• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2011 Survival Trial

Jon Weiler

Private
Minuteman
stpatch2.jpg

The Survival Trial is a recreational shooting event that combines practical and precision shooting on all firearm platforms with outdoor survival obstacles and real world engagements. This is an extremely physical event coupled with highly technical shooting engagements and obstacle negotiation. Covering over 25 miles of mountainous backcountry, the Survival Trial will push all competitors to physical and mental limits. The faint of heart need not apply.

The Survival Trial is held at the beautiful NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. <span style="font-weight: bold">The event begins at 1600hrs, Saturday, September 10, 2011 and concludes at 1600hrs, Sunday, September 11, 2011.</span> Registration is open to <span style="font-weight: bold">individuals at $200 per person or teams who want to compete in tandem at $300 per team.</span> There will also be a train-up day on Friday, September 09, 2011 with close quarter classes on both Pistol and AR Carbine, along with First Aid and Precision Long Range Shooting. It is also highly suggested that the participants follow a prescribed workout regimen that is updated weekly on the Survival Trial Facebook Page.

Registration is now online, so sign up today. The Survival Trial is designed to test limits. You never know what you are capable of until you are put to the test. Will you survive the Trial?

Re: 2011 Survival Trial

Jon,

Are there any sort of technical skills... IE, a proficiency in climbing, or repelling, or anything along those lines, that a competitor must have, in order to complete the course?

What sort of firearms would a shooter need to show up with?

I apologize if these questions are naive.... but to "Joe shooter guy", this sounds pretty cool... any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'm feelng up to the test..any other takers.Wayde..Jim..Karl...Firemarshall..? I think you can count on seeing a few of us there from TVP.

There will be no technical skills required, as far as repelling, climbing, etc... Technical skills are applied in the various shooting engagements and negotiating obstacles throughout the 25-mile course.

A packing list will be emailed upon registering for the event which is minimum for a movement like this. As far as firearms, participants must supply a sidearm chambered in 9mm and a AR Carbine chambered in 5.56mm NATO. We provide the ammunition for the shooting events, along with the precision rifles for the distance engagements.

Registration is now online for both individual and team participants. Thanks again for the interest and please let us know if you have any further questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Weiler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There will be no technical skills required, as far as repelling, climbing, etc... Technical skills are applied in the various shooting engagements and negotiating obstacles throughout the 25-mile course.

A packing list will be emailed upon registering for the event which is minimum for a movement like this. As far as firearms, participants must supply a sidearm chambered in 9mm and a AR Carbine chambered in 5.56mm NATO. We provide the ammunition for the shooting events, along with the precision rifles for the distance engagements.

Registration is now online for both individual and team participants. Thanks again for the interest and please let us know if you have any further questions. </div></div>

Very cool. Looking forward to getting back to Raton. Beautiful country.

So the competition provides ammo for the precision rifles? So, we have to "master" the doping on the first day to engage long range targets? Are we allowed to chrono the ammo, at least for the precision rifles? I am interested, but need more info.

Jon, looking at your website there is a Operator Challenge Aug. 21, 2011 and then a Survival Trial Challenge September 10-11, 2011. Are these two basically the same thing?

Jon, sounded like a great match until I read you are providing the precision rifles.

Change that little detail and you might get more shooters.

My guess is they don't think most people can lug three guns around for 25 miles. Also if it they are somewhat challenging obstacles a few people will invariably drop their 5k+ rigs and get all bent out of shape. So it is easier to have them carry the lighter weapons and provide the heavier ones. Probably the COF is such that the long range is only 1-2 stages. Of course I am completely guessing but it does make sense given their stated format.

If someone is worried about scratching their expensive rifle then maybe they should consider getting into a new sport. They are meant to be used and I wouldn't travel all the way to NM to shoot someone else's gun.

Other than that, sounds fun.

I apologize for the delayed response on this. These are very valid points about using your precision rifle. The intent was to ease movement with three weapon systems, but we should have left that optional to begin with. Competitors can now bring their own precision rifles.

Check out the new Survival Trial Website. We will keep updating this with match info and training recommendations. Registration is still open.

Thanks again for the suggestions and let me know if you have any further questions.

