• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 JP Rifles/ Mammoth Sniper Challenge

Re: 2013 JP Rifles/ Mammoth Sniper Challenge

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MINITS iWitness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there info on future events? </div></div>

Maybe wait till this one is over with?

0500 in ETM and the sleeping bag is toasty.

Re: 2013 Mammoth Sniper Challenge

Extreme Tough Man
1st Horner/Payne
2nd Castle/Satterlee
3rd Saunders/Morgan

Best I can remember anyway. Tired from the drive home.

I'm beat and glad to be back home with my lovely girls. But had an awesome time at the match.

Thanks to everyone in Squad 1 for making this a terrific and fun time for me and Thomas. We were honored to shoot with all you gentlemen (and lady!). Was great seeing some familiar faces I hadn't seen since last match and also nice meeting some new folks.

Gotta shout out to the ROs. I've ROed matches and know it can really be a thankless job that wears you down. It is a huge time commitment for these folks to make this match happen and I appreciate them sacrificing their time to make this a smoothly run, fun and safe match. They all did an outstanding job.

Thanks to all the match contributors who stocked an amazing prize table. Speaking of that and the ROs, I want to commend the ROs for having mercy and not DQing Jeremy Parker from the prize table for taking pictures of the prize table even though he knew the use of all electronic devices was banned past the prize room starting point.
grin.gif

Looking forward to next year...

Mark

First off, I would like to thank Joe and all the RO's that made this weekend possible. Attending this event as a competitor, I can only imagine the logistics involved to pull this off.

Next up, thanks to squad 2 for being a great group of guys to spend the weekend with. I had a great time shooting this match, and look forward to what next year may bring.

Had a great time shooting and chatting with y'all from squad 5.

A big thank you to the ROs for donating your time and effort to the cause. All of us shooters appreciate it and recognize this wouldn't be possible without you.

Thanks to Joe for again, putting on another challenging match. Joe sure does find a way to include some kind of curveball in each stage.

Hey Mark It was great seeing and hanging around you all weekend! Squad 1 was great and I thought it was pretty cool that 3 of the top 4 Extreme teams came from our squad!
Horner and Payne were a great example of preparation meeting opportunity, it was a pleasure watching them do their thing!
I just couldn't help but take pictures of all that cool stuff!!
The sponsors really came through for this one! Thanks to all of them and the RO's who worked their butts off all week.

Till next time
smile.gif

Jeremy

Joe,
Thanks for putting on a solid match with a huge back side support package. The match ran smooth the R/Os were solid and profesional. Your matches are always a kick in the knuts and a good way to start off the year. Eating a little humble pie on small targets far away is good for the soul and gets the mind right for the rest of the shooting season.

R/Os,
Thank you for your time and effort you guys are the king! Jody, Scott, Marcus, Hill, Caleb, et al keep that shit up you guys are awesome.

Sponsors,
With out your support we wouldn't have matches with this level of competition. With out a prize table guys would just go out lay in the prone, goof off and go home when they got tired. You guys put your skill, ideas, time and capital on the table.

Dan and Tyler,
Great shooting hopefully Ryan and I will get another shot at you guys next year.

Squad 2
I enjoyed your company! You guys were awesome to hang out with. You guys made the match for me in every way. Shooting isn't everything.

Well I am glad I got the opportunity to shoot with so many great guys. Squad 1 was a blast to be in. I hope I get to shoot with all of you again in the future.

Any chance somebody compiled a list of gear that was used, much like the PRS list?

I know the PRS list was a "who's who" in precision rifle but it'd still be nice to see what kind of rifles/calibers/stocks/optics/bullets/powder were used by those who participated.

I'm planning to train up this coming year and maybe shoot Mammoth next year.

This was one hell of a ride. As our first competition of any sorts, my partner and I tried to hang in shooting and were rewarded with a 20pt stage to finish off the match. Made the final ruck that much easier. I'm working on a AAR for some other forums that I will post a link on here.
We were certainly prepared for the physical parts and the environment, our gear performed flawlessly and our bodies did pretty darn well for a couple of 39'ers....
smile.gif
The shooting is another story. No one volunteered the info on this forum that I was able to pick up on but let me tell you guys, showing up with some rifle dope from 100-1000 and a 10mph cross-wind aint gonna cut it.. Shooting off bags and pods for a couple of months aint gonna do it either. As secondary shooter I may have taken 30 shots from a stable platform - comfortable. 20 of those were as the primary shooter with the primary weapon. If you are thinking about this event you better practice shooting your gas-gun standing on top of your head!
ETM - even with the EXTREMELY large wooden box providing basically a "car camping" level of supplies, the course was extremely difficult. There were a few less than-prepared people in the campsite as well as a few "too" prepared. There were also MORE than a couple teams of badass professionals who do that stuff for a living protecting our freedoms. If you plan on doing ETM in the future, take your workout advice from the Crossfit folks and take your packing advise from backpackers. GO LIGHT.

I'd also like to thank Joe and the team he assembled. As a greenhorn I was made to feel welcome and at home. I would encourage anyone at a beginner's level like myself to come on out.

