• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2011 Diesel 3/4 ton purchase.

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Thought I would toss this out as I recall reading that several on here run diesel pickups.

I have to purchase a 3/4 ton diesel pickup (crew cab) in the next week or two and have drove each, but I would like some real world advise.

Test drove the following:
    2011 Dodge SL ,2500, 800ft lb, auto. Going to check out the Laramie or SLT.

2011 Chevy Z71 2500HD, Duramax, auto.

2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.7, auto.

Bells and whistle winner is the Ford, in cab storage is awesome.

Smooth driving goes to the Chevy on pavement.

The Dodge w/o the DEF is a bonus.

I am leaning Dodge as I think it is a better platform all the way around. I am a Ford man, but have heard that the maintenance on the Ford is killer. (coolant flush every 15,000 miles, etc, etc). I don't think the Chevy front end is quite up to par as the Dodge or Ford.

Anyone have input on the new 6.7l Ford?
    Real world fuel mileage reports on running unloaded? Daily driver?

***80% will be highway, 20% backroads. Hauling +/- 10,000lb trailer 150 to 350mile one way trip.

Thanks,
    Wade

Re: 2011 Diesel 3/4 ton purchase.

I had a 2008 Dodge Mega Cab....it was without doubt the worst truck I have ever owned, and the dealership was the worst dealership I have ever dealt with. The Truck was deadly on the highway while towing....it would go into a death wobble at the slightest bump on the road....I dont know if they have fixed the front end and the transmissions on the new trucks, but with my experience I would not take the gamble.

I took such a kick in the balls on the resale on the dodge, I had to buy a used ford, which has F250 it has been 100% problem free.

My Wife drives a Suburban, if the Chevrolet heavy duty are built like it, I would pass on them too, it is a serious bitch to work on, CHanging the Battery is a huge undertaking and even changing headlights is a PITA. but is has been reliable.

Just my input, and experience....take it for what it is worth

I have a 1 ton mega cab drw with the Cummins. It is a work horse. Rides eel for a truck. Pulls what ever I hook to it. I am rated for 32,500 lbs. On the freeway in loaded 20-21. At 55 empty I can se as high as 23. Loaded with my gooseneck at max I get 13-14 and have no problems. I put a built trans in at 136,*** .it wasn't cheap but I won't have to do it again.

I have had 5 Diesel Ram trucks. Not one of them has ever been in the shop for an engine or transmission problem. The only warranty issues have been minor at best. My current one is a 2010 2500 4X4 with the 6.7. I have put 25,000 miles on it since December. Not one problem at all!

The 6.7 Cummins is a great engine, and will pull anything you hook up to it. Coming from the 5.9 Cummins with no emission crap on the engine I was leary of the new ones with all the EPA junk. After driving it for 25K, I can tell you that it works great and hasnt given me any problems. If you get the Ford or Chevy, prepare to buy Exhaust fluid which is literally dumping money down the exhaust. With the EPA stuff on the Cummins, its isnt a grocery getter. You HAVE to work the engine or do some highway mileage to run it long enough for the soot trap to burn off the soot. If you use the truck as it was intended, you wont have any problems.

I got the F350 6.7. Love it - 28k miles in 6 months. The DEF is no problem, oil changes are longer than before, so it more than equals out. Longer hiway runs makes longer oil changes, smart system, versus every 4k miles before. DEF lasts from 7k miles ( during break in ) to over 10k. Easy to find, plus great performance, with out the hassles of the 2008-2010 engines.

Mileage during the daily drive is around 17 - stop and go to 80 mph. Gets a little better on interstate - use the cruise control, makes a difference.

Wife likes my truck - says it is nicer than her year old Range Rover. I bought the Lariat package, just as nice as the King Ranch, but less $$$. Last two were King Ranch, this truck is nicer.

One cool thing I did not appreciate until after I had it - that SYNC system is the best. Weather radar, traffic, and pretty easy to use.

One thing - get the fifth wheel/gooseneck package on the truck - neat hidden hitch, but expensive to retro fit. Make sure to get the aux electric trailer connection in the bed as well.

What ever you get get it with a auxiliary break.

I've got a 2005 Ford F250 King Ranch, 4x4, Crewcab, 6.0L Diesel w/auto trans. Bought it used in 2005 (like new) with just under 10,000miles on it and saved a bundle (about 20% discount) over buying a new one. I have loved this truck since day one, and I still really love it! Wish it would last forever! I've pulled more than 10,0000lbs of payload, which included a 26ft boat and trailer, from the Midwest to the East coast (across/over the West Virginia mountains) without a care. Got just over 125,000mi on the truck currently. Still getting an honest 18-20MPG as a daily driver for work (I'm meticulous about logging fuel consumption and maintenance), 21-23MPG on the highway, about 12-14mpg heavily loaded. Other than expected maintenance and repairs at expected mileage (new brakes, new front rotors, new upper & lower kinpins, new alternator, new tires, oil/filters/etc) it's been a great truck.

