• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20” Aero M5 build, have some questions

I like both of mine. Barrels I have no experience with Criterion as I’ve never had one. If I remember correctly Rainer ultra match barrels are criterion blanks done by craddock. I could be very wrong on this. In any case those barrels have been great. Proof, I haven’t had that long but it’s been doing really well. Wilson, when my 6mm shot it was dead on.

I mentioned have trouble with the 6mm Wilson barrel. I’m going to attribute that to the round in the platform. The barrel itself was great and an awesome price.

The Aero builds well. I don’t have a 308 but I think I would use an HP bolt no matter what. Everything else is all preferences like an AR15

So the Wilson Combat 20” is back in stock. Not sure if it’s worth waiting indefinitely for the Criterion or grabbing the Wilson Combat.

I haven’t decided yet. Most people recommend the Criterion over the Wilson Combat.

Wilson Combat are a hell of a deal for what you get. Don't hesitate
I have no knowledge on the Wilson since no one I know has one, but if Padom says they are good, I probably would follow his suggestion if I didn't want to wait for the Criterion.

Reactions: Sigmanx
I emailed Criterion about when their barrels may come back into stock. If it’s going to be a while, I’ll see if Wilson Combat is doing any Black Friday deals.

I emailed Criterion about when their barrels may come back into stock. If it’s going to be a while, I’ll see if Wilson Combat is doing any Black Friday deals.
They are actually on sale right now. I think 285 for a fluted 20" 308 super sniper from Wilson combat

20221112_164309.jpg

Here is my A5 build with Wilson 20" fluted super sniper. Just gotta find a sweet deal on a scope and I will see how it shoots

Anybody know of 5/8 shims that aren't so damn big. Dead air sends shims that fit an mtu contour barrel. Would like to find some that don't stick out so far past the brake and barrel

0A96E48C-F634-441D-8A75-ADA5CCFC1C5F.jpeg

My two new builds in progress.

AR15 is an Aero builders kit in 6.8 SPC. Bison 18” barrel with PWS FSC. LWRC enhanced bolt in a Young MFG BCG. Aero buffer kit and LPK. Geissele SSA-E. I have Magpul back ups and I think I might go with the Vortex UH1.

M5 is Aero upper and lower, LPK and rifle buffer kit. Geissele SSA-E. Magpul PRS. Rubber City BCG. Just ordered the Super Sniper 20” .308. Not sure about muzzle device yet, or optics.

Anybody know of 5/8 shims that aren't so damn big. Dead air sends shims that fit an mtu contour barrel. Would like to find some that don't stick out so far past the brake and barrel
Precision Reflex SS shims are 0.750" OD. They also come with 0.002" thickness shims, thinner than most shim packs include, which can come in handy.

Precision Reflex SS shims are 0.750" OD. They also come with 0.002" thickness shims, thinner than most shim packs include, which can come in handy.
Thank you very much. I will see about getting a couple sets.

Barrel is shipped. Once it’s here, I’ll lap and bed it to the upper. Looking forward to see it come together. I wanted one of the Aero enhanced quad rails but they never seem to be in stock.

Barrel is shipped. Once it’s here, I’ll lap and bed it to the upper. Looking forward to see it come together. I wanted one of the Aero enhanced quad rails but they never seem to be in stock.
Finding a handguard I liked was the hardest part. Still not crazy about the one I got but it will do.

I messaged them about the 16” barrel I was looking at from them and it was doing to be 6-8 months. The specific barrel you’re looking at may not be as long it may be longer.

I messaged them about the 16” barrel I was looking at from them and it was doing to be 6-8 months. The specific barrel you’re looking at may not be as long it may be longer.

I sent them an email and haven’t heard back but my Wilson 20” should be here any day now.

In the barrel dilemma as well. Went full tard on Aero, Geissele, Magpul and Radian Arms last night building a “hog gun”. Will slap a budget NV optic on it (prolly an ATN).

Decisions on barrels is difficult. I don’t need it to stack dimes, but wouldn’t mind it if it did.

Saved almost $500 waiting to buy everything until yesterday.

That looks identical to what I’m wanting for my build. What optic and mount are you running?
Vortex Razor 3-18 w/ EBR-C (I think) mil dot reticle, pic had an aero precision mount but that mount isn’t great on mine. Maybe it’s because it’s an AR-10, but the scope moved every 20 or so shots and then the mount cracked.

Replaced with Seekins rings and zero problems since. If I did over I’d just pay the $20 bucks or whatever to get the seekins rings cerakoted when I did the barrel and brake.

Reactions: rpoL98 and Bhobbs
Vortex Razor 3-18 w/ EBR-C (I think) mil dot reticle, pic had an aero precision mount but that mount isn’t great on mine. Maybe it’s because it’s an AR-10, but the scope moved every 20 or so shots and then the mount cracked.

Replaced with Seekins rings and zero problems since. If I did over I’d just pay the $20 bucks or whatever to get the seekins rings cerakoted when I did the barrel and brake.
i kinda thought the Aero scope mount was the weak link on your set-up. as you found out. other than that, nice build.

View attachment 8010810

Picked up my barrel yesterday. Need or order a lapping kit for the AR10. Not sure about the brake yet.
if you have the regular version of the Aero M5 upper, i.e. not the enhanced M5E1, then the PTG lapping tool will do the job, $35 + S&H.

as far as brakes go, the VG6's are usually on sale somewhere, all the time. VG6 Gamma. For 308, I prefer the Precision Armament M4-72, as long as folks aren't standing aside of you when you shoot, an indicator of its' effectiveness.

Reactions: Renegade_Red
I *used* to have a Wilson in my Mega arms 'Megalythic' 308.
I bought it direct from Wilsons website along with a bolt assy.
After ordering I called to have them headspace it before shipping to me, and would gladly pay whatever to have it done.
I was told by a marble mouthed backwoods country fuck on the phone that it didn't need headspaced since both barrel and bolt were made to "mil-spec".
Hmm.....mil-spec large frame 308 ? Anyone ? Buehler ?
Yea, no shit, that's what they told me.

I shot that thing with every load, both factory and handloads, that I could think of.
Always had 2 nearly exact flyers in every 5 shot grouping.....one at 5 o'clock, one at about 8 o'clock, the other 3 were always touching each other.

Got rid of it and put a cheapo Ballistic Advantage in it and it shot lights out....yes, with the Wilson bolt assy.
Easily get 1/2 groups now with anything decent for a loading, PMC Xtac Match will shoot in the 3/8 region every time and I have had superb luck with the IMI Razorcore match too.....not quite as good as the PMC, but close.

My newer Aero M5 has a Rainier UM barrel in it, it does well enough that I feel no need to change it.

Reactions: rpoL98
I was told by a marble mouthed backwoods country fuck on the phone that it didn't need headspaced since both barrel and bolt were made to "mil-spec".
I had some lady at JSE Surplus tell us the exact same thing when a friend's barrel/bolt combo from them wouldn't even close on a 308 GO Gauge.

I *used* to have a Wilson in my Mega arms 'Megalythic' 308.
I bought it direct from Wilsons website along with a bolt assy.
After ordering I called to have them headspace it before shipping to me, and would gladly pay whatever to have it done.

I shot that thing with every load, both factory and handloads, that I could think of.
Always had 2 nearly exact flyers in every 5 shot grouping.....one at 5 o'clock, one at about 8 o'clock, the other 3 were always touching each other.

Got rid of it and put a cheapo Ballistic Advantage in it and it shot lights out....yes, with the Wilson bolt assy.
Easily get 1/2 groups now with anything decent for a loading, PMC Xtac Match will shoot in the 3/8 region every time and I have had superb luck with the IMI Razorcore match too.....not quite as good as the PMC, but close.

My newer Aero M5 has a Rainier UM barrel in it, it does well enough that I feel no need to change it.
and this is why I bought a set of headspace gauges... years ago. I've done several builds since then, and have gotten my money's worth for sure on that investment. but then again, I'm a tool junkie.

Aero dragging their feet post Black Friday. Ordered to build my M5, only my gas tube and lower parts kit have shipped……they must’ve gotten slammed with orders

Aero dragging their feet post Black Friday. Ordered to build my M5, only my gas tube and lower parts kit have shipped……they must’ve gotten slammed with orders
if you selected Free Shipping, it might take about a week before it gets shipped out. that's been my experience. but it's Free! so I can't grumble.

