• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

20" 300WM

Re: 20" 300WM

I don't know him but I gotta admit, I kinda like him already
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1,000,000 posts i dont care, hes a smart ass that had nothing good for this post, YOU can consider his thoughts the word of god, ill continue on, talk to me like a fucking idiot get it right back </div></div>

The fact remains... You've no idea who the man is, and you've less than a clue about what he's accomplished, yet you still want to draw fire... 'related to Pete?'

He's more knowledge about hunting/shooting/fishing in his left pinky than most can fathom, and he has the ability to back up EVERY statement with fact. The mere fact that you're butt hurt and intimidated by his prose speaks volumes.

Speak to you like an idiot? Please, his grasp of the English language far surpasses yours; if only obvious.

Best you sit back and observe rather than engage him. You would be best served by reading and listening to what he has to say (for the most part).

If you ask nicely Rack, he might post some "Real Hunting Footage for you".

He isn't a real sniper though, so I don't know how you will like it.

I read that first post, got a big grin, and started LAFFIN !!!

Rack, you are out of your depth if you think this is a simple dick measuring contest. Let this one slide and look forward to the info NOBODY can impart.

sit back and watch? i started this thread, but oh well, ill shut my mouth, BUT... if he is a "real sniper" man thats frickin awesome, is it ok if sit indian style with you guys in a circle around him with my hand in the air waiting to get to talk to him? i mean he is a "hunting fishing shooting and everything else god" right. jeez borat got a pussy magent i got a dick magnet, ill come back to this website when im 60 and know everything and maybe ill fit in, jeez im out done with this site

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY,

I'll letcha swim away,but I'll hook your dumb ass again.

(And again,as per my whim) </div></div>

Well, guess we dont have to guess as to your orientation anymore.
Have fun with your posting advancements.
This shit is funny. Please explain his legend to us mere mortals.... after all "all this was before my time"

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't feel like looking up the exact number. Just trying to keep the peace while this little readjustment takes place.</div></div>

Seeing that NOBODY is still banned and creating two (or 3 or 4) alternate logins to skirt the rules is against said rules, I'm fairly certain the readjustment won't be needed at this time. </div></div>

Party pooper.

Rackchaser and KY,

Here is just the tip of the iceberg...Enjoy the reading. When I read his first post in this thread I just about lost it. His tongue lashings are legendary. A real sniper he is not, "resident hunting expert" he may be. I never thought I would see the day he came back.

NOBODY

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive never heard of anyone going that short on a 300WM. I have heard of people going to a 22" 300WSM.... </div></div>

Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Short barreled systems have been around for YEARS which is kinda funny that alot of people on this site act like it is a new concept
smile.gif
Hell I remember when people on here argued drastically that short barrels were completely BAD and yada yada yada..now the same people are praising the short barrel systems.

Heck even Remington and Ashbury offer 20" barrels on their new govt solicitation rifles in both 338LM and 300WM.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive never heard of anyone going that short on a 300WM. I have heard of people going to a 22" 300WSM.... </div></div>

Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Short barreled systems have been around for YEARS which is kinda funny that alot of people on this site act like it is a new concept
smile.gif
Hell I remember when people on here argued drastically that short barrels were completely BAD and yada yada yada..now the same people are praising the short barrel systems.

Heck even Remington and Ashbury offer 20" barrels on their new govt solicitation rifles in both 338LM and 300WM.

Thanks </div></div>

...but, if he hasn't heard about it. Not even read it on the internet.... Can't be true.

im about to say fuck it and just do it, i personally think it wold be a handy little rifle, the ammo selection for a 3000wm is huge and easy to find, i will probably never in my life shoot past 500. and just think with a 20" barrel you could kill him and cook him with one shot, but on the serious side i actually have come across a few people doing it. i mean its not like it wouldnt shoot.i had a 300 before and really liked the way the 300 shoots so im really leaning back towards getting another one.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive never heard of anyone going that short on a 300WM. I have heard of people going to a 22" 300WSM.... </div></div>

smile.gif

Thanks </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> jeez im out done with this site </div></div>

Change of heart.......

yeah between nobody and my baby having pink eye i was in a wonderful mood last night and figured what the fuck im out, but what else is there, google? fuck that i guess i can take 1 good post for every 5 shithead ones ; )<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> jeez im out done with this site </div></div>

Change of heart....... </div></div>

There was an article in the Jan 2004 Guns Magazine written by Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch fame. The article is titled "The long and short of it: are long barreled rifles necessarily more accurate?" They had a heavy barreled 300WM tactical rifle that they cut down in 2" stages from 24" to 16" with quite interesting results (ie velocities and accuracy). You can look up the article in google.

hey thanks, wow 187fps lost going from 24" to 20" with a 190gr bullet, ill be using 150s so it should stay pretty quick. hmmmmmm the idea doesnt sound so bad afterall<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was an article in the Jan 2004 Guns Magazine written by Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch fame. The article is titled "The long and short of it: are long barreled rifles necessarily more accurate?" They had a heavy barreled 300WM tactical rifle that they cut down in 2" stages from 24" to 16" with quite interesting results (ie velocities and accuracy). You can look up the article in google. </div></div>

rack,

Why the hell not try it? Are you going to brake it and finish it at 20"? Make sure to give us a report if you have access to a chrono. Good luck.