Diesel engines are a little heavy, so the weight does take a toll (expected and typical) on front end components. But, did I mention how much I love this truck!?!? Even the wife loves it! When we were truck shopping, before we bought this one, after we test drove a Ford King Ranch package, she was the one who "insisted" that we buy a Ford with the King Ranch package (so, of course I agreed
    grin.gif
    ) Since we bought it, she insists we always "take the truck" on longer trips for the nice ride quality and feeling of safety and security it provides. It's a good way to ring up those bonus points with your better half
    smile.gif
    !

I was sorry to see Ford discontinue the 6.0L Diesel engine, cannot imagine why the need for 6.7L in a F250 size.

Just my experience and .02 cents...
    cool.gif

You couldn't pry my truck away from me unless I was dead. I'm running a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L CTD, Laramie Quad Cab Short Bed. I have a gooseneck I do pull with it occasionally. I get great mileage even with the short trips it is subjected to. I will see minimum 18mpg once I do get on the highway. I'm at 86,XXX, but I bought it in 09 with 42,XXX on it. I got it for a few grand below blue book and haven't looked back. The is a runner and has had no issues.

My mods have been simple. Installed a Radio/CD/DVD/Nav Unit/+... B&W Turnover hitch. LWS tool box in the back too. just about to install PIAA headlights and just put on some 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. (VERY slight rub on stock rims)

Do be sure to get the bed Line-X'd or similar. if you are going to be towing, probably a Quad Cab Long bed would be best. A Mega-Cab will qualify as a certified DOT sleeper if you're going to be doing long haul type stuff.

It may be overkill, but the new "Longhorn" edition has some primo features.

I am a dodge guy myself my 5.9 has been a good truck. I too have been thinking about getting a new diesel but with all of this EPA crap that they have on these motors makes the choice a little harder.

Dodge-EGR/DPF smallest cab of them all. motor makes lots of power they seem to have gotten their things together with the tranny's too.

Ford-back to a single turbo with dual vain I believe not sure about the EPA stuff other than the secandary fuel that you have to put in it to burn soot off and I think that it is about $8-12gal. And has to be refilled every oil change I believe. The nicest cab gets my vote there

Chevy-Dont have a clue about the EPA on their new trucks but they have always seem to be reliable motor and tranny. Is chevy still running IFS on their HD's not a big fan of that. cab not bad.
    Hard to say which one would win the vote overall lot to consider.

Thanks for the info fellas. Hoping to nail one down in the next week or so. I think the Chevy is out of the picture even though I think the powertrain is pretty much good to go now. If the right SD comes along I may go ahead and pull the trigger, but I think I am still leaning towards a Dodge.

I so hate vehicle shopping. I hate the thought of this also, but a part of me wishes Walmart sold trucks. One price no fuck'n around take it or leave it. Great return policy as a bonus!

Unless your wife is super sensitive theres really no reason to buy the 3/4 vs 1 ton, usually the 1 ton has cheaper insurance and from someone that owns both Ive never been able to discern a difference in ride.

People always say the IFS on the gm's is inferior, but Ive never had one fail, and we have several of them pulling goosenecks quite often.

For a all around truck Gm trucks with a Duramax is tough to beat. I have a new Denali Duramax and it is nice. I will take IFS any day over a straight axle. Most people never over work a IFS.

IFS is not nearly as strong as a solid front you are just not using it to its full potential...

brother had a 3/4 ton had to replace more than one cv joint on his pick up from just riding around the property when hunting and runing it through the brush.

buddy of mine has a 3/4 ton diesel chevy working on the front end on more than one occasion due to cv's and other crap that is giving him problems with it.

in short IFS is not as strong but that is not to say that you are never going to have problems with a solid front either I just havent ran into them yet...

Id be interested to hear what using it to its full potential is. Running a 40k dollar pickup through brush wouldnt fall under that category for me. Right tool for the right job.

Straight axle is a stronger system than a IFS, Handles worse on the road. Most people don't need a straight axle for the minimal amount of off roading they do. I have had ford's and I have replaced a bunch of Ford front end parts I have had more problems with a straight axle than IFS. No truck s perfect find what suits you best and go with it.

Just a quick statement from a Ford diesel technician:
    I have yet to see a 2011 F-250/F-350 for any powertrain problem at all. I put an evaporator core in one, the rest have been oil changes and DEF fill ups. I get worried that there won't be any work but I remember there are still plenty of 6.0's and 6.4's on the road
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gofaster23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a quick statement from a Ford diesel technician:
    I have yet to see a 2011 F-250/F-350 for any powertrain problem at all. I put an evaporator core in one, the rest have been oil changes and DEF fill ups. I get worried that there won't be any work but I remember there are still plenty of 6.0's and 6.4's on the road
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

How long have the 2011's been out on the road and whats the average miles on them .... it is afterall still 2011.

They have been on the road since early/mid 2010. Most privately owned F-250/F-350's with 20,000 to 40,000 miles. Some fleet F-450/F-550's are up to 80,000 miles using engine hours to calculate mileage. If you looked at this time back in 2008 when the 6.4L was less than a year old the entire back lot at my work would have been filled with then needing radiators or with overfull crankcases. This time back in 2003 when the 6.0 was less than a year old would have had a ton of 6.0's on the lot with lack of power/runs rough concerns and FMC had no publications on how to fix them. I'd say the 6.7L launch has been un-eventful and successful.

