• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2017 Ram 2500 thoughts

uffduh

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 1, 2017
    Came across a 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie today with all the bells and whistles in extremely good condition. Have been looking for a road trip/take the kids to college/hunting rig. It's offered at a very good price, but has 103k miles...new tires though. Anyone have a high mile Ram 2500 that can offer an opinion? Has the 5.7L Hemi. Anything to be aware of?...stuff that needs replacing, especially, as it will be out of warranty unless I can get an extended warranty. I don't do a ton of miles, but how many can I get out of this one with the right maintenance and oil?

Thanks and happy holidays!

1545524716070.jpg

Coming from a guy that drives and likes ram 2500 gassers. I would avoid that truck.
    Lots of bells and whistles and 100k sounds like a lot of repairs. Unless you can get a good mopar warranty.
    Also for a 2500 the bigger hemi is really a worthwhile upgrade.

I bought a 2015 Lonestar last March with 118,000. It has a Cummins. Pulled a trailer from Oklahoma to Billings, Montana last October. I have done nothing other than service it. I am thinking of buying another one like you have found with the gas motor for a daily driver. I think you will do well with it.

Coming from a guy that drives and likes ram 2500 gassers. I would avoid that truck.
    Lots of bells and whistles and 100k sounds like a lot of repairs. Unless you can get a good mopar warranty.
    Also for a 2500 the bigger hemi is really a worthwhile upgrade.
    At what stage (mileage) do you stop driving them?

If no lifetime warranty, I drive for 3 years 70k miles or so and sell it (business write off)
    Thanks, thought it would be something like that. Now off only someone had given me the same advice before I bought a 45 year old bronco!!!!

I dunno about the 2017 but my 05 2500 has a 5.7 and I love it. Certainly didn't have the power of the 1500 with the extra weight but it still loves good. Had the engine rebuilt at 260k.
    Only downside is the 10mpg but I think the newer ones have displacement on demand etc.

Gross!!!!!! a ram:eek:? i had one an 04 it was a complete POS :poop:. New short block 32K, seat caved in by 25K, dash fell in at 80k and went through 3 wheel bearing on the drivers side and 1 on the passenger side by the time it had 120k on it. it was awful.

We have a 2015 and a 2017 AEV Ram 2500. Both have been awesome trucks but the AEV is pretty cool. We can build all of our own stuff and have built several trucks but at this point we stick with RAM.

The truck itself will be reliable enough, but the 5.7 will leave much to be desired if you tow or want decent mileage. Plan on 10-12 mpg on flat ground. Unless you need a 2500 for towing or hauling, look for a 1500 that will provide a better ride and a little better mileage.

I’ve got a 2017 delmonico red Laramie 2500. It only has 17000 miles on it though but I love it. It’s got the 6.4 hemi and pulls great. It of course is no diesel but pulls a 30 foot cattle trailer just fine loaded. I’d think they should be good to 250,000 miles if u take care of it. My last 2500 ram was a 2004 with the 5.7 hemi and it was still pulling and running good at 230,000 miles when I got rid of it. Only this I wish id have bought is a cheaper tradesman or slt since the Laramie is so nice and I cringe when I load my dog up lol. My family had chevys but fuck them. Until General Motors pays back the taxpayer with interest I will never own one. Obama motors can piss off and die.

You do know that Chrysler took a bailout in 2009 and didn’t pay it all back, correct?

https://www.factcheck.org/2011/06/chrysler-paid-in-full/

That makes your entire reason for telling GM to piss off invalid...awkward.

I had to look it up. They paid back 10.6 billion dollars and received the rest through tax diversions or some shit. So as far as I’m concerned ram is leaps and bounds ahead of General Motors who paid nothing back which amounted to 49.5 billion and Obama took ownership of gm and then gave it back. Ford didn’t take a bailout so damn good for them.

Reactions: Tazman
    I had to look it up. They paid back 10.6 billion dollars and received the rest through tax diversions or some shit. So as far as I’m concerned ram is leaps and bounds ahead of General Motors who paid nothing back which amounted to 49.5 billion and Obama took ownership of gm and then gave it back. Ford didn’t take a bailout so damn good for them.

Technically, Ford didn't accept a "bailout" but they accepted a loan to build fuel efficient vehicles and never paid it back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...ment-loan-before-moving-small-cars-to-mexico/

Reactions: Tazman
    If anyone wants to claim one brand is less of a government sucker than another, they're no smarter than a rock... Disagree? How many of them build a new plant anywhere without millions of dollars in tax incentives? ZERO, so STFU about some bailout (I don't agree with it one bit, btw, but all of them, including the foreign manufacturers, take money from the government and don't pay it back in some form or another).

