• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2000 yards 7mm rem mag vs 300wm

Re: 2000 yards 7mm rem mag vs 300wm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MissLou Mudcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've shot a 7mag toa mile with no keyholes, 168 vlds, out of a 23 inch barrel, but not to 2000. seems like a long way. I'd stick with 7's but step up to wsm to get more velocity. </div></div>

What was your muzzle velocity?

Sorry xlr, it is a 12-42nxs and it ranges at 22x. ( my buddy is a liitle absent minded when it comes to details!)

At 1760 yards,How many moa would you calc 3mil holdover at 12 power ? I got 32.4 moa holdover, that plus 40 moa in scope adjustment.

Does 72.4 total drop at 1760 sound right?

No problem Sandbogg, I thought it was and I have made the mistake of giving the R a value of 20 before by mistake. So, with a ranging power of 22, 3 mils at 12x would equal 5.727 mils of actual distance or 20.62 moa. That plus your 40 already used is 60.62 moa of adjustment to get to 1760.

Holly crap.. Wait.. You guys mean / are actually saying that I can actually think about shooting 2k with my 300 win mag? (Given the load is correct)

IMG_7455-3.jpg

I thought 1,500 was the <span style="font-weight: bold">max</span> / had any hope of hitting? Are you sure??

This is where we go to 1k+ maybe I don't know how in hell I’ll do but if there’s room.. actually we’ve got some more mountains behind too.. Hahaha

the-spot-1.jpg

Thank you all soo much for the new goal...I mean / don't get wrong I’m noooo where ready to shoot that far, but it is nice to know the rifle can. Or can it?? I still dont think so.

Personally I always thought, had the impression it would take a 338 Lapua to get 2k yards. For something that will go there all day long IMO would be one of these:
.416 Barrett
.375 CT
.408 CT
And of course the .50 BMG..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holly crap.. Wait.. You guys mean / are actually saying that I can actually think about shooting 2k with my 300 win mag? (Given the load is correct)

I thought 1,500 was the <span style="font-weight: bold">max</span> / had any hope of hitting? Are you sure?? </div></div>

I've only shot over 2K once, but the results were encouraging enough that I will continue to do so and push even further. It is my intention to work out to 2.5K. That's probably about the furthest practical distance with the 300.

You'll never know for sure until you try. I shoot these distances to learn something for myself and cut ground for others. If I listened to what other people told me I couldn't do, I wouldn't have done a third of the things I've accomplished in my life. I've also found that shooting at extreme distances makes shooting the shorter distances that much easier.

Are you close to sea level? The higher your elevation, the better your chances. I shoot at 3500-4000' ASL (25.5-26.5 In/Hg)

There are several other people on this forum that shoot at 2K with 30 cal or less also, so yes, it is theoretically possible to hit steel (or a rock) at that range.

When you do, give us a range report.

John

ETA: If you're questioning the ability of the 300WM to get to 2K, keep in mind that MontanaMarine is getting hits with his <span style="font-weight: bold">.308</span> at 1 mile. Food for thought.

John.. Thank you so much the words of encouragement..
This is why I really, really enjoy coming here.. I learn sooo much from you guys..

I was truly under the impression that I couldn’t go a mile with my setup.. Needless to say I was more than a little bummed at the time..

So I’m feeling much better about things now.. Haaa.

Thank you Sir..

Shaun.