"and if you call right now, operators are standing by, please have your credit card handy ..."

if you have the regular version of the Aero M5 upper, i.e. not the enhanced M5E1, then the PTG lapping tool will do the job, $35 + S&H.

as far as brakes go, the VG6's are usually on sale somewhere, all the time. VG6 Gamma. For 308, I prefer the Precision Armament M4-72, as long as folks aren't standing aside of you when you shoot, an indicator of its' effectiveness.

Yeah, it’s just a standard M5, not enhanced.

Looking good! I skipped the lapping and shims and just assembled. Even with a generic 41.5gr IMR4064 (metered, not weighed) with Nosler 168's, it's holding just a hair under 1MOA.
QErgP2Pm.jpg

At 500yds it's still "around" 1-1/4 MOA
0md1fBsm.jpg
I’m sure the unlapped rifle will outshoot me but I figured if it’s apart, why not?

what the lapping will provide, is, if you ever put iron sights on that rifle, and go to zero it, if it's lapped, you should have a lesser windage adjustment to achieve zero from the rear-sights' dead-center, due to the barrel bore centerline being more closely aligned with the receiver bore axis. That's what lapping of the front receiver face provides.

similarly, the mechanical zero of the scope should be closer to the bore-sighted zero, windage-wise, than an unlapped receiver. For elevation, you still have to account for scope height above the bore axis.

Last edited:
Following along on this thread I put together a similar .308 build. It’s on standard M5 receivers, Wilson Combat 20” fluted barrel, blem RCA HP bolt carrier group, SLR Sentry 8 agb, and a Triggertech Diamond 2 stage.

I finally put some rounds on it today to break in, zero, and just burn some powder. Right off the bat this thing was stacking shots with 168 FGMM. Going to work up a load and see what happens with some Varget or Imr 4064

Attachments

• 4B4D2625-F7DA-4361-A483-8FAFC4CFD2E4.jpeg
    4B4D2625-F7DA-4361-A483-8FAFC4CFD2E4.jpeg
    743.9 KB · Views: 60
Midway has a Wheeler lapping tool on sale for $24 and comes with the compound!
I ordered both, a couple of other tools, got free shipping. Gotta love a plan coming together. I've got a DB-10 with a 16" barrel. I installed 2-stage trigger, MFT battle link minimalist stock, FAB Gradus grips, Surefire warcomp and a Vortex strike eagle 1-8. Stumbled upon a DSG (BA) 16" SS 6.5cm barrel and ordered most of my parts from Diamondback to build a 2nd complete upper. I paid for, and now waiting on a SS adjustable gas block and a 6.8 Surefire muzzle brake. Haven't decided on optic yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_015009139.jpg
    IMG_20221113_015009139.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221113_015041216.jpg
    IMG_20221113_015041216.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 29
Looks good.

I used a few bass pro gift cards to get a PST Gen II 5-25 for my rifle. I’m hoping to put the barrel on this weekend.

Looks nice! What are the build specs?
Aero M5 enhanced upper and lower. Aero 15” handguard and small parts kit. Wilson Combat 18" "Hunter" barrel. Geissele SSAE trigger, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, Magpul Furniture, Radian Arms charging handle and ambi controls.

scope is a NF SHV just for shits and gigs. it may stay there, it may get the ATN i have as well. undecided. have 3 weeks to send the ATN back

Aero M5 enhanced upper and lower. Aero 15” handguard and small parts kit. Wilson Combat 18" "Hunter" barrel. Geissele SSAE trigger, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, Magpul Furniture, Radian Arms charging handle and ambi controls.

scope is a NF SHV just for shits and gigs. it may stay there, it may get the ATN i have as well. undecided. have 3 weeks to send the ATN back
Nice. I think I’m gonna build a 2nd upper for mine once I finish it and throw a good thermal scope on it.

Range session. Set the gas block for and good in between for suppressed and non (SF Socom 762). Shot couple of different match ammos and some good ole
Hornady American Whitetail.

54E11E21-EF9F-46A8-890C-4D4DCDB8D73E.jpeg