's what
a Counter-Sniper set-up should be.

Have you considered a used LWRC REPR? You could get the 20 inch barrel for distance. The 12 inch barrel for CQB. That way you could use one rife for two task. Get the advantage of a piston system. Plus the LWRC REPR looks nice.

Just another option while you consider POF and other rifles.

To answer BCP's question. I do not work for Cobb, I work for a chemical company, in Freeport, Texas. I'm not privy to the
circumstances of Your experience and can only express My own.
I am sorry, You've not had the pleasure of shooting this
weapon and repeat, It is in a class of it's own. I'd like to
also point out. Bushmaster is no fly by night operation. They
must see an advantage in a business sense, to take over the
Cobb operation and retain it's Cheif Executive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ropewalker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To answer BCP's question. I do not work for Cobb, I work for a chemical company, in Freeport, Texas. I'm not privy to the
circumstances of Your experience and can only express My own.
I am sorry, You've not had the pleasure of shooting this
weapon and repeat, It is in a class of it's own. I'd like to
also point out. Bushmaster is no fly by night operation. They
must see an advantage in a business sense, to take over the
Cobb operation and retain it's Cheif Executive. </div></div>

Well, glad to hear yours works well and you were able to get a hold of them. I couldn't do either a year and a half ago. Maybe I'll take another look at them.

POF in 308 with a 20" fluted barrel. Shooting .5 MOA, with very mild recoil.

Out to 650 yards holds sub MOA.

One amazing rifle. Expensive, but amazing.

I put a Bill Springfield 3 lbs trigger in it, and all I can say is WOW what a smooth trigger.

It cost me right around the amount you want to spend.

I bought the upper from POF and the lower from a guy on Gunbroker,then built it up.

Very accurate and sweet shooting rifle.

I still cannot believe I spent this much on a gun.

+1 for POF.Really enjoy mine. Accuracy is great, I cant hold groups like ROB01 but then again, I am no where near the driver. Ran a string of 20 at 400yds and printed under a 5.5" group, there is no doubt in my mind that this rifle in better hands could be sub moa. Would really like to see what Rob01 can do with this rifle at 800yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Noveske (7.62) barrel and build it yourself by working around the barrel.

Thats the way i have built all my AR platforms. Get yourself a good barrel and work around it with the parts you want.

Im sure with 2,500 you could put something really nice together but w/o an optic.</div></div>

I would say longrange30 is right on, you can't go wrong with Noveske although you may have to wait... by building your own you will appreciate it that much more.

For what you seem to want to do, just build a 5.56 gun. Get a Douglas or Noveske 18" barrel and a geisse trigger and call it a day. You could set up a whole gun including a MkIV scope under budget.