• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 STEEL SAFARI - Match Announcement

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">COMPETITION DYNAMICS</span></span> presents the
<span style="font-weight: bold">2014 STEEL SAFARI</span>
June 6-8, 2014
at the Blue Steel Ranch near Logan, NM
COMPETITION DYNAMICS

The Steel Safari is one of the premier true field long-range practical shooting matches in the country.

For 2013 we made a change in the format to be 3 days of field-course shooting instead of 2. We ended up with 27 stages in 2013. I believe everyone liked the additional shooting and time at the match site so we are repeating this format for 2014. This change also allowed us to accept over 60 shooters which in practice meant that everyone who signed up, even if they were on the wait list originally, did get into the match.

We are revamping the C-D web site for 2014 and it's not quite ready yet, but it will be up soon.

Registration will go live 1/5

Last edited:
Another great event unfortunately right in the middle of my work schedule :/. Should be a blast though.

Last years match.... 2013 was extremely challenging, a blast to shoot, rugged expansive terrain and organized and executed very smoothly.... The sponsor/prize table was amazing. You will have a blast if you don't mind being humbled.

I'm in as a sponsor and, I hope, a shooter! Gong to try to get back out to several matches next year. Steel safari is always my favorite.

We've had .308 shooters place as high as I think 4th but it takes a very good shooter with some luck to break the top 10 using .308.

Also, Competition Dynamics has a totally new website! Check it out at WWW.COMPETITION-DYNAMICS.COM . The new site has the 2014 event dates, match descriptions, a match rating system for shooting and physical difficulty, individual match blogs, video integration, social media, and the ability to do "live" match Q&A. We now have direct links to our Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube accounts from the main homepage. Check out the Youtube link because we now have a bunch of event videos posted!

If JC Steel Targets can sponsor some targets for this match or throw some stuff on the price table we would love to do so. Just let us know.

Thanks

Jake

You guys are really doing some great stuff. Thank you. This will be my first match and I am really looking forward to the experience.

Thanks again.

Q,

If JC Steel Targets can sponsor some targets for this match or throw some stuff on the price table we would love to do so. Just let us know.

Thanks

Jake

Jake,

We would be honored to have you as a sponsor. we will send out the sponsor material later this week for all the 2014 CD matches.

Jeff

Just signed up for the Steel Safari and its not only my first organized shoot, i have lots of local and friendly stuff experience, but its my first Competition Dynamics shoot! I am so pumped for this. Can't wait to learn, talk gear, test my skill, and come out a better shooter!

I was wondering if you guys that have shot this before can help me start to prepare better. I would like to know a couple of things:
- Gear:
What caliber seems to do the best?
How much does the average successful shooters rifle weigh?
Whats in their bag? I use Eberlestock GSII's in general.
I use a G7 range finder and Vortex spotting scopes, optics, and binos. Is this on par?
What type of boots to guys find successful. I usually run Lowa's but they can be hot.
What type of clothes. UA Heat Gear Ok?

Training:
Hot temp hiking and trigger time with weighted pack?
Lots of cardio BMI as low as possible without losing strength?
Little help...

Sorry dont mean to be a pest but I am hoping to really gain applicable experience out of this. I realized it is a milder competition as far as the other CD shoots go but I want to excel so I can later keep challenging myself in the 24hr and do the GAP down in Florida.

I currently am running an Accurate Ordnance AICS Stiller and Hart 300wm and hand load 215OTM's. I am good out to 900 with it but have not tried farther. I am sure I can though. I am worried the rifle is too heavy. My 308 is another Accurate Ordnance in M40 A2 but I am sure its not long enough for this

Thanks guys and look forward to your comments.

PCW

I'll chime in on some of this and let others report their experience.

Caliber: mid-size 6.5mm's like .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor

Weight: 16-18 lbs average top 5

I personally recommend bringing the minimum amount of gear in your pack. For me this would be: ammunition for day, one extra magazine (in case of mag failure), extra data card (besides one on rifle - in case it is lost), laser rangefinder (and/or binos- I just use a LRF), extremely small toolkit (just enough to field strip bolt and knock out a stuck bullet, a Glock cleaning rod (plastic) with a patch in case chamber gets really gunked up; water; a "powerbar" or two; and my "rear bag." Shooting sticks go on the pack. You don't want to have a lot of extra stuff, it just slows you down.

On boots, the terrain is pretty rocky and there are cactus everywhere. I've used everything from my heavy Danners to a set of trail running shoes. It just depends on what works for you really. A long sleeve shirt is not a bad idea.

As far as the physical conditioning goes, the Steel Safari is pretty easy, kind of like a 3-4 mile hike in the high desert. The only catch is the hike is spread over typically about 4-5 hours and broken up into about 8 sections, each separated by a high stress 5 minute stage of location, ranging, and shooting those targets under a time constraint. Temperatures at the Steel Safari are typically 90 - 110 F.

