• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2011 Steel Safari Match Announcement

Re: 2011 Steel Safari Match Annuncement

fwiw, i sent my app 'express' from a post office in TN and got in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and then there are some that are at current matches...out of state.....family commitments and .....well i'm not currently responsible for the up comming flame job....</div></div>
The date the application was to be posted was known ahead of time for at least a month. That's enough time to arrange for someone else to mail in your registration, if you knew you'd be off-grid on Monday. Sorry, that one doesn't work either.

To be fair, we can't give "do overs" to people who have things come up. The best we can do to be fair is to give everyone the same information and opportunity. We have a limited number of slots and that's a well-known fact. Like Chuck said, "Task, conditions, and results desired."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw, i sent my app 'express' from a post office in TN and got in.

</div></div>

yeah like i'm believing somebody that can't fucking complete a fucking profile.....dude seriously step away......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fwiw, i sent my app 'express' from a post office in TN and got in.
</div></div>
yeah like i'm believing somebody that can't fucking complete a fucking profile.....dude seriously step away...... </div></div>
I know taliv personally. Met him several years ago at NRAWC. He lives in TN.

Ok enough is enough. Everyone knows both sides of the argument for online registration so let it be everyone. Bottom line is it's Zak's match to run as he wishes. Arguing on the internet won't change anything.

k........so................sorta proves what ?

maybe we should think about pitching a hissy fit with the postal service.....

you guys have not floated a really believable reason as to why an online registration would have offered less heartburn.....

once again its your match ...your rules....your deal.....

Rob01 just told you to let it go, so let it go.

Anyone who sent an app but didn't get in and has a beef with me or other match staff is free to give me a call to discuss.

To any of those who are upset, frustrated, angry or just want more of this style match:

Why not put a similar match on yourself? Hell, do it better while you're at it. If it is as popular a format as it sounds, you could probably break even or walk away with a few bucks.

Countless examples of very successful copycat sporting events exist in all manner of sport. Make it happen.

-Mike

I'm looking forward to getting in on this match next year.

I snoozed.

I lost.

Thanks for putting it on, Gentlemen. See ya next year.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ManbIKE26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To any of those who are upset, frustrated, angry or just want more of this style match:

Why not put a similar match on yourself? Hell, do it better while you're at it. If it is as popular a format as it sounds, you could probably break even or walk away with a few bucks.

Countless examples of very successful copycat sporting events exist in all manner of sport. Make it happen.

-Mike</div></div>

...watch it happen......
DSCN1092.jpg

DSCN1088.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

Well i guess i should have mailed the check 1 week before and that way it would have been on par with the one day mail in CO.
So what the match should be called is the residents of Colorado steel safari located New Mexico. On line sigh up would keep the bitching down and more fare ,yes it would fill up faster but it would be fare. Ya'll can cut my check up and take me off the list. Just sayin

Todd,

We would have loved to have you at our match this year and I'm sorry you didn't make it in. Having talented shooters such as yourself at the match increases the level of competition and is good for everyone.

Even last year, the match sold out on Thursday. Given that, expecting Thursday or Friday delivery to work <span style="font-style: italic">this year</span> was just wishful thinking, nothing more.

The winning tactic to get in this year was to ensure next-day delivery - regardless of your location. People who realized that got in, and people who didn't, didn't. Given that <span style="font-style: italic">the match sold out in three days last year</span> and there was more interest this year, overnighting one's app clearly gave the best chance of getting a slot. Yes, even people in the Denver metro area used services like FedEx, Express Mail, and USPS Express to ensure next-day delivery.

I really can't put it any more plainly than this: everyone had the same information, and everyone had the same opportunity to overnight their application. From 2008 through 2011, we've had the exact same process for registration. It is published here and on the SS web site ahead of time, and nobody who cares about getting into the match has any excuse to not know exactly what the process is and how it works. Registration was fair to everyone in 2008-2010, and it was fair to everyone for 2011.

The only thing that changed was that the demand was higher and we reached our cap sooner. That sucks because it means more people who wanted to shoot couldn't get a slot, but it's simply untrue to claim it wasn't a fair process. If the only thing that changed was the level of demand, then by definition, that is the source of people being upset, not the 4th iteration of a fair signup process.

The two people who have complained about registration being unfair are: 1 from someone who didn't even send in an application, and 2 from someone whose app arrived on Friday. Friday delivery would have gotten you on the wait list last year also. These criticisms hold no water. By the way, nobody has called my phone to complain.

Boltripper,

I'd love for other people to put on great field matches like the SS - then I could shoot them as a competitor. Go for it!

We didn't start this match, and we only took it over reluctantly when it was going to be canceled after 2007. I think we'd all rather shoot it than have to run it, but we decided the match was "too good to die" and "took one for the team."

The SS isn't a unique match concept. I believe both the SS and the ITRC came from a match concept that preceded them. What the SS has is a great venue and enough staff to make it happen. When resources, venue, and staff come together with a good concept, a great match can result. I would honestly love for there to be more matches like the SS out there so I could go out and compete.

As a general comment, like I said before, we will be changing signup, and possibly other aspects, for future matches. Although we had a clean "cut line" this year for the shooting slots vs. wait list, that won't happen next year when we get 100 overnighted apps on the same day. Our goal is to maintain a fair sign up process, and provide a match that is fair to all competitors-- and if we can figure out how to get more shooters through or provide more SS shooting opportunities, then we will.

We didn't start this match, and we only took it over reluctantly when it was going to be canceled after 2007. I think we'd all rather shoot it than have to run it, but we decided the match was "too good to die" and "took one for the team."

...and for this you and your friends and helpers and many others have my respect and gratitude.....

Zak, do you have a therapist? You're clearly suffering from deeply rooted fear, resentment, and anger to name the more obvious ones. These manifest as arrogance seeking to compensate for feelings of inferiority. We all do this from time to time, especially us shooters, and the more intelligent ones of us recognize it. But your case glows. You want to be viewed as smart but you defeat your efforts by trying too hard, stepping on your tail. There is medication for your behavior (OCPD). Maybe Cognitive Behavioral Therapy like a sandbox and a Tonka dumptruck would help? What a freakn dick!

This was "off-topic" but since when did that matter"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zak, do you have a therapist? You're clearly suffering from deeply rooted fear, resentment, and anger to name the more obvious ones. These manifest as arrogance seeking to compensate for feelings of inferiority. We all do this from time to time, especially us shooters, and the more intelligent ones of us recognize it. But your case glows. You want to be viewed as smart but you defeat your efforts by trying too hard, stepping on your tail. There is medication for your behavior (OCPD). Maybe Cognitive Behavioral Therapy like a sandbox and a Tonka dumptruck would help? What a freakn dick!

This was "off-topic" but since when did that matter" </div></div>
Wow, a personal attack without any hint at criticism of the match whatsoever. Does this mean I have my very own "Internet Haters" now? Sweet!

You know, funny thing. I am pretty sure I've never written a bad check to register for a match and had a match rule added specifically because of my actions. Man, <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> would be pretty embarrassing, wouldn't it?

-z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">personal attack vacation </div></div>

Good show LL.

Hey Zak; I apologize for the part I played in this. I wish you guys at SS much fun and a safe shoot.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zak, do you have a therapist? You're clearly suffering from deeply rooted fear, resentment, and anger to name the more obvious ones. These manifest as arrogance seeking to compensate for feelings of inferiority. We all do this from time to time, especially us shooters, and the more intelligent ones of us recognize it. But your case glows. You want to be viewed as smart but you defeat your efforts by trying too hard, stepping on your tail. There is medication for your behavior (OCPD). Maybe Cognitive Behavioral Therapy like a sandbox and a Tonka dumptruck would help? What a freakn dick!

This was "off-topic" but since when did that matter"</div></div>

Thank you.

Zak,
good luck with the match this year.
One of these days I will mark my calendar to religiously check for registration in early january.

It is obviously a well organized and enjoyable shoot since it sells out within minutes.

Train up looks sweet! Might try to make it if I'm back from Wisconsin in time.