SQUAD 2 was a hoot, great and varying personalities, lots of camaraderie and compassion as well a true spirit of fun and fair competition.

Special shout to the 5th Goup SF boys who shared their JD with me both nights and some SQUAD 2 comrades for sharing their Canadian whiskey!

thanks everyone for coming out! I had a good time meeting some new people and seeing some old friends. It was a pleasure to RO for you guys and girls.

Caleb

BoilerUP said:
Any chance somebody compiled a list of gear that was used, much like the PRS list?

Shooting gear:
primary
GAP templar in .260, Bartlein barrel, Manners T-5a folder, USO sn3 3.8-22 MPR reticle, timney trigger, running 140 berger hybrids at 2870
Secondary
JP LRP-07 16" LW 308, sn3 3.2-17 MPR reticle, running 168 A-MAX at 2550 (South west ammo)
leupold Mk-4 Spotter with reticle, Manfroto tripod and mount
Packing gear:
1x Eber lowdrag
1x Eber gunslinger 2
Mountain hardware tango 3 tent
Mountain hardware king tut bag x 2
Thermo rest LW sleeping pads x 2
Lowa GTX boots x 1
Merril boots x 1
Cold Gear:
Was a combo of Marmot, Mountain hardware and North face.

We walked in level 1 base layer and when we stopped we waited to cool off then added layers as needed.

Down cold gear is the way to go, it's is light and compressible

Gortex shell top and bottom is the way to go because you get rain and wind protection with a light compact package.

Getting dual use out of your gear is essential

Having similar scopes helped out as well

You mean T-4A on the primary right Scott?

We had an awesome time at this match.

Thank you to the R.O.'s for helping and Joe for putting this on.

Thank you to the other sponsors, the prize table was full of great stuff.

Congrats to the winners.

It was great meeting a lot of you, squad 2 made this fun for Mike and myself.

All the SW Ammo shooters put on an outstanding showing, we could not be happier to see what we did.

We look forward to the next one.

Dallas Smid and I drove down from Minnesota to attend this match, our first, and it was a great learning experience. Shot with squad 5 and had a wonderful time, it looks like it is even more fun if you can hit the targets. Now we know what kind of gear and equipment to get and what to practice for. Thanks for a great time.

Great match, hard work on behalf of the RO's made it a terrific weekend. Squad5 was awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations to Dave O. and Dave P. nice work.

Funny how they never seemed to get mentioned since they were in the regular division. There was a bit of a bias toward ETM at this match. </div></div>

I wouldn't disagree with that but ETM had to do more with a lot less ie caliber restriction, carrying everything, camping. It was basically two different matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a bit of a bias toward ETM at this match. </div></div>

Can you elaborate on the "bias"? The match staff had to spend more time with the ETM squads b/c it involved more effort to manage their movement, camping equipment (boxes) etc. ETM simply required more attention to get everyone safely through the match. Hopefully there wasn't any bias toward ETM on any of the stages. There certainly wasn't on my stage.

Jim is correct. All things considered, it pretty much boiled down to two seperate matches with both groups shooting the same stages.

A big thanks to the MD and all the ROs. I know this match took a lot of work but Im very happy you all put the time in.

Squad 2, you ALL were awesome to shoot with. It was a pleasure and I would do it again anytime.

I owe a big thanks to many people...

JP Enterprises
Southwest Ammo
US Optics
Delta Outdoorsman (Ceylon)
Manners Stocks
GAP
Alpha Ind

Thank you all for your support!

Mr Smith, I was there, I competed in ETM for part of the match. There was no bias on the prize table. The prizes for the ETM were clearly stated before the match. To be in the runnning for those prizes, you had to compete in that division. The prize table was separate of those top prizes. What Dave and Dave did was impressive. They shot very well, no on has taken anything from them or their performance. They were recognized in the aftermatch awards and prize table just like all the other top teams. The only thing really taking away from their performance is comments like you have just made.

Lighten up Francis...

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There was a bit of a bias toward ETM at this match. </div></div>

At this time in America when many are looking to limit our freedoms to bear arms and to freely and legally compete in activities like the Mammoth Sniper Competition we should be more welcoming and encouraging to shooters of all ages, abilities and levels physical fitness. Elitism will not further our sport or make it any more enjoyable.
</div></div>

If you had stayed around to hang out with any of the top shooters (ETM included) you would have found they are the most welcoming and least elitist of any of the competitors. When I was new to the sport these were the exact people that welcomed me and gave me pointers through out the match but like you said, you hopped in your car and drove off.

" Camping and running have nothing to do with their ability to shoot well." -Now that is an interesting thought... inaccurate but interesting. Even if it was true did you miss the part about secondary shooter caliber restrictions for ETM?

"I find it quite amusing that the winners of the International Sniper Competition, two of the best snipers in the world were followed closely in points by two civilians with 9-5 jobs and that no one recognized this awesome accomplishment rather they congratulated another team inaccurately for placing second just because they did not compete in the ETM division."

- If you are wanting Joe to dress up in a skirt and pompoms for your guys I wouldn't hold your breath. They were recognized like everyone else, their names were read and they went to the prize table. No one gets special treatment at Mammoth.

