• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

20" 300WM

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
i havent seen one of these yet, im taking the 300wm into consideration for my new rifle but dont want all the weight of the long barrel, im going to hunt with it, so what would be the down sides of buying a 700p in 300wm and cutting the barrel to 20". other than the kick of a 7lb 300wm

Re: 20" 300WM

Ive never heard of anyone going that short on a 300WM. I have heard of people going to a 22" 300WSM....

Besides lots of slow burning powder needing room to get bullets up to velocity.....
21585d1249007433-ground-bees-flamethrower.jpg

well what would be the difference between a 300wsm and a 300wm with a 20"? i would still be around 3000fps with a 20" wm right?

Special Weapons for Militay and Police- winter 2003 had an article on it 300WSM on a 18" from D&L Sports

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well what would be the difference between a 300wsm and a 300wm with a 20"? i would still be around 3000fps with a 20" wm right? </div></div>

Heck no...

All this depends on your bullet choice and load of course, but a lot folks are lucky to get that out of 26" barrels. Then again I'm thinking 208gr+. Maybe if you wanted to use a 150gr. you could do that. Hell just be a test dummy and see what happens, prove everyone wrong. Worst case senario you have to rebarrel and end up with a nicer rifle.

pointblank4445 said:
I'd say if you want a short 300WM, then go for it. I have posed similar questions with other rounds and have gotten the same answer: "I wouldn't go less than 24 or 22"".

I kind of quit listening after I saw the fella that had a AI AWSM .338LM and a 20" barrel. That and Lowlight's demos with the short .308 and .260 have made a short-barrel advocate out of me.

One thing you DO have to realize that not everything is going to be as versatile as the .308 when chopping the barrel. It is a fact that you will lose velocity. It really comes down to how far you want to shoot it. Given the right twist rate and right load, you could be a trend setter.

GO FOR IT!

I run a 22" barrel on my 300WM, but I'm at 3500 ft. I can easily get 2900 fps from 208's, but they shoot most accurately in the 2800-2850 range. It's 7.1 mil to 1000 yds. w/100 yd. zero.

I shot it when it was 7.5 lbs. I got a brake. Now that it's 12.5 lbs., it's like shooting a .243.

IIRC the 300WSM is more efficient so it burns it's powder earlier in the barrel. A 20" might work there, but for the WM I'd keep it to at least 22", longer at sea level. Unless you're limited to an urban setting where distance is less important than handling (in which case you'd probably be using a .308).

John

I built a 6.5#,all up,.300WM a few years back.It sported a 21"bbl.Besides being satanical with recoil,illumination was fantastic(grin).I never got past factory loads before selling it,but 180grn. pills were out the muzzle at 2840ish.Hope that helps.

I say go for it, also. It will be a flame thrower for sure, and have a massive muzzle blast. I would use a faster burning powder rather than a slower powder to get as much burn as possible. You would lose about 15-25 fps per inch. So, from a 26 inch barrel, I'd guess a 90-150 fps decrease in velocity to a 20". It's not my cup of tea, but would be pretty interesting.

well see im not a reloader, this is going to be a rifle shooting off the shelf ammo, 150gr hornady sst's to be exact. im looking for a light rifle for the woods. im not worried about recoil. If i could get the sps t or ltr in 300wm i would own one. Im fixing to buy a new rifle and i just have all these ideas of what i want in my head so im trying to narrow it down. thanks guys ill keep your answers in mind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well see im not a reloader.... </div></div>

Yeah, I said that at one time too. Assuming you continue down this path, you eventually will.

Not to be overly critical of your caliber choice, but given the information provided are you sure the 300WM is your best option?

Given the information you have provided:
Factory Ammo
Light rifle
for the woods (i'm assuming in your region of FL)

I'm just using this round as an example, but why not something like the .338 Federal? It runs out of a .308-length case, and can throw a pretty heavy bullet with some decent power. You could have a relatively short barrel and a light rifle with sufficient power. For a "woods rifle" (at least in my logic), you are going to be shooting at limited ranges. Again, i'm assuming this is for Florida. If you said you were going to CO, WY, etc. I would sing a different tune.

If this isn't going to be a custom gun or precision rifle with precision ammo, I think there are better options for you.

Think bullets,not chamberings.

I'm a fan of 20" tubes,but you can eek more mileage (downrange performance),with a different bore diameter and less powder capacity. Agg's will be smaller,ES more predictable and the mannerisms more favorable across the board.

A 20" 300Winny wouldn't spook me however,if forced to slum 30cal.

If there's no upside in the extrapolation,then you'd do well to reconsider.

Don't make easy shit hard,just for the sake of the bragging rights for that "honor". Less is very often more and less concession.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If there's no upside in the extrapolation,then you'd do well to reconsider.

Don't make easy shit hard,just for the sake of the bragging rights for that "honor". Less is very often more and less concession. </div></div>

You say more when you say nothing at all. Your creeping your way to 51 posts!
I think they made meds now for rambling on like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You say more when you say nothing at all. Your creeping your way to 51 posts!
I think they made meds now for rambling on like this. </div></div>

KY your well behind the power curve on this guy. Better to just sit back and view. Way before your time here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KY,

I'll letcha swim away,but I'll hook your dumb ass again.

(And again,as per my whim) </div></div>

much to that...

I'm told that you need at least 23.5 inches to burn the powder column completely. I went with a 24.5" 1 in 12 Bartlien #4 fluted w/ a brake in a Manners T4A. Without optics it's 10.5 lbs. It'll sling 150 grn ballistic silvertips at 3400 (75grn RL 22, Lapua case, 215Ms). I would think that if you went with a #3 taper 24 inch fluted with a Manner MCS-SL, T or T3 carbon you could get to 7.5-8.5lbs with optics.

An inch of barrel means a whole lot less than dick. Balance/handling are what dictate the merit of a platform(save Belly Bench pursuits and the like). I'd much rather field a 20" 300Winny that balanced nicely,as opposed to a 28" POS that was more "efficient".

We'll save NBT's for another day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An inch of barrel means a whole lot less than dick. Balance/handling are what dictate the merit of a platform(save Belly Bench pursuits and the like). I'd much rather field a 20" 300Winny that balanced nicely,as opposed to a 28" POS that was more "efficient".

We'll save NBT's for another day. </div></div>

Wow registered today and already have 32 posts. Way to go. I guess your handle should be ASSHAT instead of ASIPLEASE. My rifle balances very nicely. The point of my post was there are other ways to shave the weight and BTW I agree it needs to balance well or it aint worth dick.

i do hunt alot in fl, deer and alot of hogs, most of my deer hunting is in ga where we have 1000acres, the longest shot on the place is about 400yrds, i think a different rifle is a better choice, maybe the 20" 308 doesnt sound so bad. if i go with the 300wm ill just get a 700 in 24 or 26 with a slim barrel, they seem to shoot pretty good groups, i dont think a heavy barrel us really needed for what i do. I need to get this Tacticool crap out of my head and focus on whats smart. thanks guys the 20" 300wm isnt what i thought<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well see im not a reloader.... </div></div>

Yeah, I said that at one time too. Assuming you continue down this path, you eventually will.

Not to be overly critical of your caliber choice, but given the information provided are you sure the 300WM is your best option?

Given the information you have provided:
Factory Ammo
Light rifle
for the woods (i'm assuming in your region of FL)

I'm just using this round as an example, but why not something like the .338 Federal? It runs out of a .308-length case, and can throw a pretty heavy bullet with some decent power. You could have a relatively short barrel and a light rifle with sufficient power. For a "woods rifle" (at least in my logic), you are going to be shooting at limited ranges. Again, i'm assuming this is for Florida. If you said you were going to CO, WY, etc. I would sing a different tune.

If this isn't going to be a custom gun or precision rifle with precision ammo, I think there are better options for you. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An inch of barrel means a whole lot less than dick. Balance/handling are what dictate the merit of a platform(save Belly Bench pursuits and the like). I'd much rather field a 20" 300Winny that balanced nicely,as opposed to a 28" POS that was more "efficient".

Wow registered today and already have 32 posts. Way to go. I guess your handle should be ASSHAT instead of ASIPLEASE. My rifle balances very nicely. The point of my post was there are other ways to shave the weight and BTW I agree it needs to balance well or it aint worth dick. </div></div>

'VAR,

You can bullshit the fans,but you can't bullshit the players. No need to reiterate how very goddamned little you know...it's obvious.

holy shit how do you have 32 posts in one day????? im a new guy to but i have to ask, your not related to a man name pete are ya????<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An inch of barrel means a whole lot less than dick. Balance/handling are what dictate the merit of a platform(save Belly Bench pursuits and the like). I'd much rather field a 20" 300Winny that balanced nicely,as opposed to a 28" POS that was more "efficient".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An inch of barrel means a whole lot less than dick. Balance/handling are what dictate the merit of a platform(save Belly Bench pursuits and the like). I'd much rather field a 20" 300Winny that balanced nicely,as opposed to a 28" POS that was more "efficient".

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">Wow registered today and already have 32 posts.</span></span> Way to go. I guess your handle should be ASSHAT instead of ASIPLEASE. My rifle balances very nicely. The point of my post was there are other ways to shave the weight and BTW I agree it needs to balance well or it aint worth dick. </div></div>

I bet he has some super high speed shit his is going to sell as soon as he hits 50... Why not just ban this stupid ass before he causes someone problems...
I wonder if he has a counter sniper scope for sale!

What up wil!!!!!!!!!

good to see you this weekend and good job at the match.

NOmag

The more you focus upon real world scenarios,the happier you'll be at the finish line. 400yds Today,is a hip shot and there's far more rifles capable of doing that,than there are those that that cannot.

Utility is tough to argue against,because it simply bears the most fruit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANAVAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASIPLEASE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An inch of barrel means a whole lot less than dick. Balance/handling are what dictate the merit of a platform(save Belly Bench pursuits and the like). I'd much rather field a 20" 300Winny that balanced nicely,as opposed to a 28" POS that was more "efficient".

Wow registered today and already have 32 posts. Way to go. I guess your handle should be ASSHAT instead of ASIPLEASE. My rifle balances very nicely. The point of my post was there are other ways to shave the weight and BTW I agree it needs to balance well or it aint worth dick. </div></div>

'VAR,

You can bullshit the fans,but you can't bullshit the players. No need to reiterate how very goddamned little you know...it's obvious.</div></div>

It appears that NOBODY has found his way home....the queen allows you to access this site?

No wonder you are rackchaser instead of rackcatcher. You are stuck in the rut of having to factor your abilities in an extrapolation to try and cypher another's,rest assured,that's a slippery fucking slope.

Now and again I'll toss you a rope and drag you around,if only for laughs.

whats your goal on this site???? are you just trying to build up your posts to sale something or what? the only laugh your gonna get out of me is when you think im going to ask for your help. your better off just shutting your mouth because YOU are the one on the slippery slope, and please please come rubb MY nose in it, THAT will be a laugh

Rack, he was on registered on this site back in 2002 with over 5000 post if I remember correctly. Took some time off and came back with a new name. If he states something about hunting or shooting, You should take it as the word of God.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think "dumbfuckitude" was a word he quite possible trademarked. </div></div>

...much to that

lol.... there is no adjusting necessary... those that have been here a while know what's up... the 'new' crowd just got 'shock & awed' & it's flippin' hilarious...

man... give a guy a couple months on the forum here and they act like they know WTF... laffin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't feel like looking up the exact number. Just trying to keep the peace while this little readjustment takes place.</div></div>

Seeing that NOBODY is still banned and creating two (or 3 or 4) alternate logins to skirt the rules is against said rules, I'm fairly certain the readjustment won't be needed at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aw man... May I petition for a pardon ??</div></div>

Sure...but I can guarantee you that I don't have those powers.

There's this guy named Lowlight, maybe you've heard of him, he's the king of this castle. I am but a pawn.

1,000,000 posts i dont care, hes a smart ass that had nothing good for this post, YOU can consider his thoughts the word of god, ill continue on, talk to me like a fucking idiot get it right back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">aw man... May I petition for a pardon ??</div></div>

Sure...but I can guarantee you that I don't have those powers.

There's this guy named Lowlight, maybe you've heard of him, he's the king of this castle. I am but a pawn. </div></div>

touche'

This thread is too funny! I knew it was him reading his first post.