• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 JP Rifles Mammoth Sniper Challenge

I would love to know expected round count as well. (open division)

Quote from the website

Teams should bring the following equipment:

Weapon Systems as described in the rules.

Open Match
ammunition to engage 70 targets, with no target being engaged with more than 4 rounds.

Tough Man Match
Enough primary ammunition to engage approximately 60 targets, with no target being engaged with more than 4 rounds.
Enough secondary ammunition to engage approximately 40 targets, with no target being engaged with more than 4 rounds.

Eye and ear protection
Ruck sack or other means of carrying all equipment
Appropriate clothing for weather and conditions
Comfortable shoes for traversing wooded and hilly terrain
Snacks for during the match (water will be provided).
Snivel gear

A while back I saw a post saying that we could leave gear at our tent on the second day. Has this changed? Several of us saw the post but it has been deleted.

While i cant give a direct answer, i can say that in the first post in this thread joe does mention that.

I'm not an investigator or even a smart guy but when the stage descriptions start with "The Shooter will" or "The Team will" I feel certain which ones will be ETM or TM versus Open division.

Well, instead of rucking and eating well here in Ohio visiting the outlaws for Christmas, I've sat on my ass and eaten junk food for a week. At least maybe the extra fat layer will insulate me better on those sub-freezing nights.

Looking forward to the match. Weather forecast looks interesting with chance of rain and possible snow.

For those asking about round count, Tough Man teams should plan to bring an extra few hundred rounds just in case. You can never carry enough ammo.

Last edited:
Attn: All shooters JP will be doing a live fire demo after the match while we do the scores and set up the prize table.

Check the match book or match website for more details. Please note that times are subject to change.

Also, if you have not downloaded and printed out the match book please do so because we will only have a few to hand out at the match.

See you guys next week.

For those asking about round count, Tough Man teams should plan to bring an extra few hundred rounds just in case. You can never carry enough ammo.

And rear bags, can't have enough of those. They can be used to hold the corners if your tent down too. 10-15 large ones would really have you "kitted out"

Very little chatter leading up to this event. Surprising for sure! Is there anyone else out there who's pumped up?? All .mil guys this year who don't post on forums?? I hope my squad isn't this quiet, I'm in for fun a good times and nothing spells fun and good times to me more than living in the woods for a weekend with good folks and shooting shit.

Jcrist, I really enjoyed your writeup from last year. It is one of the reasons that I've been excited for this for months. I was able to shoot this match the first year when Barrett was the sponsor. Though a different format, I am happy to be coming back with my brother to try out the ETM division. I love backpacking and winter camping, adding tactical shooting to the mix should be a blast. Lets just hope we don't suck too much wind on the hikes. See you all soon.

I got excited today when i did a quick trial pack to see if I could get all the gear in the pack, and tested weight. I'm just looking forward to being outside and putting some miles in. The colder the weather, the more I just view it as challenging fun. Bring on the snow!

Jcrist, I really enjoyed your writeup from last year. It is one of the reasons that I've been excited for this for months. I was able to shoot this match the first year when Barrett was the sponsor. Though a different format, I am happy to be coming back with my brother to try out the ETM division. I love backpacking and winter camping, adding tactical shooting to the mix should be a blast. Lets just hope we don't suck too much wind on the hikes. See you all soon.

Thanks man, I've reread it a couple of times recently as well, gets me pumped up. We have different goals this year focusing more on shooting performance than PT. Of course we want to move well but we are in much better shape after spending the year doing ruck events and improving fitness. That said, trying to stay in front if 20 something .mils is overrated. The amount of time and resources spent on improving our shooting should allow us to expect better results, which prolly means we will be much more pissed when we can't hit shit - again this year ; )
Barrett had a shooting demo set up last year during the match and have away sticking caps. I plan on taking advantage of that this year if available. This match is so awesome, it's like Christmas all over again! Look forward to getting with my squad and having a load of fun!

Last year I carried my gun (AR-15) and my pack weighed in at just over 20lbs. For some reason this year I'm at just under 50 with no water :-(
Subtracting the gun weight and ammo difference I still have a ton in their more than last year... Oh, and that doesn't include the Jack Daniels....

I know we are starting to get pretty jacked up for it this year. I've got my packed pretty well loaded up. Looking at 42-45 lbs depending on last minute items. I'm shooting my 3-Gun AR instead of my beastly 300WM which saves a lot of weight both with the gun and ammo. The big difference this year is obviously the lack of the box. My problem right now is that I'm fighting a nasty cold/sinus infection. I've got a Dr. apt today to try to get this knocked out. Sick or not, we're committed at this point. No backing out now.

this match sounds great. I will not be there this year but plan on doing it next year. I found a partner and we want to do the tough man division. We just didn't have all the gear to do it this year and I run a 260 so this gives me an excuse to build a 308 or a 223 this year. cant wait to read all the post when the this match is over. Good luck to you all and be safe. as of now looks like you may get some snow.

Last year I carried my gun (AR-15) and my pack weighed in at just over 20lbs. For some reason this year I'm at just under 50 with no water :-(
Subtracting the gun weight and ammo difference I still have a ton in their more than last year... Oh, and that doesn't include the Jack Daniels....

I did a quick pack over the weekend and my gear is a little over 50 pounds. Not too worried since it will only get lighter as ammo and food are consumed.

Looks like a high of 28 and a low of 16 on Friday. Reminds me a little of Mammoth year 1. We've been spoiled the past two years with balmy weather. Glad I'm shooting the "gentlemen's division" this year! More power to all you Tough Men!

I guess the weather god's know I'm coming. First year was balls cold, and I skipped the next 2 years when they had golf course conditions! Coming back for this one and it looks like it may be a repeat of 2011. Shooting 308 in the open div. and I am super
excited about my bullets falling out of the sky.

