• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

school me on the big 3 diesel trucks......

Re: school me on the big 3 diesel trucks......

I love my '05 Dodge Cummins. I had Fords for years, but once I looked to replace my 7.3, the Cummins was the only one left that I'd own.(Diesel Mechanic for 22 yrs.) They all have their issues, but there is no aluminum engine that will hold up to the cyl. pressures, & heat in a diesel. As for the trans, the 48RE is good for stock power for the most part. I'm running @ 500 RWHP with my mods, & have a built trans in my truck. I'd love to have a couple extra gears, but so far I've never seen a 6 sp auto from anyone that will hold that kind of power. I've also never really needed another gear either. Low end torque in the 6cyl. will trump another gear. Also, if you are planning to do most of your own maintenance, you'll definitely want the Cummins. Just take a look @ the V-8's & try to get to anything under the hood.

that may be true many years ago....if they were so good why are all detroits now I-6?

amen bigwheels u cant even fit a fist under their hoods.....

The duramax's are not that difficult at all the new Fords are F'd up.

Moto to appease your absolute belief that only Cummins knows how to build a superior diesel and that an inline is the only way to go.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0612dp_new_cummins_v6_and_v8/index.html

In fairness I suspect that program has been put on hold do to the current economic situations.But its pretty clear where they were heading.

I didn't say cummins was the only one. Just said of the 3 they have the longest proven history. Also we knew v6 and maybe a small 8 were maybe coming to LIGHT trucks. I.e. 1500's... Read the article.. Nothing about 2500's... I'm not 100% against v8 I just prefer i6.. Naturally balanced, less moving parts etc etc the list goes on. The v6 or 8 would most likely be a good fit or the 1500 since the torque curve of an inline is not really needed in thy application. The main reason for the v8 is Americans obssesion that v8= horsepower. JMO

However most people when they think of diesel think of smoke and dirty and nasty and that's a shame because there are some real milage and efficiency improvements over gasoline engines... Look at Europe for example, alot
more diesels on the road. I'm not a cummins all end all
guy just like diesels all together and the fact there are so many choices make it a fun market most definitely

I'm with motochamp. Cummins isn't the greatest engine on the planet,(close to it) but of the big three it's the only one to have been built as a med duty truck engine. They have the most low end torque, which is what gets the load moving down the road, & they have good top end power too. For pure top end horse power the duramax is hard to beat, but hook up a chevy, & a dodge to a 15K# trailer, & see which one accelerates faster. I've yet to see the V-8 that could pass me on a grade loaded up. Even though they might out top end me in total HP. My 1000 ft/lbs of torque @ 2200 rpm is where the work hits the road.
I also don't like the suspension on the chevy. Way too many parts to wear out. The perfect truck would be a F350 with a Cummins C-Series under the hood, and a Road Ranger twin countershaft gear behind it, with a split diff. But thats just a dream of mine.

Ya I must admit after allot of reading on competitiondiesel.com I am leaning toward the Cummins and an ATS trans.

Haha you have been warned... Once you start modding.. It turns into an addiction haha... You find out once you put this part on it exposes another weak link so you upgrade and upgrade haha it sure gets addicting! but sure is fun too!

You got that right. I started with a little exh mod, & an intake mod, & a 100 hp chip. Then it turned into a billet trans, & a 200 hp chip, & a turbo. It goes on, & on. But there's nothing like passing a tree hugger in a subaru loaded down with a bunch of REI camping gear on an 8% grade with a stinky diesel truck weighing over 12000#.

haha heck ya...its all part of the diesel poisoning haha once you get it you better start working overtime

I have had Ford and Dodge, now I have a 6.7 Cummins and I love it, the 6.7 is basically the same block as the 5.9 with larger bore and longer stroke. For towing it's hard to beat 350 hp and 650 lb/ft of torque from the factory, Ford can't seem to settle on one engine long enough to get all the kinks out, Ford and Chevy are light-medium engines, the Cummins is rated medium/heavy. In fact Cummins wanted Dodge to warranty the Cummins for 300,000 miles.

I have had Ford and Chevy. I now have a 2004 crewcab chevy, I love it. 132k and Im getting 23.2 mpg on Interstate with a few mods to the truck. This thing has all the power you will ever need.

I have a 07 mega cab 2500 cummins and have had no problems with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXHoPXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

'07 Cummy Fox racing suspension, American racing ATX wrapped in 37x13.50 Toyo open countrys

167tfkm.jpg

2ykkv3n.jpg
</div></div>

I've never been in a Ford or Chevy diesel so I have no input on them. I know the cummins is the strongest motor and ford has the strongest tranny and the duramax is the fastest stock. I honestly think its all about opinion Now n days casue you can make em all fast.