New Mexico is referred to by the locals as the "Wild West". In many ways it still is. Thanks for the heads up Zak.

Staff heading down Sunday and Monday for final setup. See you guys on Friday. From Monday onward, I'll have only limited email access. Cell phone in the evening will be the best way to contact me.

I have gone over my gear again and again. My rifle is doing what I tell it to, my dope is good, I have poured over available intel multiple times, broken in a new pair of boots, and "dry runed" what can be dry runed. There will be additional "full dress rehearsals" at Whittington Center on Wednesday before showing up in Logan Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

One man, one rifle, one shot: Make it happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have poured over available intel </div></div>
What did you pour over the intel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have poured over available intel </div></div>
</div></div>

rotel-original.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have poured over available intel </div></div>
</div></div>

At the risk of stating the painfully obvious: sarcasm.

Dam this match came up fast. Looking forward to the weekend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ManbIKE26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To any of those who are upset, frustrated, angry or just want more of this style match:

-Mike</div></div>

...watch it happen......
DSCN1092.jpg

DSCN1088.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg
</div></div>

A little bird told me this was somones hunting lease and not a new match .

Long Range Side Match completed. Main match starts Saturday.

I shot in all 20 stages on Thursday to test everything and this will be a tough match.

Looks like Ray came away with the win...good shooting Raydog.

Just a quick note to thank everyone involved with the match. Zak, Mike, Mike, our two lovely ladies that ensured we were sent off on time and ensured that we came back with a smile on our face. The Wheelers for allowing the match to take place on there ranch. The competitors for being safe. Just a good time all in all.

Prize table was awesome from all the awesome sponsors. Really impressed with what was on the table. Thats to Thunderbeast, Barrett, Surefire, Leupold, US Optics, Nightforce, Sierra, Lapua. Cant remember everyone but there were many more and thank you to all.

Challenging course with some tough stages. Wind was the real factor as one moment it was at your back but down range its at a full value. I did enjoy the variance of positions that were required on some of the stages. Like to see more.

Congrats to Raydog for pulling out the win. Shane would of liked to of seen a shoot off but thats the way it goes. Great shooting though. Hope to see you fellas more.

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Wow-- it was a long, hot week. I got home very late last night.

This year we had 36 competitors and the match ran smoother than it has in several years. We had an <span style="font-style: italic">excellent</span> bunch of shooters come out for this match.

Everyone had a great attitude and pretty much everyone kept their brain turned on despite the heat, terrain, exhaustion, and heat of the match. The course ran smoothly and we didn't get backed up very much at all. We didn't have to throw any stages out due to target damage or cattle movement, and everyone did a good job as RO. All around everything worked out really well.

The shooting talent that was here was really impressive, and this year we had higher scores than we've ever had at the Steel Safari. Ray won it with a 105. Shane came in second, one down at 104. Brian shot a 99 for 3rd; Steve M a 97 4th; Hoser Freeman 93 5th. The long-range side match was won by George D. with Cody and RJ bringing up 2nd and 3rd. I'll post the full results soon.

I was very pleased to note that co-TBAC-owners Ray and Shane swept 1-2 and of the top 10 shooters, 6 were either TBAC cadre or were shooting our cans. LRSM places 1-3 were also shooting our cans.

I took a bunch of photos and some video. I'll work hard to get that along with a match report online this week.

Thanks to: the Wheeler's for the use of their land; Mike and Michael my asst match directors; C. Ward for his help setting targets; J.Sternberg for the prize table; the sponsors for their great loot; Maggie and Julie for their help with sending out shooters on time and collecting their score sheets; and the several guys with medical training who volunteered to carry radios out on the course in case we had a medical problem.

The match was awesome as always!! Thanks to Zak, Mike, Michael and crew for working so hard and making this happen again. It is always humbling shooting this match, even more so with Ray and Shane shooting record scores. Congrats to them! The prize table was stacked and everyone went away with something. The sponsors really stepped up this year. All in all an awesome and challenging match!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll post the full results soon. </div></div>
</div></div>

Missed that, got ya. Thanks.