• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2011 WY Antelope Trip (Graphic Berger Content)

darrenk75b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
Chico, Ca
Well, after having to postpone my antelpe hunting in Wyoming the last two years, I was finally able to make it out this year. I took my 7 year-old son with me, as well as a couple coworkers. We all had 2 doe tags, so we were expecting a fun-filled, casual hunting experience.

We arrived at our unit early Friday afternoon (unit 91, just north of Farson), with plenty of time to set up camp. We camped right next to Big Sandy Reservior. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing pretty well, and our poor tent was struggling to stay up. So, thanks to the low level of the lake, we were able to use the bank of the river to block out the wind.
PIC_0003.jpg

PIC_0012.jpg

My son love camping next to the lake, and quickly did what kids do - ejoy a few moments of play. Here's my little buddy
PIC_0007.jpg

PIC_0004.jpg

Here are my coworkers just after camp was set up
PIC_0009.jpg

PIC_0010.jpg

As dust fell, we saw quite a number of small antelope herds making their way down to the lake for an evening drink. It certainly got us excited for what the following day would have in store. As the sun went down, the wind settled, and we were treated to some of the beauty of God's creation
PIC_0013.jpg

Opening morning found us leaving camp just after sun up. About 10 minutes into our drive, we spotted a couple dows and a fawn standing about 100 yards from the road. I quickly exited the truck. Startled, they took off running. However, the lead doe stopped about 150 yards away. My 6x47 barked out a 105 Berger VLD. The doe flinched, took a couple steps, and sat down, dead. Here I am with my helper, as well as a shot of the damage the berger did.

PIC_0016.jpg

PIC_0018.jpg

Re: 2011 WY Antelope Trip (Graphic Berger Content)

With this doe down within the first 10 minutes of hunting, we were sure this trip was going to over abut as quickly as we coupld pull the triggers. However, the antelpe didn't get the message. While the original group of does was close, the next 4 hours were spent observing some very skittish lopes. Few groups let us get any closer than 800 yards before they took off. It was miles and miles of this without any results

PIC_0008.jpg

So, in a moment of divine inspiration, we decided to head out of the area and refocus our efforts farther east, just south of Eden Reservoir. Nearly the moment we crossed into public land we started seeing antelope again. Not 5 minutes into our drive, I spotted a one doe on a hill. The rangefinder read 548 yards. I've spent the past 6 or so months preparing for this trip, with multiple range sessions out to this distance. I looked at my dope card, spun the turret dial and plugged the doe through the lungs. In my excitement, I forgot to take any pictures. While I didn't hit the heart, the lungs were mush.

After gutting and skinning my doe, we headed down the road again. Not 500 yards beyond where my doe went down, we spotted another 30-40 lopes standing on a ridge heading toward a small pond. With my tags filled, my coworkers put on a stock. They got to within 150 yards of the herd when Wes absolutely flattened a doe with my 6mmBR slinging a 105 Berger. The doe nearly did a backflip when she went down.

PIC_0020.jpg

We cleaned and skinned Wes' doe, and started to head out. However, just after starting up the truck we noticed another truck had pushed another herd close to us. The antelope were coming over the same ridge where we were, just a few hundred yards away. Mike, my other coworker, tried to put himself in position to take one of the does as they crested the hill. However, his positioning was off and he couldn'r get a shot. I yelled at Wes to grab my 6x47 and take a shot if the oportunity came. With lopes steadily coming over the hill, I quickly eyeballed the range at 400 yards and spun the dial on the scope for Wes. With Mike unable to get a clean shot, Wes let a shot fly and planted his second doe. He was nearly standing next to the gut pile from his first doe taken just minutes before.

We now felt like we were in the promise land. However, Mike had developed a small headache so we decided that some food and a little downtime were called for. After all, Wes and I were now done for our trip, so whatever Mike wanted to do we would do. Back at camp, Mike's headache became more intense so we decided to call it a day and head out to finish out hunt in the morning. However, during the night the headache turned into a debilitating migrane for Mike. Instead of filling his tags Sunday morning, Mike found himself in the Rock Springs emergency room. Whatever they gave him sure worked, but there was no way he could hunt. So, we made the unfortunate decision to call off our hunt before he could even get a single doe. Even with the sudden end to our trip, I had an absolute blast and will be heading back next year, no doubt.

I'll try to snap some. It's a monster all right. I think it's likely 1" head to tail and weighing in at a whopping 40 grains. Sure made the kiddo happy.

Looks like you guys had a blast! Great pics, love the story. Good country for goats over there...

Glad two of you guys at least got a great hunt in. And of course bringing your son along is priceless. What was the lizard, a blue-belly?

Re: Mikes headache, did they ever find out what it was? I know that going from low altitude with relatively high humidity to the high/dry conditions of Wyoming and Nevada has spawned a number of headaches. People don't understand that in the dry conditions what little you seem to sweat is effective. Meaning you get dehydrated without knowing it. Always that combination of altitude and dryness. Anyhow, that causes headaches. Some are more susceptible to it than others. It might also be some reaction to the flora of the new area. Some people get migraines from hay fever. Anyways, glad he got rid of it.

The lizard was a baby horned lizard.

Mike gets headaches a few times a year. The altitude, long drive, anticipation, change in diet, etc are all likely contributors. He's had numerous tests performed over the years and there is no clear answer as to the cause.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you guys had a blast! Great pics, love the story. Good country for goats over there... </div></div>

+1

great job ~! glad you had a good trip.

Wind ? it never blows in Wyoming ?? laffin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you guys had a blast! Great pics, love the story. Good country for goats over there... </div></div>

+1

great job ~! glad you had a good trip.

Wind ? it never blows in Wyoming ?? laffin'</div></div>

That's why they have short legged cows on one side....so they can stay on the hillside too....
wink.gif

Sendero,

Is it windier where you're at in Buffalo, or down in Casper? I always thought the wind didn't blow on the West side of the WR mountains where they were at.
grin.gif

Way windier in Casper by far!!

In Wyoming, when I teach judging wind, we use a steal pot (the old helment). Drop the pot from shoulder level, point at it. Figure the angle of the arm, divide by 4 and that tells you the velocity. Crank the sights to adjust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Wyoming, when I teach judging wind, we use a steal pot (the old helment). Drop the pot from shoulder level, point at it. Figure the angle of the arm, divide by 4 and that tells you the velocity. Crank the sights to adjust. </div></div>

...and still hold off half the time
wink.gif

Looks like fun congratulations. I can hardly wait to take my little guy hunting with me. Since he is only 7mos, I have plenty of time to work up a load for his rifle.
smile.gif

Time spent like that is worth every penny and more.

Did you have preference points or was it an open draw?

No preference points needed for the doe tags, so it was regular draw. Gonna buy a preference point for next year.