• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2 stage ar trigger

MTyotehunter

MTyotehunter
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2012
Montana
Hey guys I shot a guy's ar that had a two stage that the first stage was only ounces and then it broke around 2- 2 1/2# . Loved it. Tell me what to buy and any adjustments to make. Like to stay under $160...
thanks

Geissele ssa-e and you will be hooked.

You are probably looking around 180-200 for this trigger if you find a sale.
It is worth saving up.

Last edited:
For your proposed budget, Geissele G2S. A very basic two-stage similar to the SSA. Both break around 4.5 lbs. The SSA-E breaks around 3.5 give or take. All three are good, I went with the SSA-E and have no complaints.

I would save a little extra and get the SSA-E. I have SSA-E and the National Match and love both of them, but i recently installed the cheaper Geissele 2 stage trigger on a rifle and didn't like it. It is a huge improvement over factory triggers but way behind the others in feel. By that I mean it didn't feel anywhere near as smooth.

Hey guys I shot a guy's ar that had a two stage that the first stage was only ounces and then it broke around 2- 2 1/2# . Loved it. Tell me what to buy and any adjustments to make. Like to stay under $160...
thanks

Not sure any of the Geisseles is going to give the pull weights you're describing. Most if not all of the Geissele two-stage triggers have a first stage that is heavier than the second. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not what you're describing.
There is the American Trigger Gold that had that kind of pull-weight profile. (The one that I received (and returned) though, had a gritty feel in the first stage from the return plunger behind the trigger bar.) But you may have to fit the trigger to your lower so there's no returning it if you don't like it.
Or, you can try your luck with a Jewell. You can get the first stage on those down to around a pound but there's a more take-up than just about anything else and they may go out of adjustment.

A few yrs ago, I got a Geissele SSA and tweeked the trigger return spring to lighten up the first stage a little. Then I replaced the disconnect spring with one out of a factory trigger. This lightened up the second stage a little also. The one thing I had to make sure of was that the trigger would return to reset with the tweeked return spring. Also, the disconnect spring from the factory trigger is slightly shorter. Passed all the safety checks and functioned better for me. Been running this set up for about 4-5 yrs with no problems so far. I'm sure to get a bunch of flak for doing this, but I'm a tinkerer and just can't leave well enough alone. As they say, "fix it till it's broke".

thanks

Why didn't you ask the guy what trigger was in the gun?? Did you put a scale on his trigger or are you just guessing?? I suspect you are guessing. The Geissele SSA-E and SD-E feel that way but are nowhere near that lite. You will never buy either new for $160! Don't fall for the RR bullshit! Anything RR is junk! Geissele is the king for a reason! GH

Yep, the only two triggers that will get you a total pull weight of 2.5 lbs would be the Geissele HS Match Rifle trigger and the AR Gold unit from ATC. The Geissele is adjustable so you can tune both stages to the specific weights you want, the AR Gold is not. Both are fantastic. G is $280, the AR Gold is 3 bills.

Thanks for the help guys I might go with a jard single stage to save $ and hassle. That Geissele sounds neat tho! I might have to try one some time. I'm new to two stage triggers(and ar's)
The trigger I tried was a factory bushmaster but not like any factory bushmaster I've tried..

Thanks for the help guys I might go with a jard single stage to save $ and hassle. That Geissele sounds neat tho! I might have to try one some time. I'm new to two stage triggers(and ar's)
The trigger I tried was a factory bushmaster but not like any factory bushmaster I've tried..

Take a look at this article The Best Aftermarket AR-15 Triggers - Shotgun News Unless I missed it you don't state your intended use for the rifle. Most of us would recommend a single stage trigger for shooting fast at targets that are close and a 2 stage for precision/long range work. I know nothing about Jard. Their site says the triggers use your original pins. This would scare me away if I were looking for consistent trigger pull. The guy with the good Bushy trigger either got lucky or has many rounds downrange through the gun. GI triggers sometimes get better as the wear. GH

I have 3 Geissele SSA-E triggers. IIRC the first stage is 2.5 lbs the second breaks @ 1.3 lbs not 3.5 lbs.