- Your guys did well and that is indicated by their finish and they were commended for that by a round of applause (I was there) when they went to the prize table second and picked up a Nordic Components AR (I believe) worth a couple grand.

- Now if you want to debate weather or not the prize table was too top heavy then so be it but don't mask it by attacking other shooters.

I spoke with Dave and he said he was just happy to be there and nothing Mr Smith said reflected his thoughts or opinions.

I want to thank all the competitors that came out. It is very difficult to make everyone happy. We try our best but we will never make all competitors happy.

Here2learn summed it up very well. It takes a lot more work to manage the ETM squads. I assure you there was no bias towards any division or team. I watched every squad on at least one stage. I personally congratulated the second place team and they were recognized at the awards. Yes I will agree that it may seem like the ETM winners get more recognition at the awards. Where else does the winning team have a chance of winning $14,000 in cash and prizes.

I didn't get to talk to a lot of the regular teams at the end of the days because I was out at the camping site until well after dark each night. If this offended anyone I do apologize but I have to be responsible for safety and make sure everyone makes it to the campsite.

If anyone would like to work this match next January please feel free to join us. I think I have some of the most dedicated ROs out there. I mean they have to put up with me for a week stressing out and getting short with them at times. They are all my friends and some are considered my best friends. I cannot thank them enough for what they do for this match.

Again, I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed the match. If you think this years ETM was interesting wait until next year. Myself and Marcus have been talking about it and I believe we are gonna let the top three teams from this year design a stage for next year.

Everyone have a great year of shooting and we look forward to seeing you next January or you can come out to the Kentucky Precision Rifle Challenge in July. That match is not as hard as Mammoth and the stages are designed to be less stressful with easier targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to thank all the competitors that came out. It is very difficult to make everyone happy. We try our best but we will never make all competitors happy.

Here2learn summed it up very well. It takes a lot more work to manage the ETM squads. I assure you there was no bias towards any division or team. I watched every squad on at least one stage. I personally congratulated the second place team and they were recognized at the awards. Yes I will agree that it may seem like the ETM winners get more recognition at the awards. Where else does the winning team have a chance of winning $14,000 in cash and prizes.

I didn't get to talk to a lot of the regular teams at the end of the days because I was out at the camping site until well after dark each night. If this offended anyone I do apologize but I have to be responsible for safety and make sure everyone makes it to the campsite.

If anyone would like to work this match next January please feel free to join us. I think I have some of the most dedicated ROs out there. I mean they have to put up with me for a week stressing out and getting short with them at times. They are all my friends and some are considered my best friends. I cannot thank them enough for what they do for this match.

Again, I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed the match. If you think this years ETM was interesting wait until next year. Myself and Marcus have been talking about it and I believe we are gonna let the top three teams from this year design a stage for next year.

Everyone have a great year of shooting and we look forward to seeing you next January or you can come out to the Kentucky Precision Rifle Challenge in July. That match is not as hard as Mammoth and the stages are designed to be less stressful with easier targets. </div></div>
Joe,
Just to add a little context to the ETM difficulty level. How many team started the ETM and what was the % of teams that dropped?

My $.02 for next year:
- Tough Man Division camps and gets a box
- Extreme Tough Man gets no box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $.02 for next year:
- Extreme Tough Man gets no box. </div></div>

And for 2015:

ETM gets no food or water, must be naked, run to each stage, and can only use issued Aguila super-colibri (no gunpowder) ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $.02 for next year:

And for 2015:

ETM gets no food or water, must be naked, run to each stage, and can only use issued Aguila super-colibri (no gunpowder) ammo. </div></div>

Man, I was hoping simply not wearing underwear would qualify for ETM
shocked.gif

If ETM competitors are naked I won't participate as a helper or competitor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $.02 for next year:

And for 2015:

ETM gets no food or water, must be naked, run to each stage, and can only use issued Aguila super-colibri (no gunpowder) ammo. </div></div>

shocked.gif

If ETM competitors are naked I won't participate as a helper or competitor. </div></div>

Sure ya won't...........
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $.02 for next year:

And for 2015:

shocked.gif

If ETM competitors are naked I won't participate as a helper or competitor. </div></div>

I'm with you on that one brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My $.02 for next year:

I agree. When I first saw the box, I was like "Holy shit! Really?" And started grabbing more stuff to put in it, most of which did not get used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, we lost 10 out of 30 teams. </div></div>
Does that include teams that didn't make time up to the lodge at the end??

Daves P and O...CONGRATS BROTHERS!! See you at Reade and ASC in the Spring

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, my friends over at ITS Tactical just posted up my AAR. I'm no wordsmith (or shooter for that matter, right?) or novelist but it shoulg give a decent look into my team's motivations and experience at this event.

enjoy
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/mammoth-sniper-challenge-aar/#more-13129 </div></div>

Nicely done!

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCrist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, my friends over at ITS Tactical just posted up my AAR. I'm no wordsmith (or shooter for that matter, right?) or novelist but it shoulg give a decent look into my team's motivations and experience at this event.

enjoy
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/mammoth-sniper-challenge-aar/#more-13129</div></div>

Nice write up.