• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2000 Yard Match Interest Fallon Area

Lynn Jr

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Shooters is there any interest in a 2000 yard+ match outside of Reno,Nevada by Fallon in June?
I am going scouting next Sunday weather permitting.

Definitely. I'm potentially able to bring a group of 4 or 5 with me... but we need to know soon for scheduling purposes...

Shooters is there any interest in a 2000 yard+ match outside of Reno,Nevada by Fallon in June?
I am going scouting next Sunday weather permitting.

Lynn this is what I posted in your Calguns post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Are there any shooters interested in a 2000 yard match near Fallon in June?
For those not familiar Fallon is east of Reno and a bit south it has rooms and a decent Basque restaurant plus Reno is nearby for gambling and all the other amenities.
Let me know.
As you know, over many years I've spent a lot of time shooting ELR as well as scouting areas up there, mainly because I had buddies stationed at NAS Fallon. FWIW BLM up there is a bit less defined in that particular area. A lot of the prime flat areas, North of Fallon, thru Fernley and up to the Res around Pyramid, are 1 square mile checker patterns of private then public. You need your GPS and grids if you do get questioned(unlikely - unless one of the geo-thermal guys report you) because you have a group of trucks and draw too much attention or mistakenly end up too close to/on DOD or RES.

Just something to consider:

Fallon is a good 1hr+ from Reno; plus expect to drive out to and onto the dirt, for another 45min+. In my opinion, way to far to go into Reno for Dinner and Gambling and then back to Fallon after spending all day in the desert when you are staying in Fallon.

Carson City is closer to Fallon by 30 minutes, not much there compared to Reno

Fernley is 20min East on US80 from Sparks/Reno and about the same 45min to ELR Areas; Plus it is 30 minutes closer for anyone cutting through Sac. Comfort Inn is just off US80 and not expensive. Fernley has food, not nearly as many choices the other two but it is a least feasible to go into Sparks or Reno for a late Dinner. It also has better ELR access for cars than just about anywhere South of Fallon.

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Reactions: gnochi
Yes, what weekend in June are you thinking? It would be great if you can find a place that is not on a white dust playa.

If I can get a decent location it will be the 3rd or 4th Sunday in June.

Obviously I will not be shooting with you, but this might be helpful.

While I have 20 or so places tucked away a lot of the good areas might still be soft in spots. Unless everyone has super capable 4WD, your best bet is N39 43.050 W118 55.144. This place holds up in the snow and thunderstorms, even if you have to skirt the sink and move the target stand a hair onto the shoulder. A Subaru can easily make the way in.

That's between Fernley and Fallon. But the easiest access via "car" is off 80 east of Fernley not Fallon. Exit 80 @ 39°47'14.42"N 119° 1'23.15"Wor look up directions to (EP Minerals - Fernley Plant I-80 East, Exit 65,, Fernley, NV 89408) Take the exit to the frontage road and turn right or west on the dirt road. Look for the first a well maintained (by EP Minerals) that heads left (south) up and over the Large Thermal Pipes Follow that road towards Fallon.. they will be loot of expansive land but stay on they dirt road for 20 minutes or so until you crest a hill and see a white alkaline sink.

Choose an FFP along the hills or base of them so you can see over the dead space.

If you try to access via the Fallon side N39 33.854 W119 03.111 (off 50 just opposite Hart Road) you find the dirt road fast and other shooting opportunities, but as you turn North off that access, to get to the better sink there's a sand section that will mess people up without good 4WD.. Also note that the dirt roads off 95 and 50 like the one starting at N39 33.854 W119 03.111 are county maintained. You can NOT shoot across those dirt roads. If they are maintained the county is calling the "roads" even though they are dirt.

There is lots of stuff further south on Fallon or East of this spot. But this is one of the easiest and as mentioned holds up to the weather.

You'll be coming from where the white arrow is pointing - Short range shooting can be done from parts of this road. Once you crest the road and can see the sink, the road up the hill 4WD or Hiking only is the 3K plus stuff. Keep going looking left just after passing the road on the ridge at the ridges base for the road that circles the canyon.

sm-VIEW-FROM-TRAGET-TO-NORMAL-CLOSE-RANGE-MOVING-FFPS.png

You need to hike or 4WD if you want 3K plus. Plenty of 2K + but for some you need to drive up on the shoulder of the hill
sm-Vie-from-Target-to-ELR-FFPs.png

FFP area - lots of choices - But you should shoot using the hill as the backstop. The dirt road connection the Eastern part and other way in runs in a depression behind the sink maybe another mile back

The back stop is a lot taller than it looks.. Note that if you have guys without good dope you should move the stand closer to the hill so they don't run short and bounce of the hard sink. Misses are really easy to track.

Here is what I mean about good frag signature on the shoulder of the sink. That to me is key in a good ELR target sight. Again, moving it higher might be good if with multiple guys.

You could also enlist the help of @47guy if you haven't already. He "IS" a standup guy and I would shoot with him any day.

Even if you go Scout this place there are many other spots off 80, 50 and 95 in this same Carson Sink Area.. Heading South towards Fallon is a bit more complicated and higher use areas.

Last edited: