• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 inch vs 22 inch barrel

Redneck308

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2014
Baltimore
Gents,

I'm a new guy on here and have one of those stupid new guy questions. I'm looking at building a rifle with either a 20 inch or 22 inch barrel. More than likely it will be a Kreiger or Bartlein with 1:11.25 twist (we use the FGGM 168 BTHP). It needs the capability to reach out to 600 yards consistently, with 800 being ideal. However, I'm looking to keep it as short as possible.

Here are the specs I have come up with so far:

Ashbury Precision Ordnance Chassis (these guys are awesome if you've never dealt with them)

Templar S/A, Surgeon 591 S/A or Ashbury Saber Chassis

#7 Contour Bartlein Fluted Barrel 1:11.25 twist (20 or 22 inch)

AWC PSR Brake

Timney Trigger tuned to 2.5 lbs

Badger DBM M5

The big question if with the barrel length, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I know that if I was to go with a 175gr round, it would reach out further, however we have a ton of 168gr already Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It's a small difference, unlike 18" vs. 22".

20" out to 600 should not be a problem.
Wanting to go out to 800 I would pick 22".
You may want to take a look at what guys in your area chrono at with those barrel lengths 20/22", with the ammo you intend to use. Then run a ballistic program and see it you are still
supersonic by 800 yards.

20" will do everything you want to do. Past 600 though I'd look at the 175s over the 168s. I have an 18.5" and have gone out to 1050 with it.

+1 on shorter I have a 19" 1-10 broughton that shoots 175s @ 1000 just fine, for 6-800 you will be fine

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I greatly appreciate it. I didn't think that the two added inches would be that big of a difference. I'm just trying to balance maneuverability and other factors along with the ballistic capabilities for the perfect package. I've read all kinds of different stuff and wanted to get the opinion of some vetted shooters. Thanks again all!

If short *is* a driving factor, why not try a DTA SRS? Pretty dagum compact, balances well, and I've had good results with the 22" 308win barrel out to 1000yds. My average score so far is around 275/300 and best consecutive 5rds was under 7" (okay okay, that last bit might not be typical but I'm damn proud!).

If you're set on a more typical rifle, I doubt you'll notice much of a difference between 20 and 22"

Find a gun you want, move to that state, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 is fine, being that you are in B-More you can take a ride up to Continental Arms and handle a few custom 308's in 20-24" they have one I was looking at that shot in the 0's with 168 FGMM

20" vs 22" = 6 vs half dozen

For me anyway. Example, I have taken my 20" .308 to 1260 in good conditions. Can't do much more with that cartridge

Heck, you can push a 16" barrel to 600 yards, if you want a barrel that short, or a gun that light.

But once you get used to 600 yards, do you think you will ever want to push the gun to 1000? 1200? 1300?

These are the differences that longer barrel length brings to the party (and quieter blast report).
1000 can be done with 20" barrel, properly loaded.
1200 can be done with 24" barrel, properly loaded.
1300 can be done with 24" barrel, properly loaded with some altitude help.