Much of being successful at the Steel Safari has to do with consistent performance through the days/match, as well as being able to very efficiently locate, range and engage targets without wasting time.

Hey Zak how ya doing man? Thanks for the info. This helps a lot. I would be interested to see what everyone else has to say about their experience. However the info you gave me before on the 6.5 keeps coming up from several places as the round to shoot for competition. Problem..... I have lots of money invested in those 2 rifles and I dont see me having the funds to build a new rifle. So. Do I shoot a shorter shooting .308 or a much much more capable but heavy AICS .300. Im in pretty good shape but still dont want to tote that big f****r! It gives me the best chances for better results though. See Picture attached.

Guess its time to build that Creedmoor! Time to save.

Any other advice on gear and travel to this site would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I'd just shoot the 300 and spend the money you save not building a new gun on more ammo for practice. Also, get a really good range finder and make sure your data is really solid. "Tall target" test your scope so you know that when you dial 8.3 mills you are really dialing 8.3 and not something else if it's something else, and it probably is, know the scale factor and use it (again, make sure you data is really solid).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just registered and am looking forward to it. This is my first competition. Is there time to check your zero each morning?
I will likely shoot my Creedmore, but I like the .300 winmag. However, if I can't clean between days (and recheck zero), the win mag is out.

Is there enough time between stations for a .300 win mag barrel to cool down?

Those are nice Mendocino. I cant roll like that brother! haha I guess ill have to get my best rig together and as we say down south; Slaing wacha braing!!! Its the southern way!

We have a benefactor who would like to remain anonymous that is funding a slot for and active Mil shooter in the 2014 Steel Safari! If you are currently in the military and would like to shoot the 2014 Steel Safari post up to FB the following: who you are, what your job in the military is, where you are stationed, and why you would like to shoot the 2014 Steel Safari. We'll let the benefactor make the final decision but would like input from all the CD community on the merits of the applicants.

https://www.facebook.com/competitiondynamics

Hey Zak
I have my confirmation # for this year. Shot the match last year and had a
great time. We actually talked at the match at Pawnee this past summer.
My question is, I listed the caliber rifle I am planning on shooting at the
match. Is that etched in stone, or, can I bring something else?

You really don't need to worry about cleaning each day.
Take the 300 and enjoy making some noise and banging steel.

Ute lake has both tent camping and full RV hookups, I pulled the fifth wheel and stayed there last year........fishing with the kids in the evenings to boot!!

We had some movement on the Steel Safari wait list today. The wait list is down to just 1.

This means that if you haven't signed up and still want a chance to shoot the match, get on the wait list and the probability of your wait list slot getting called is pretty high.

Looking forward to this match. It'll be my first serious rifle long-range match. See y'all in Logan.

atek3

I just got off the wait list and on the accepted list. I'm trying to figure out the round count. If it's 8 stages per day, 3 days, and six targets per stage I get 144 rounds. The site says 162 in the Q&A. It wouldn't matter except I have a brass problem and am extremely tight on brass. Is it really 162? If so, what's the explanation?

I'll take a couple XL tees, Zak.

Zak, shooters info states that we need binoculars for spotting.
Any issue with me bringing a Leupy 10-20x Gold Ring Compact Spotter instead?

Zak, shooters info states that we need binoculars for spotting.
Any issue with me bringing a Leupy 10-20x Gold Ring Compact Spotter instead?

I've not shot the steel safari, but if it's like the RMSQ, you will need to transition between all of the targets on the stage as the shooter is engaging them - i.e. the shooter will be shooting his targets, on the clock. I've not used a spotter, but if the magnification is too high, you might spend a lot of time hunting for the targets while the shooter is hitting them. The targets are in natural terrain, not laid out square range style, so if you can move between all of them without delay it would work.

Made it off the wait list but Hotels are booked. If anyone has room for one more please contact me.

Good times this weekend. The CD staff put on a hell of a match. Lots of new faces as well as all the same old faces. It is good to see the sport grow.

This year was tough for sure, but not impossible,,, as the top shooters demonstrated.

Cant wait for 2015.

Yet another great Competition Dynamics match! This was my 4th time shooting the Steel Safari and this was the most fun so far. I noticed lots of new shooters to this match, this is a great change from prior years. I'd encourage new shooters to get out there and give this match a try next year; the odds are you'll be coming back in subsequent years. I RO'd two shooters who hadn't shot this match before. I noticed a huge improvement by the third day. There is definitely a steep learning curve, but I think you can get over that pretty quickly.

Thanks to all the sponsors, match staff, shooters, and especially JP for making this happen. I'm looking forward to 2015!

Yep, a big shout out to the match staff and everyone I came in contact with at the event-that goes double for the guys on either side of me in the stack who were great to work with. I'll come back stronger from the beating I took-I think that finishing above the fold with my turnip tosser next year is a realistic goal.

Last edited: