• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20” Aero M5 build, have some questions

I grabbed a Rubber City high pressure bolt to replace my standard bolt. Do I need a different firing pin?

Reactions: Billiam1211
I grabbed a Rubber City high pressure bolt to replace my standard bolt. Do I need a different firing pin?
depends on if your current bolt is HP or not.

Bottom Line: you'd use an HP firing pin with an HP bolt, and a std LR-308 DPMS-style FP with a non-HP DPMS-pattern bolt.

a non-HP FP won't fit in a HP bolt.

some folks have indicated that some HP bolts use a proprietary HP FP. I've found that the HP FP interchanges between Toolcraft (from Arm-or-Ally), Aero, and Brownells HP bolts. I'd suspect that a HP RCA bolt/FP would fall into that same family, but have no first-hand experience as such. You'd be best off getting the right FP from RCA, just so that you know it's correct.

I was under the impression that most of the time, when you buy an HP bolt, it comes with a HP FP, for the above reasons.

My original BCG had a standard bolt. I looked on their site and didn’t see a HP firing pin. I ordered a HP bolt to swap my BCG. They do have a HP bolt and firing pin combo but it doesn’t list the firing pin itself as HP.

Reactions: rpoL98
Welp, I missed the HP firing pin so I ordered one of those too.

Welp, I missed the HP firing pin so I ordered one of those too.
you shoulda ordered two, you know, "one is none, and two is one, ..."

since you're already paying for the shipping. oh well, lesson learned. Firing pins do fail, and it's usually caused by ammo "anomalies".

you shoulda ordered two, you know, "one is none, and two is one, ..."

since you're already paying for the shipping. oh well, lesson learned. Firing pins do fail, and it's usually caused by ammo "anomalies".

I plan on keeping the standard bolt and FP as my backup.

33D328E8-51FB-4D54-82E0-F4E5A62B9DCB.jpeg

Just about done with my M5 build. Decided to do a family picture with my 6.8 and Glock 21.

Just need to pick a scope mount.

I ordered a Recon S 20 MOA mount but I’m being told it’s now backordered until May. I have a trip planned for April, and would like to take this out for a test. Any other recommendations for a 20 MOA mount, 30mm tube 50mm objective?

I ordered a Recon S 20 MOA mount but I’m being told it’s now backordered until May. I have a trip planned for April, and would like to take this out for a test. Any other recommendations for a 20 MOA mount, 30mm tube 50mm objective?
@Bhobbs
it looks like Brownells has the ADM Recon-S, 30mm, 20MOA in-stock at this time, $189.05 + S&H, tax, etc. I use it with my 56mm objective scopes, no issues, even with a sun-shade.

Reactions: Sigmanx
@Bhobbs
it looks like Brownells has the ADM Recon-S, 30mm, 20MOA in-stock at this time, $189.05 + S&H, tax, etc. I use it with my 56mm objective scopes, no issues, even with a sun-shade.

That’s where I ordered mine. It’s been stuck processing for over a week. They told me it’s out of stock but it shows in stock.

• Wow
That’s where I ordered mine. It’s been stuck processing for over a week. They told me it’s out of stock but it shows in stock.
wow, interesting, and so very disappointing. sorry to hear that. I checked Midway and they're out-of-stock. my condolences, sorry. Sounds like they're having a ton of issues with their new web-site, yikes!

it looks like ADM has that one in stock, 30mm, 20MOA Recon-S. but then you're paying full MSRP, $227. ouch! how desperate are you?

ADM also has 40MOA version for $199, and I've used that one also for my long-distance set-ups, but you'll have to make sure you have enough elevation travel in your scope before you get that one. I think it works out to if the scope has 25 mils of total elevation travel, and your rifle, scope mount, and scope combo is real close to mechanical zero, then it works. just off the top of my head. I forget the math ...

I've used the 40MOA version with my Vortex Venom, and my Athlon Cronus, 56mm objective scopes. FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bhobbs
it looks like ADM has that one in stock, 30mm, 20MOA Recon-S. but then you're paying full MSRP, $227. ouch! how desperate are you?

ADM also has 40MOA version for $199, and I've used that one also for my long-distance set-ups, but you'll have to make sure you have enough elevation travel in your scope before you get that one. I think it works out to if the scope has 25 mils of total elevation travel, and your rifle, scope mount, and scope combo is real close to mechanical zero, then it works. just off the top of my head. I forget the math ...

I've used the 40MOA version with my Vortex Venom, and my Athlon Cronus, 56mm objective scopes. FWIW.

I’m impatient and I got it in FDE haha.

Thanks for the help.

I bought the NightForce one piece mount 20moa from Sport Optics. It’s about $200 and in stock

Thank you to all the people that helped me out. I appreciate it. Can’t wait to put some rounds down range. Got 100 rounds of 175 FGMM on the way.

Reactions: Sigmanx
Finally took the rifle out this morning. Put about 40 rounds of 175 FGMM through it and had no issues. All 40 fed, fired and extracted. The wind was blowing my target around pretty good so I didn’t get a solid zero. Got it roughly dialed in. Ranged a rock on a hillside at about 1000 yards and took a few shots at it. Hit 3 of 10 but seeing splash was hard. Either way, it went better than I expected. Very happy with the build.