• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 shots in exactly the same hole?

robdes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Houston, Texas
Ok, I was at the range today w a new rock creek 308 conversion for my DTA- work done by APA. Ammo- FGMM 168. I shot 3 groups at 200yds all at a hair over an inch (1/2+ moa). I them moved to 100 and shot a 5/8" group and then shot a second 3 shot group at the center of a target sheet. The first 2 shots were touching and I thought that the 3rd shot was also in that group. I went to retrieve the target and there were only 2 holes where I thought there should have been 3. The rest of the target was clear. I then shot a final 4 shot 7/16" group.
Could the 3rd shot have gone through the exact same hole as a previous shot? If not, it would had to have been 8" off target to not hit the paper.

Re: 2 shots in exactly the same hole?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes...it happens all the time, its called clean living.</div></div>

Problem is, I don't do any clean living!

The only indication was maybe that one of the holes had slightly darker powder residue marks- very slight. Both holes looked perfectly circular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes...it happens all the time, its called clean living.</div></div>

The only indication was maybe that one of the holes had slightly darker powder residue marks- very slight. Both holes looked perfectly circular.

</div></div>

dtac...really...you had a good day....you're a rock star.....good on you you did good....now go get a beer.

I know that I am coming off as a bragadocious(sp?) doucebag.
That wasn't the point. I was trying to either confirm or deny the possibility of a bullet leaving almost no trace of its passage through an existing hole.

Thanks for the responses.

Do three next time.
2463ul2.jpg

Hopefully you didn't do that using those rings you bought from me. Now you see why I sold them. Horribly inaccurate!.

Just messing with ya. It's fun to shoot well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes...it happens all the time, its called clean living.</div></div>

</div></div>

dtac...really...you had a good day....you're a rock star.....good on you you did good....now go get a beer. </div></div>

Gotta love boltripper's reply everytime. now where is that beer?
smile.gif

Oh! good shooting!! it happens, even an average shooter like me had that happened a few times. Good rifle is easy to keep performing constantly, the hard part is that good shooter to remain consistent.

That's sweet shooting, but you can clearly see that more than one round passed through the hole. Still that's an incredible group! Was that at 100yrds?

I generally put my targets with a cardboard backing. If you can't see the second or third shot in a group, check the back of the cardboard and you may see a difference and find your shot. BTW, good shooting.

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's sweet shooting, but you can clearly see that more than one round passed through the hole. Still that's an incredible group! Was that at 100yrds?

</div></div>
That was sighting in my new rifle. I boresighted, shot one shot, then another. WTF, did I miss? Shot a third shot and noticed tho hole was slightly bigger. I quit after 3, didn't want to foul up that group. Best I've ever done and almost dark out. 100 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's sweet shooting, but you can clearly see that more than one round passed through the hole. Still that's an incredible group! Was that at 100yrds?

</div></div>
That was sighting in my new rifle. I boresighted, shot one shot, then another. WTF, did I miss? Shot a third shot and noticed tho hole was slightly bigger. I quit after 3, didn't want to foul up that group. Best I've ever done and almost dark out. 100 yards</div></div>

I would have been buzzing for a week after that and I definitely would not have put a 4th round downrange. What rifle? I bet you haven't sold it.

You wouldn't shoot it a forth time? Why not?
Shoot that sumbitch too the barrel melts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You wouldn't shoot it a forth time? Why not?
Shoot that sumbitch too the barrel melts.

41</div></div>

I would have shot it till it melted as well, just not at that 3 shot hole. I would have pulled the sh*t out of the 4th shot and placed it 2 inches to the right.

Rifle nor shooter is capable of repeating that group with any sort of consistency -yet. Just damn good luck. Rifle review is here in the bolt action section, it is a Autauga Arms build. It averaged under 1/2" @100yds with no load development. Working on that right now. I bet Lowlight and and many others here have shot dozens of groups that tight.

Luck is for pussies.

This is 10 shots through the same hole, yet the pellet STILL won't fall all the way through.

IMG_1246.jpg

Yeah, but it's further from the x-ring than mine. 100 yards? All kidding aside, shoot enough, and you will put at least a few through the EXACT same hole eventually. Good shooting, _9H! What are the specs?

9H, what distance was that shot at, and with what. i have sever pellet rifles and pistols. pretty good for parctice...

10 meter pellet testing with the Anschutz 8002, clamped into a pillar about 600 pounds of steel and concrete with the base poured into the concrete floor.

I bought all they had of that lot
wink.gif

Just funnin' with ya on both posts OP.

IMG_1244.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, unless you jerked the shot that bad</div></div>
Trigger pull.... I hate it.

Gotta love it when you realize your guns capability if you do your part. It's the desire to do it again and again that makes this sport so addictive

sounds like a great day at the range. Now it becomes addictive trying to duplicate it LOL.

I can on demand and in front of witnesses get 5 shots in the same hole, as long as its good scotch and I don't wait too long between shots
smile.gif
.....................JJ

when its me and I have a group like that.......I missed the paper.....see sig line!

I call them "spotter scope show-offs." My buddies will gather round the spotter scope and all ooh and ahh cause through the scope it looks amazing.......then I will try and leave the range with the target still hanging---I say, "why save it, it happens all the time." Of course the reality is up close the "burn" marks will usually give it away that its 2 or 4 shots.......not 3 or 5!!!

Become interested in benchrest shooting, that's what we shoot for all the time.

Never been attacked by a "benchrest" but if shooting them makes you sleep better go ahead. Or you a meat hunter??? L.O.L

Just shoot steel the twang never lies!!!

ahhh yes the sound of metal plinking gives me goose bumps LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">steel tells you where you're at ...paper tells you where you need to be </div></div>

This phrase should be required learning!