• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20” or 24” Tikka 6.5 CM?

Helislacker

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I’m I’m looking to build my first long range rifle to shoot matches and become proficient at shooting ~600-1000 yards. After reviewing what’s out there, i settled on a Tikka CTR 6.5 CM. I wanted to purchase one but it became clear that finding a 24” model is very difficult and may involve a significant waiting period (Canada). So, I began looking at the 20” model and quickly realized that I would also be able to hunt with a compact 20” model. Now I’m undecided, does the velocity increase of the 24” justify waiting for it? Or, do I purchase the 20” model, become extremely proficient with it, and use it as a do all rifle? Or does the 20” barrel handicap it too much to be a viable match rifle and ruin the benefits of using a 6.5 CM? Interested to hear your thoughts

Good choice. I got a 24” CTR in 6.5 CM for Christmas.
How bad is the wait for the 24” ?
Will you be looking to re-barrel anytime soon ?

Good choice. I got a 24” CTR in 6.5 CM for Christmas.
How bad is the wait for the 24” ?
Will you be looking to re-barrel anytime soon ?

Probably 4-5 months. I figure I can always rebarrel to a 24”+ If I’m serious about getting into the sport. I think the 20” is an excellent option for a do all rifle.

I just got a 20 this year for deer season and have been knocking them down with it and shot steel out to a 1000.

It's a little slower than my friends 24 inch but that just means I dial a little higher. it's just as accurate to 1000.

I just got a 20 this year for deer season and have been knocking them down with it and shot steel out to a 1000.

It's a little slower than my friends 24 inch but that just means I dial a little higher. it's just as accurate to 1000.

What speed you get from factory loads? Thank you

Long range/match shooting and hunting aren't the same thing. Pick one and drive on. Otherwise you are dealing with compromises on both ends.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
What speed you get from factory loads? Thank you

I'm not sure what I ended up with at 1000. I did a quick zero and walked it out. I didn't write anything down or true my ballistic app. Should have.

If it will ever quit raining here I'll use my magnetospeed and post what I get.

I'm not sure what I ended up with at 1000. I did a quick zero and walked it out. I didn't write anything down or true my ballistic app. Should have.

If it will ever quit raining here I'll use my magnetospeed and post what I get.
Thanks

If you want to hunt, take a 20" 308 or go even bigger.

If you want to shoot on long ranges, 6.5CM with a 24" barrel makes sense.

I do have a CTR in 6.5CM and with a 24" barrel.
Since I have bedded the system it shoots well under 0.4 MOA all day long.

Someone had posted some velocities and I took a picture so I could use it for my Leupold turret...I can’t find the thread but below was for Hornady 143 ELDX and this was through a 20” barrel

C2D4AAAE-9DCD-4085-A6DB-33E1CF68BB56.jpeg

Reactions: yeos and S_R
I’ve had four 20” CTR’s. Love them. I use them for primarily for hunting, but I always seem to shoot out the barrels on them (I seem to shoot them more than the others). I’ve been tripping the “used” ones as donors as I’m too lazy to rebarrel them.

I like the 20” because it seems handier for me. Also, all have seemed to shoot exactly the same in regards to accuracy. That’s one of the reasons I love them...consistency from one rifle to the next. If I only used them for banging steel or screwing around at the range, I’d probably go 24”. For hunting use, the 20” makes the most sense to me.

If you want to hunt, take a 20" 308 or go even bigger.

If you want to shoot on long ranges, 6.5CM with a 24" barrel makes sense.

I do have a CTR in 6.5CM and with a 24" barrel.
Since I have bedded the system it shoots well under 0.4 MOA all day long.
Jayjay1, c’mon man do you even hunt? If a .308 will kill it so will a 6.5 creedmoor. My son hammered a hog and a deer a few weeks ago with his new Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor. I took 6 deer last year with mine from 150 yds to 365 yds. I killed my first 4 deer with a 30 carbine. In fact that little carbine killed more kids first deer than probably any other in the country. Lol.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Jayjay1, c’mon man do you even hunt?

Sir, no sir, but I have hunting genes (proofed).
My forefathers were hunters for decades and my last name signs that.

So I "know" through the mercy of my birth, and you go better fishing.
:geek:

Well, just the pure numbers, and I wrote ".308 or even bigger".

We Germans are wellknown for overdoing things, right?
On the other hand, they more often work, but that´s another story for sure.

German hunting laws prescribe min. calibers for several game, better a min. energy.
8x57 IS is the wideliest used caliber for hunting over here, but even 9,3x64 is usual although we don´t have elephants.

http://deutsches-jagd-lexikon.de/index.php?title=Mindestkaliber

@Jayjay1 you're also well know for designing one of the best rifles, it just took the Swedes to properly chamber it.

My 20" creed is slow. A little over 2450 with 140gr. Nearly 300fps slower than a 25" rock creek. I really like the rifle and do not regret the purchase. When I rebarrel I'll probably go 18" with the expectation that a good cut 18" will be faster than the current 20"

@Jayjay1 you're also well know for designing one of the best rifles, it just took the Swedes to properly chamber it.

My 20" creed is slow. A little over 2450 with 140gr. Nearly 300fps slower than a 25" rock creek. I really like the rifle and do not regret the purchase. When I rebarrel I'll probably go 18" with the expectation that a good cut 18" will be faster than the current 20"

I’m looking at doing an 18” barrel with my 6.5 ctr for hunting w/ suppressor . Any thoughts on what barrel you are looking at?

@jwhjwh54 No. I need to start researching to see if there's an off the shelf contour that will work with the ctr stock.

Reactions: jwhjwh54
@jwhjwh54 No. I need to start researching to see if there's an off the shelf contour that will work with the ctr stock.
A dremel works wonders. I dremel my ctr stocks to give more clearance with the factory barrel. The stock is stiff enough to go a little heavier with the barrel if you desire. I opened up my grayboe ridgeback the same way to fit a heavy palma barrel. Took about 15 minutes.

Well yeah, you know, the first ones were chambered in Germany as well.

While the other militaries were not able to make such a huge step from their oversized black powder bullets, the Swedes pretty much were a century in the future.

Then again, when NATO wanted to skip the .308, they made a wrong decision where the Brits already had a good middle caliber and NATO decided to take the .223.

Some failures were made in the past which then lasted for decades and still do.