Josh

If you are hunting in timber, you'll want short. I hunt with a 21" .30-06 and I'm going to cut it back more because the end is ported and I don't like the ports. It kicks pretty good, but that's life. Get a limb-saver pad, and a brake if it's that bad.

Short isn't new, but you guys can't expect everyone to know that. Don't be too harsh on the new guy, everyone starts somewhere. That said, I'd suggest you just let it go rack. Nobody is quite a wealth of info if you can get past the prickly demeanor. I remember him briefly from when I was a new guy.

Just let it roll off you like water on fowl. Go cut your rifle to 22" and see how you like it, if not, cut more. Short works... besides, on a hunting rig you can compensate with different loads (even off the shelf), bullet weights, and types. WHAT are you hunting?

deer and alot of hogs<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are hunting in timber, you'll want short. I hunt with a 21" .30-06 and I'm going to cut it back more because the end is ported and I don't like the ports. It kicks pretty good, but that's life. Get a limb-saver pad, and a brake if it's that bad.

Short isn't new, but you guys can't expect everyone to know that. Don't be too harsh on the new guy, everyone starts somewhere. That said, I'd suggest you just let it go rack. Nobody is quite a wealth of info if you can get past the prickly demeanor. I remember him briefly from when I was a new guy.

Just let it roll off you like water on fowl. Go cut your rifle to 22" and see how you like it, if not, cut more. Short works... besides, on a hunting rig you can compensate with different loads (even off the shelf), bullet weights, and types. WHAT are you hunting? </div></div>

If you're just hunting deer and hogs have you though about just sticking with a .308?

.308 should do it's part out to at least 400 yds if you do your part. AND your barrel will last longer, ammo is cheaper, and then there's less fatigue while shooting.

my $.02,
LM

deer and hogs don't really NEED the magnum, but if that's what trips your trigger, then go for it. I think .308/.30-06 might be more manageable on recoil for a lighter/shorter rig.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ron Burgundy:</span> Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Champ Kind:</span> It jumped up a notch.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ron Burgundy:</span> It did, didn't it?
<span style="font-weight: bold">Brick Tamland:</span> Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ron Burgundy:</span> I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
<span style="font-weight: bold">Brick Tamland:</span> Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ron Burgundy:</span> Brick, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Instant high level.
When I build my .300 later this year will be leaning towards a 24-26" bbl + brake. My ears are already ringing.

I prefers cans too, but they are not legal to hunt with in alot of places. Check your local regs, as WY is different from FL i'm sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im about to say fuck it and just do it, i personally think it wold be a handy little rifle, the ammo selection for a 3000wm is huge and easy to find, <span style="font-weight: bold">i will probably never in my life shoot past 500.</span> and just think with a 20" barrel you could kill him and cook him with one shot, but on the serious side i actually have come across a few people doing it. i mean its not like it wouldnt shoot.i had a 300 before and really liked the way the 300 shoots so im really leaning back towards getting another one</div></div>

Then WHY in God's name do you THINK you NEED a 300WM?!?! a 308 will do everything you are asking for in an 18" barrel. Seriously kid, numbers are your friends when it comes to making a decision for killing things. Get yourself a good ballistics table of factory rounds and start comparing. I can walk into any store in just about ANY location and find 308.... guarantee you can't do that w/ 300WM. and it AGAIN comes back to being familiar, comfortable and perfectly proficient w/ your rifle to kill consistantly...do you really think you could tolerate(or AFFORD for that matter) shooting HALF as many rounds out of a 20" 300 than a 20" 308?!? And if you answer 'yes' to that then nothing anybody(or NOBODY) says is gonna help you. Minds are like parachutes.... However, you don't NEED a parachute if your only jumping 3' off a porch. If you don't wanna be treated like an idiot, stop asking idiotic questions.

PS- I have a sledgehammer fly swatter for sale if you are interested(as you seem to be very interested in OVERKILL) oly used twice, can't stand the recoil and a brake is too expensive for how much I use the damn thing....
wink.gif

rack, what have you decided.... I'm thinking of building a 20" 300wm as well. I have an 18" .308 that is a tac driver.... 3/10 groups at 100 with 175gr SMK (BH and AB M118LR) my best group at 300 is 1.05"

you should consider handloading.... it rewarding when you tune a load for your gun, I am sure you can get your hands on a chrono... either thru a club or ebay. well worth it. in my .308 it was between 20-30fps loss per inch, depending on the factory load. when i handloaded it was 15fps on average loss