OP, what is your intended purpose for your AR? I ask because generally 2-stage triggers are used for accuracy, if your intention is for quick follow up shots and the like then you would probably be better off going with a single stage. There is also the Geissele SD-3G which is fantastic for quick followup shots (look for it on YouTube and you'll see what I mean). Timney also makes a nice drop in single stage trigger with a light 3lb pull and that is much closer to your budget, the model is the 667s

PS - I have the Geissele SSA-E and it is an awesome 2-stage trigger. You can also buy spring kits for your stock trigger that are much cheaper at about $12 like the JP kit. Beware that you may have some light primer strikes though, definitely not for duty carry but can be a cheap alternative...

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Jewell trigger, and it's very easily adjustable with no special tools needed, also fond of rock river although not to sure of its adjustability. Both gave great feel and gave me good results when set to about 5lbs for high power competition.

Seth

Originally posted by wjm308

"You can also buy spring kits for your stock trigger that are much cheaper at about $12 like the JP kit. Beware that you may have some light primer strikes though, definitely not for duty carry but can be a cheap alternative"

I installed the jP trigger kit, less hammer spring, on several of my AR's. It work fairly decently on some on others not much of a change. Eventually replaced the JP springs with SSA-E triggers.

I believe that the only Geissele that can be adjusted to 2.5 lb overall w/o modifications is the high speed match. This is per a document that came from Geissele. I wish we could post pdf files. I can no longer find it on the Geissele site so I can't paste a link.

I don't know your use case but 2.5 lb is pretty light. I have a couple of SSA-E and one DMR on my rifles. I love both.

BR,

If you want to drop the loot for one of Geissele's HS triggers, order it from Raniers. No matter which of the three HS triggers you order, they sent you the spring kits for the other two, free of charge. So you will have the ability to try out each and see which you like. And the HS triggers are adjustable.

Yep, the only two triggers that will get you a total pull weight of 2.5 lbs would be the Geissele HS Match Rifle trigger and the AR Gold unit from ATC. The Geissele is adjustable so you can tune both stages to the specific weights you want, the AR Gold is not. Both are fantastic. G is $280, the AR Gold is 3 bills.

Add the Hiperfire, which is 2lbs, though a single stage.

I spent the weekend at a CQB clinic.

It was about learning how to compete at CQB style matches including how to shoot from modified prone position, performing tasks such as reloading and clearing jams under stress, what equipment works and what doesn't etc.

I brought 2 rifles with me with 2 different triggers.
The first was a Geissele S3G which is a hybrid between a single stage and a 2 stage at 3.5 lbs
The second was an SSA-E which is a 2 stage with the same 3.5lb.
The difference was when shooting a rapid fire string the S3G could be shot much faster than the SSA-E but when it came to taking a long distance precision shot the feel of the 2 stage gives a much cleaner more predictable break.

Last edited:
The trigger pull you described belongs to the AR Gold. About $300 out the door.

I enjoy Varmint/Predator hunting as well as ringing long range steel. I have some nice bolt action rifles with tuned triggers as well as Jewell and Timney triggers. This is my first AR, it has a standard single stage in it with spring kit. I tuned it to a pretty crisp 3.5#. Id like it to break lighter, Ive felt the Timney ar trigger and like it, Im just researching other options.

Thanks for all the info, still trying to decide...

My shootin' partner had a Timney trigger in his AR-until he shot one of my AR's with the SSA-E trigger installed.

His AR's have SSA-E triggers in them now.

I tweaked my SSA-E triggers even more by installing JP springs spring kit # JPS3.5 and it made a fantastic trigger even better. I have fired many, many rounds through my modded AR's and never had a single issue. All of my .223 AR's have titanium firing pins in them and the primer hits are VERY solid-never even close to a hint of a light strike.

I will admit I haven't fired any steel-cased ammo through any of them because I don't shoot steel in any firearm I own EXCEPT for a Norinco SKS I picked up new in the 90's.

I mostly shoot my reloads but I've shot many rounds of PMC, WW, FED, etc. ammo through them without a hiccup.

The cool thing was a ten dollar investment made a super trigger even better and it does make a noticable difference. I asked my shootin' buddy to try my rifle after the mod but didn't tell him what I did. He ran through a mag and said "you must have lucked out on a really good trigger-your's is "smoother" than mine".