Guys, the DEF thing is a non issue, everyone of you that has a negative opinion of it, has ZERO experience with, so STFU.

The cost is negligible, oil changes are much longer in between, and the total bill I get for an oil change (including DEF top off) is the same. The fuel mileage is better and the engine is stronger than previous models.

Good Luck OP with your purchase - one other thing to consider is the resale value. You're going to do better with the Ford than the Duramax or the Dodge. I normally trade vehicles every couple years, with 100k++ miles, almost always get more than 50% back on the trade or sale. That covers a lot of miles and makes the cost of driving a one ton truck cheaper.

Also, your tax situation may vary, but one tons are eligible for some tax savings if your accountant is savvy.

2007 Dodge 3500 MegaCab SRW. Plenty of room under the hood to add your vehicle longevity mods (aux fuel and oil filters, etc...). If you don't drive live a fool the stock tranny will work for you. If you chip it, then upgrade your tranny to handle the chip.

Ford Looks the best (to me), chevy probably is the most comfortable, but the dodge has the cummins engine and you buy a diesel for the engine.

I bought a dodge after a diesel mechanic friend told me he had more ford and chevy trucks through his shop than dodge. Not a scientific poll, but good enough for me.

maintenance is easy for me, AND CHEAP, because the engine compartment isn't stuffed with a v-8, its an I-6, so I can easily change my own oil and fuel filters. I buy baldwin 7 Micron absolute fuel filters for about 11 bucks, and donaldson ELF (extended life) oil filters for about 17. Mobile Delvac super 1300 is 12 a gallon at wally world and I need 3 gallons. Injectors can be damaged by 4 micron size particles in fuel so I run an aux fuel filter system using a CAT 2 micron absolute filter.

(Quote)IFS is not nearly as strong as a solid front you are just not using it to its full potential...(Quote)

You guys are thinking old technology. The IFS is far superior to the straight axle except the new Ford front dif. I have built both as pulling truck with well over 1000 HP to the rear wheels...not at the crank. I have never broken the IFS but I have shatered several of the straight axles. The only issue GM had was the 2001-2005 trucks with weak inner tie rods, it was addressed in 2006. As far as the rear goes...The AAM in the GM is the STRONGEST which is why Dodge switch to it for their trucks. The new Ford engine is impressive and the truck is built well. There is no way a Dodge would even be considered with the 6.7 engine for me. On another note...have a fuel system problem on a Dodge right now and they will do everything they can to blame it on the fuel or the customer not changing filters at the right time or using aftermarket filters. When I was in the field, the dealers would fight tooth and nail to not have to warranty anything because they get paid less.

As far as DEF...it just adds expense to the truck but it has no bearing on performance.

All of the manufacturers right now have their issues but the Ford and Chevy are far better trucks right now.

To meet emmission..all the diesel engines have to run at higher cylinder temps to get complete combustion and for Nox. The Diesels built today are not the same as they were in the past. In some cities, the air going into the engine has more PPM that the air coming out.

I have 2 new Duramax Crew cabs and a new F250. The F250 is impressive but doesn't have the track record yet. I went and looked at some F250/350 fleet trucks with over 80,000 miles on them to see how they were doing. They have had 0 issues with them so it appears they are going to hold up.

I would bye a Ford just to not give the other 2 a dime since they took the bail out!!lol But that's just me.

DURAMAX!!!!!!!!! If you are towing a heavy trailer go with a 1 ton dual, better chances for minimal damage if you have a tire blow. Seen rolled trucks and trailers because of a heavy trailer on a single rear wheel setup. Not saying its going to happen but your better off if it does. I have yet to see a duramax fail... Unless people are using the programmers to change the output to 800-1000 lb/ft of torque. seen drive shafts twisted like a pretzel. The Allison is pretty much bullet proof, have yet to see one fail or hear of one fail.

You get what you pay for like anything in life.

I sell Chevys for a living 10 years deep now. The Duramax/Allison is the strongest most capable truck on the road 2011/2012. 2010 DEF came into play. Not a big deal, get it topped off with oil changes.

Diesel exhaust brake came into play in 2010 as well, saves brake life. Auto grade braking, hill start assist are also now standard. The chasis is uniforged now and 13x stronger than years before.

Towing Capabilities - Duramax - Ball Towing is always 13,000
    2500 Crew Long Bed 4x4 - 5th wheel/goose = 15,600
    2500 Crew Short Bed 4x4 - 5th = 16,700
    3500 Crew Long Bed 4x4 SRW - 5th = 16,800
    3500 Crew Long Bed 4x4 DRW - 5th = 19,400
    3500 Crew Short Bed 4x4 SRW Only - 5th = 17,000
    3500 Reg Cab 4x4 DRW - 5th = 20,000

We have guys with 400,000 miles and up that come in. Proper maintenance will make the engine last forever literally.

Watch these 7 videos and let me know what truck you think you should buy. Notice the dodge isn't even in the comparison... not on the same playing field. But it will be your cheapest truck. You get what you pay for.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hd-to-hd-truck-comparison/