• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 Labradar questions

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    I’ve searched the threads on here and read through the questions but didn’t see these so I’ll go ahead and ask.

1. For those that have a Labradar, how common is it to pick up someone else’s shot when you’re shooting with others on benches close to you?

2. When shooting with a brake like a LB or 419, where are you placing the Labradar if you can’t put it in front of the muzzle like the manual suggests?

Question 2. Place the Labradar behind the muzzle about the level of your action. That way muzzle blast doesn't move or even knock over the unit.

Reactions: mercracing
    For question #1, the answer is yes. It can be frustrating. To solve that problem I got a trigger made by Greg Piet. It works as advertised and worth every penny.

https://pietrecoiltrigger.com/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7nAoC5cEfdsq1xYQGFhhKDWc5ZtAd2of

I will let someone else answer question #2 as I don't have any braked rifles.
    I just ordered one of these trigger sensors and will post a video of it showing it. my range is notorious for making the lab radar a super pain to work with bc of the OP questions...hopefully this is a fix for that issue! More to follow

Reactions: mercracing
    I just ordered one of these trigger sensors and will post a video of it showing it. my range is notorious for making the lab radar a super pain to work with bc of the OP questions...hopefully this is a fix for that issue! More to follow

Greg points out that sometimes, operating the bolt will cause an error message with the Labradar. To solve that problem, I press the disarm button after firing the shot. The arming light goes from orange to blue.

Then I operate the bolt to chamber another round. After it is chambered, I press the arming button to turn the light from blue to orange. Problem solved.

Reactions: fili.herrera
    Last post answered my first question. Second question -

what is the ideal position for the Labradar reference suppressed rimfire muzzle?

Last post answered my first question. Second question -

what is the ideal position for the Labradar reference suppressed rimfire muzzle?
    "ideal" is use a Piet recoil trigger. https://pietrecoiltrigger.com/

Failing that; barrel height even with the microphone locations on the side of the unit, 1-2" of offset (the setting will be 6"), muzzle even with center of unit or slightly behind it.

Depending on how quiet your can is or how noisy the range the latter may or may not work for you.

Regardless of method used set the Velocity range to "Handgun" for rimfire.

ETA:
    If you mean what position with a trigger, for rimfire 6-12" of offset has worked fine for me, the key for good readings as far as the unit will see the bullet is to properly aim the radar at the target. The muzzle position instructions above are to use the internal mics.

Last edited:
    I put the LabRadar even with the turrets on my scope when shooting with a brake and 2-3 inches between the rifle and LabRadar

Thanks to you both.

Have the Piet trigger. LR aiming via RDS.

First time out the gate was unable to get good readings on my .22. Center fires went fine.

I use the Piet trigger and just purchased a Labradar quad pod to raise the Labradar above the barrel for my braked rifles. I use Area 419 Hellfire brakes on several rifles and a Badger FTE on my .338 LM rifle. I am currently waiting on several suppressors to clear ATFE jail right now.

I’ve searched the threads on here and read through the questions but didn’t see these so I’ll go ahead and ask.

1. For those that have a Labradar, how common is it to pick up someone else’s shot when you’re shooting with others on benches close to you?

2. When shooting with a brake like a LB or 419, where are you placing the Labradar if you can’t put it in front of the muzzle like the manual suggests?
    #1 ... Zero chance, since I use the JKL Precision Recoil Trigger ... it's awesome.
    #2 ... You've got to put it behind the blast path. Don't worry, it'll still work just fine if it's a foot or so behind the muzzle.