If you wanna go all out... Go for the Ford F650 with CAT and Allison
laugh.gif

I've got an '06 Dodge/Cummins and have been very happy with it. Only about 43k miles on it still, but soon after buying it my driving pattern changed from driving 30 miles to work to driving 5 miles to work. I've towed as much as 12k pounds behind it and was able to put it on cruise control, 75 mph and it would be in OD going up hills. But I don't tow that heavy often, mostly just a 17' boat.

As far as the tranny goes with a deisel, I'd stick with the auto. My theory is that you are going to break more shit when you hook up these kind of torque numbers (stock deisel numbers) to a transmission that doesn't have much "give" to it.....The old riddle of "What happens when an immovable object meets an irresistable force?" comes to mind. I know that when I bought my truck, you could either get an auto with 325hp/610tq or row your own with 305hp/?tq, gotta be something to it I'd think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hipshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, buy the Ford. While you're cussing about all of the problems with the truck awn the lack of warranty backup, you can hold your head up with pride that you bought a truck that wasn't bailed out..............</div></div>

I'm guessing you think the gov will do such a great job backing the warranty of those bailed out pieces of shit. Theres a reason they needed bailed out, but if it makes you feel better to have a chevy then you'd better hope they do a better job with warranties than healthcare. Look at the local VA office

The reason they will increase the hp in an auto is the fact that there is slippage in the drive train. However, the manual is a stronger geartrain. The auto has a LOT more parts to fail, & all the clutchpacks in them are a lot smaller than the clutch in a manual, which can lead to slipping, which will lead to failure. If you want to haul heavy all the time with any of the big 3 diesels, you will want a manual, or you will need to get the auto built. A built auto will hold up against the manual, but costs a lot of money. I know. I spent about $4000.00 on mine. Have over 60K miles with 500 RWHP, & 1000 #/ft of torque. Great for getting a heavy load moving on a steep hill.

Up until I got my current truck I had never owned a vehicle that had an automatic tranny. I like the control that a manual gives and it's natural to shift without even thinking about it after rowing gears for so long, but I like the auto for its convenience. First 20k miles I put on it my left foot kept reaching for the clutch when I put the keys in the ignition or rolling up to a stop light. I just paid the thing off last month, so now I'm looking to maybe do a little work to it. I've never felt that it lacked power, always takes what I throw at it with a smile and asks for more. But, I wouldn't mind having some work done on the tranny to strengthen the weak points and have it "hook up" better. What kinda mods would you suggest? I still haven't warmed up to the felt slippage that an auto tranny has, that delayed reaction. In all the manuals I've had, I could actually feel the engine pulling through the gear after I took my foot off the clutch....not so with the slush box.

Am I crazy for wanting my perfectly functioning, never had a problem out of it transmission to bomb so that I can justify having it built, especially behind a stock motor?

For what you describe, a torque converter, & valve body upgrade would be all you need. Unless, you're like me, & once you feel how much more power you actually have, you'll want more, & more. It's addicting. I have finally decided to stop @ 500 hp. When it rains,(which it does a lot here) it is very hard to control traction. I have had my tires break loose @ over 60 mph if I get on it too hard. I've gotten used to it now tho.

i had a 90 ford f-250 4x4 with a 7.3 with a aftermarket turbo, it was a beast that needed a lil tlc so i gave it that beat the piss out of it in the mean time a few things went wrong with it but i sold due to high fuel prices out here in the midwest and im not really a ford guy but i still wish i had that truck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigwheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what you describe, a torque converter, & valve body upgrade would be all you need. Unless, you're like me, & once you feel how much more power you actually have, you'll want more, & more. It's addicting. I have finally decided to stop @ 500 hp. When it rains,(which it does a lot here) it is very hard to control traction. I have had my tires break loose @ over 60 mph if I get on it too hard. I've gotten used to it now tho.</div></div>

I'll look into the torque converter and valve body. It probably won't be anytime soon that I do something to the tranny since, like I mentioned, there isn't anything wrong with it right now. My first money I'm going to put into it is probably going to be a leveling kit and it needs some tires within the next 10k or so miles, brake pads will need replacing about the same time.

I've heard talk of having the input, through?, and output shafts replaced with something more robust....Would that be worth doing while the transmission is out if I go ahead with a tq converter? I vaguely remember the names ATS and Dave Goerend or Goerend brothers...something to that affect when it comes to Dodge transmissions when I read on turbo deisel registery, any suggestion on who would be a good place to do it?

Crap, when I clicked on this thread I was thinking Pete, Kenworth, Mack...........

I currently own a Bully Dog equipped Cummins/Dodge dually 4X4 and wouldn't go back. I've owned a Ford and have driven a Chevy and all have their strengths and weaknesses but at the end of the day the heart and soul of the beast is the engine...

241-cumminsrod1.jpg

I use my truck for business and as such don't have time to change the oil every 5 minutes. I change it every 10K miles and there isn't the slightest hint of fuzz on the mag plug. Its a very dirt-tolerant industrial powerplant.

I think the Chevy engine is overrated and is a pleasure to drive solely due to the fact that it's mated to a simply phenominal transmission.

If I had my way I'd own a Ford chassis under Dodge or Ford bodywork with Dodge interior, with a Cummins engine mated to a Allison tranny.

Since I can't have that, I'm willing to compromise to own a Cummins. The low end grunt has to be felt with a load to be believed. Mine has a Bully Dog programmer, 4-inch cat-less MBRP exhaust, and some intake work. I have to run it on the lowest power setting since it feels as if it would twist the driveshaft like a bread tie and make very expensive crunching noises. Simply unbelieveable torque.

You have to compromise with any of the 3 trucks.

With the Dodge you get a bad ass engine that will pull down a house at the cost or a cheap truck wrapped around it.

With the Ford you get a gorgeous truck with great comfort but a crappy engine.

With the Duramax you get mediocre all around.

Out of the three I own a Cummins. My Dad owns a Cummins (with 300,000 miles and minimal maintenance). My best friends own Cumminss. Every one I know who hot shots our uses their trucks for work, owns Cumminss. Only know one person with a Powerstroke and it a friends mom who goes to town and back with it, they use their Cummins to pull their RV. I only know one person with a Duramax and he has put more money into it that I can name and it still slow and cant pull shit. It smokes though, so he's happy. :rolleyes:

Ideally Id have a Ford body with a Cummins ISB 325, and a Goerend built 68RE tranny.

I got my trany from Goerend Bro's. They are good people to deal with.
My dodge Cummins is tuned up with a Smarty with TNT software set on KILL all the time.
I have an AFE Stage II with PG7 filter, 5" turbo back exh. with a 51" Donaldson muffler.
Goerend trans with laminated flex plate, & billet input. Along with their Triple disc torque converter.
I added a 95gph fuel pump, a full set of gauges, & a HTT 62/65/13ss turbo.
This truck is a BEAST. I've had Fords all my life, & most of my friends had Chevy's. Once I drove the dodge, I was hooked. I'll never have another truck now. But a F450 with a Cummins, & built 68RE would tempt me.
I was also a marine engine tech for 22 yrs, & saw a TON of Cummins engines in boats. They run the same B5.9 up to 480hp now. And I talked to the engineer who did some of the testing on it, & he said they didn't have to stop there, they just didn't want the B5.9 to overshadow their C-Series 8.3 engines.
The pics of the pistons, & con rods just doesn't do the Cummins justice. If you hold them in your hand, you'll see, & feel the difference in size, & weight. You have to build a Cummins to about 900hp before you need to worry about breaking anything in the bottom end. I've seen powerstrokes @ only 450hp bend con rods. And duramax's @ about 600hp can do the same.
Like I said before. If you want to just go fast, buy a duramax. But if you want to pull heavy for a long, long time buy a cummins.(my truck can do 13.5 in the 1/4 mile too)

I'd suggest you expand your search to include Peterbilt. Think of it as the .50 BMG option with all the Nightforce trimmings.

Some people are definitely brand loyal on this site. I have owned all 3

Dodge has the best motor but a bad transmission, Maybe not the new one I have heard good things about it. The truck rides rough and the interior is horrible.

Ford looks's nice has a good interior. 7.3 is a good motor rest leave alot to be desired. My trucks ate ball joints. Bad trans.

I own Duramax's now. I have had no motor problems in 2 trucks with 200,000 miles. Rides great. Trans works great, But if you add 80 hp you must do a aftermarket trans.

So far I am happy with the Duramax. I have a suncoast trans because I am right at 600 hp. Also the comment earlier about the durumax would smoke and wasn't fast or pull a trailer BULLSHIT. Unless its poorly tuned.

Also if you go Dodge Go with a suncoast or a Goerend. Ats is good put the purple paint is really high. If you want big power go to the local truck pull and see whats in the top of 2.6 and 3.0 class Duramax will have more in the top of the class then the rest of the big 3.

I have had 4 fords, all 1 ton's with duals and used for towing. The last one, a 2005 with the POS 6.0 did me in, After 9 months, 22k miles ford had replace the entire rear suspension, 2 computers, a turbo & half the transmison i gave up and traded it for an 05 cummins. Ford di cover everything but down time was bad, and when I blew the turbo climbing a grade with a load of horses it was ascary deal. Anyway Now 140,000 miles later the cummins still is one strong truck. my tow loads run about 16K, which is on the upper end.