I take it this will be a overnite type shoot,meaning once you start the course you stay on same overnite setting up a hide or observation location at designated points along the trail.All equipment packed in along with food and any supplies needed to complete your objective or stages of fire. Hope I'M READING THIS RIGHT. I,ve hunted in this area and there are not many roads to access this country. Sounds similar to a target interdiction course I
took in the military. Thanks

Do you have anymore details you can provide. It sounds interesting but no offense the lack of information youre providing would keep me from registering. IMO posting the required packing list is a must so that people know if they have what they need to bring or need to go and spend money to get prepped. Also, having a general idea of the course and COF makes a big difference in what is packed and what firearms are brought.
Since youre concerned about people carrying their own precision rifles and ammo, maybe you could truck the rifles people bring to the shooting locations. That way its the best of both, they get to use their own rifle/ammo but dont have to ruck 3 firearms + ammo.

Sounds fun but more info would be appreciated.

What is the max range/min target size?

Approximate round count?

What is the difference between team vs individual participation?

Can we carry our own ammo?

Packing list?

Myself and a buddy are interested, but the site needs some serious help.

If this is a Survival Challenge and you insist on using your own PR rather than a 'battlefield pickup", then you should have to hump the bitch the entire course of fire.

But thats just me...

Also, since the Competition Directors are dictating calibers (9mm and 223) a guy would not be allowed to bring an AR10 and just run that for all the stages?

Registration is open through next Friday for the 2011 Survival Trial. The course is now set, along with the engagements and it will be a challenging, but extremely fun time. We hope that those of you who are interest on here decide to come and compete, especially if you live in the area.

Give us a call at 605-610-8598 or email us at info@professionalmarksmen if you have any questions on the course. Thanks again to everyone for your interest.

I am signed up for the comp and looking forward to it with out the ability to plan for every detail. The packing list is very simple and id bet everyone here on the hide has everything already. I understand wanting to see the list first but its a short list. I think the whole point of not knowing details is to test peoples ability to adapt to the situation. If I find myself in a situation where I'm going out the door with a bob and my rifles its probably going to be some serious long term problem requiring more ammo than I can carry. I think being able to adjust after a first round miss using scavenged or "acquired" ammo/firearm and not knowing the velocity or grain is what is being tested here. BTW Jon the owner of PMI was one of very few that completed this years Spartan Death Race. Not the silly afternoon ones. The three day long crawling up to deaths door one. He wont go easy on us. Iv known him for 9 years from our service together in Iraq. He was one of the most squared away soldiers I have ever met. This event wont disappoint.

Just heard Cody and Aaron won this. Great job guys!

Cody is our director of training for the Thunder Beast Training Group. Coming off a 6th place finish at the 2011 Steel Safari, he texted me, <span style="font-style: italic">"As long as the other shooters have to walk 40 miles and stay awake all night, I do all right."</span>

It was a great match. I liked the fact that there was not alot of information given out before (and during) the race. In the end, it was simple. Bring this, go there, shoot that. Repeat. We walked and ran 42.6 miles in 22 hours, hit all 5 shooting stations and the PT event, gained about 10K of elevation, at least that's what google earth tells me when I got back and plotted our route. We both carried too much stuff, as my pack weighed 53lbs without water or food.
I think this was one of the best gut checks that I have ever had. It's been along time since I thought the bottom of my feet were going to fall off. I saw everyone putting out on the course there. We made some bold navigation moves on the front end that set us to tackle the harder terrain while we fresh and the easier stuff when we weren't.
I learned something about myself on the course. My weapon manipulation skills suffer under sleep deprivation. I think an AK with gross motor skills to keep it running will be in effect next time. It was a 100% effort the whole time, constant pressing the objective and forward progress.
I encourage all of you guys on here to do this match next time. Jump into the darkness and step outside of your comfort zone. I treat all of my matches like a training event. Thats what I do, I train for war and I train for war with zombies. Information will be limited in both scenarios.

Congrats on the win. I just found this. Anyone hear if there will be a similar match time and place next year?

Congratulations to Team Ramrod and everyone else who showed up. There were no losers in this event. It clearly illuminated holes in your skillset (f@#$ing landnav), kit, and mental and physical endurance, and your team. The lack of information made it challenging going in, but defintely added another layer of stress and realism to the contest. I took many lessons away from this event, and hope to see you all next year. Special thanks to PMI (and the NRAWC volunteers) for having the vision, and making it a reality. Now, how about some 1:50k maps?!? -CRG2