I did a load out a couple weeks ago. Weighed my pack with everything. 51lbs. Add my 15lb rifle and I'm rucking 66lbs. That's heavy gents. If we have to trudge through fresh snow I might have trouble with the 20min miles. That and I too am fighting a nasty fever and cold.

I seem to remember in 2011 the temp at the first stage we shot was around 15 degrees. It did not warm up much from that, only it got windier. I remember my dope on the red barn stage was for a full value 18mph wind. That I was hitting targets in that was thanks to my ace spotter (brother). If it is that cold hopefully it is not so damn windy.

I'm jazzed! Just checked my pack ... weighing in at about 6000+ lbs. Oh ... that would be the Open Division Yukon XL carriage vehicle. ;-)

I'm jazzed! Just checked my pack ... weighing in at about 6000+ lbs. Oh ... that would be the Open Division Yukon XL carriage vehicle. ;-)

Haha. Nice.

I haven't added the rifle or water, but I'm sitting at exactly 45lbs. Sonofabitch. I really thought I could keep the pack around 40 with rifle. I'm carrying a Mystery Ranch which is heavy. Tempted to switch to the Arc'Teryx but I like the rifle sling/sheath on the Mystery frame.

D@mn!t, @!#$, @#$%. Still cursing about the pack weight.

Just finished loading my pack. 40 lbs! For me, that's 8 lbs lighter than last year! It seems like I'm forgetting something... like my gun. Hmm. Yeah, its in there. Rifle, ammo, spotting scope, tripod, rear bag, bipod, mags, jetboil, blah, blah, blah. I probably am forgetting something. Won't realize it til I need it.

In other news... I saw the doc today to see if there is anything he can give me to help get over this stupid cold. He was hesitant, but it helps that he's a gun guy! Got a quick shot and some meds that are supposed to be pretty stout. We'll see what happens! Looking forward to it guys!

Does anyone remember how the cell reception was around the bath house camp site last year? I think we can watch some football on the WatchESPN app if there is good enough signal. Just sayin. :)

Sounds like range finders will be provided anywhere necessary. Will use of our own be allowed too, or only the provided units? Really think im going to not lug mine around but want to check.

Sounds like range finders will be provided anywhere necessary. Will use of our own be allowed too, or only the provided units? Really think im going to not lug mine around but want to check.

Typically we have only been able to use the provided ones. I don't think this year will be any different.

Marcus clarified in post 93. No need to bring yer own as everyone will use the same one. Part of Joe's match briefing is usually to warn that using a LRF other than the one provided on any stage will result in a match DQ.

Glad to see its a Swarov this year, maybe it'll actually work:)

Will we be allowed to use our own trajectory range cards?

Also, is there anyone in open division looking for a spotting partner?

jonesy.

I was looking for a spotting partner but have found one with Joe's help. I would send him an email.

Will we be allowed to use our own trajectory range cards?

7.1 Allowed equipment
7.1.1 Competitor may bring equipment necessary to carry and use their firearms. This includes the firearm, sling, ammunition, magazines, data book, PDA and ruck sack.

I was rereading the requirements for the TM/ETM teams and I noticed that it states you must carry water...? Last year water was provided at each stage. Is this a change from years past?

From the website:
Regular Division

Must walk the the entire match. Estimated distances are between 1.5 and 3.5 miles between stages and you will be given 20 minutes per mile to cover the distance.
Must carry all gear needed to complete the stages for the day. This includes everything you need to compete including weapons, ammunition, food, water, maintenance items, etc.
Can not ask for anything from another competitor or ask for any help during the course of the match.
If the team is unable to continue for any reason they can move into the Open Match for the remainder of the match.

I was rereading the requirements for the TM/ETM teams and I noticed that it states you must carry water...? Last year water was provided at each stage. Is this a change from years past?

From the website:
Regular Division

Must walk the the entire match. Estimated distances are between 1.5 and 3.5 miles between stages and you will be given 20 minutes per mile to cover the distance.
Must carry all gear needed to complete the stages for the day. This includes everything you need to compete including weapons, ammunition, food, water, maintenance items, etc.
Can not ask for anything from another competitor or ask for any help during the course of the match.
If the team is unable to continue for any reason they can move into the Open Match for the remainder of the match.

See Joe's first post with the following clarification:

A few things up front from some questions already.
*Water will be provided the entire match for the tough man and extreme tough man.

It's so on !!!!

Please do good....please do good.....please do good....please do good
52jknt.jpg

Leaving early tomorrow morning! Can't wait! Shooting the open division with a new 6.5CM bolt gun, so no need to be careful about my load-out, but I have to say, I have nothing but respect for all the TM and ETM shooters, especially .mil guys. Good luck everyone!

My little side-business, BestTargets, is helping to sponsor the event, and I'm really proud of that. To celebrate, I'll be offering all steel delivered to the match at 10% off plus (of course) no shipping. Let us know if you want any AR500 delivered to the match! It's never too early to think about practice for next year!

Last year we shot on the golf course but the weather was far from "golf course" weather. It dropped to 20 at night, just ask the guys who stayed up all night next to the burn barrel and/or dropped.

I'm in open division as well. Do we have the option of driving the entire day, or are we supposed to be walking? I was under the impression that everyone was walking.

We can't make it in tonight. There's a fatal car wreck on I-64 and the weather is absolute crap. Left a message with Joe to see if there's anything we can do if we can make it down tomorrow (make up a couple stages or something?).

Best of luck in the morning folks!

2014 JP Rifles Mammoth Sniper Challenge

Two Jeff Jones competing?

It's be cool to see a gear list from all competitors post-event ala the PRS thread...rifles/calibers/optics/etc.