I have a 02 2500 that keeps going and going. the only problems i had were a fuel pump go out, front ball joints and some minor electrical problems. i have 155k miles I pulled a 27 ft RV all over the midwest to East of the US. Cummings is a good engine. I will run this truck till it will not go any further. better than the new ones with the new emissions standards.

Kirk

BTW, what are your guys thoughts on the 05 Diesel Excursion, it's the 6.0L power-stroke I believe?

Thinking about buying one.

6.0 is junk and has been from the day it rolled off the line.

The old 7.3 was tough and respected.

If Ford still had a 7.3 Powerstroke, I'd be driving a Ford.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow... that bad? </div></div>

Yep. Get a Cummins.

Talked to a Ford mechanic who know owns an independent shop, and he said the 6.0 power stroke has an un-fair bad rap because of people incorrectly modding it.

The main problems are the inter-cooler and head-bolts. If those things are modified with the new air/fuel, and the fuel is correctly atomized and all burned off, they are very reliable.

You cant just put cold-air and a chip in one, and that's what allot of people did.

This is just what he told me, so I'm only relaying the intel.

There shouldn't be any need to upgrade an intercooler (that's what monitoring EGTs is for).

By the time you get to fire ringing a head and installing an aftermarket set of head bolts in a Cummins, you're going to be at basically unstreetable power anyway (which could be really fun).

If the engine needs upgrades to these basic things to handle simple mods, I'd say it's too weak to begin with anyway. These trucks are made to pull 15,000 lbs day in and day out for their entire life. Modding and driving an empty truck is nothing compared to the beating for which they are designed.

I agree.
I'm a turbo Buick owner and have seen the abuse these things can take, even w/the stock heads.
I've seen them turn 11sec 1/4 miles with the stock turbo, cooler, block/heads intake.. only changing the chip, injectors, FP regulator, valve springs, fuel pump, boost control, and methanol injection... sounds like allot, but if you do a stealth cold-air intake you can hardly tell it's modified and it still gets 28mpg on the highway.
I love turbos!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ford has not take a dime of Gov money.</div></div>

Only because they arranged massive loans just before everything went south.

IMO the Cummins is the best of the three, but I've heard it said, "You buy the engine, you get the truck for free."

Too bad you can't get a F350 with a Cummins. </div></div>

Add the allison to that F350 with a Cummins and you will have the BEST OF THE BEST.. A good site I use is www.oilburners.net has all makes if it burns oil they talk about it little to big non comm to earth moving. I am partial to fords I've got a 96 7.3PSD F350 CC 4X4 with 354,000 and some change plow snow with it and a lot of freeway miles did vegy oil and some other light mods other than wear and tear part I have had to replace TC twice on the trans it been a good truck, My other is a 7.3PSD 00 Excursion Limited with 113,000 on odom and I can say it isn't quite broken in yet
grin.gif
. They all have there ups and downs some do work better than others some ride better than other. IF its got TITS or TIRES it gonna give ya problems
whistle.gif

1. They are big.

2. There are three of them.

3. They employ diesel powerplants...

I do hope this has been instructive...

I dispute the point that an "Allison" makes for the "best of the best."

I refuse to drive an automatic, and having driven a Diesel truck for over 5 years, I think it's ridiculous that anyone suggest that an automatic is superior to a manual. It's not. There are applications (racing) where they work great, but when it comes to what these trucks are designed for, an automatic is substandard at the very least.

An Alison would make it the "best" of the "second best" option of using an automatic transmission, in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dispute the point that an "Allison" makes for the "best of the best."

I refuse to drive an automatic, and having driven a Diesel truck for over 5 years, I think it's ridiculous that anyone suggest that an automatic is superior to a manual. It's not. There are applications (racing) where they work great, but when it comes to what these trucks are designed for, an automatic is substandard at the very least.

An Alison would make it the "best" of the "second best" option of using an automatic transmission, in my opinion. </div></div>

Tru-dat

I once twisted a driveshaft like a bread tie and didn't hurt the manual tranny. I wouldn't attempt the same with an auto.

My Duramax has been yanking our 33' Toy Hauler around since 2006 without a single issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dispute the point that an "Allison" makes for the "best of the best."

An Alison would make it the "best" of the "second best" option of using an automatic transmission, in my opinion. </div></div>

Okay I will give you that I do miss my old crusher in my truck,but with the plowing that I do I am really hung on an auto tranny cause I kinda like having both my calf's the same size
wink.gif
now as I said before to each there own and if I was hauling more now instead of pushing I would go back to a manual tranny!

Does anyone know anything about the ford 08-10 6.4 powerstroke? I have been looking around I like the interiors of the king ranch fords, I can afford an 08 possibly an 09 with that engine. Thanks