I have a '13 Ram 2500 Power Wagon with the 5.7L Hemi. 90K miles on it now. I had 1 front (axle) U-joint go at about 75K miles, and one of the ball joints on that side was just starting to show wear (.005" play). I replaced all the ball joints with XRF's, and put in Spicer joints on both sides. Other than that, the trucks been bulletproof. I have an 8' Boss V-plow on it, and run front Timbrens to keep from sagging too much (Power Wagon's have softer springs than standard 2500's). Mileage sucks, but I knew that when I bought it...

If you don't absolutely need the payload/towing of a 2500 (even if it means pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton a few times a year), get the 1500 and don't look back. The HD is great, don't get me wrong, but living with the truck day to day, I wish I had the ride, mileage, and response of a 1500, and you just can't get that with the capabilities of a HD.

Reactions: Bender
    5.7 with 10mpg? Guess I should have kept my 02 Chevy with the 8.1 That got 13-16 on 55 mph backroads. I sure miss that 496....

5.7 with 10mpg? Guess I should have kept my 02 Chevy with the 8.1 That got 13-16 on 55 mph backroads. I sure miss that 496....

Yep, they are right on the brink of being underpowered which causes them to work harder. It’s similar to when they put a v6 in a 1500, sure it will run and drive but it doesn’t do anything well and sucks on mileage while doing it.

I would agree with the majority here in that it you don't really need it, stick with the 1500. That 5.7 will feel alot stronger and likely last longer without all that extra weight to pull around. With that said, here's my 2018 2500. lol. I don't even own a trailer, but I wanted a manual trans so I had to get the Cummins.
    20181217_104631.jpg

Technically, Ford didn't accept a "bailout" but they accepted a loan to build fuel efficient vehicles and never paid it back.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...ment-loan-before-moving-small-cars-to-mexico/

Well when the fucking government puts fuel mileage requirements on vehicles they tie the hands of manufactures. Look what Obama did with the Chevy volt. When required to make something nobody will buy they can’t help but loose money. Government needs to stay the fuck out of the free market and everything else for that matter.

As a lifelong mechanic, my humble opinion is to never ever own a Dodge unless it has the Cummins engine. The gas burners aren't heavy duty enough to stand up to me. That's JMO and your mileage may vary. Now If I could get the Cummins in any other brand truck that's the route I would take.

Personally I don't need a diesel at all. I drive GM HDs with the 6.0L gas burner. Pulls everything I want to pull and I can put a new engine in mine for the cost of a fuel injection pump replacement on a diesel.

Reactions: timesublime
    As a lifelong mechanic, my humble opinion is to never ever own a Dodge unless it has the Cummins engine. The gas burners aren't heavy duty enough to stand up to me. That's JMO and your mileage may vary. Now If I could get the Cummins in any other brand truck that's the route I would take.

Personally I don't need a diesel at all. I drive GM HDs with the 6.0L gas burner. Pulls everything I want to pull and I can put a new engine in mine for the cost of a fuel injection pump replacement on a diesel.

My 2500 Laramie 430 hp 6.4L. Hemi truck pulls the loaded stock trailer with no problem. I pull a lot between the boat my drag car skid loader and cattle I’m pulling something constantly and I don’t need a diesel. Especially now with all the added emissions regulations bullshit the government has threw at them. My old 5.7 pulled ok, I just never hot rodded it and took my time with the heavy loads. My best friends dad that has been a certified ford mechanic linger than I can remember who is the head mechanic for the county now says if you want a smooth ride and want to pay 5 grand more for the same thing buy a Chevy. So I guess to each their own but they still owe the tax payer 50 billion dollars plus interest then they turn around and announce the closing of another American General Motors plant. So Fuck Chevy.

Reactions: Bender
    My 2500 Laramie 430 hp 6.4L. Hemi truck pulls the loaded stock trailer with no problem. I pull a lot between the boat my drag car skid loader and cattle I’m pulling something constantly and I don’t need a diesel. Especially now with all the added emissions regulations bullshit the government has threw at them. My old 5.7 pulled ok, I just never hot rodded it and took my time with the heavy loads. My best friends dad that has been a certified ford mechanic linger than I can remember who is the head mechanic for the county now says if you want a smooth ride and want to pay 5 grand more for the same thing buy a Chevy. So I guess to each their own but they still owe the tax payer 50 billion dollars plus interest then they turn around and announce the closing of another American General Motors plant. So Fuck Chevy.

My Chevy 1500HD is an '03 model that I gave 10k for back in 2009. If I can help it I'll never buy new again. I worked at a Dodge dealership 8 years which is where I really really learned to dislike them. I admit I HAVE worked on/driven some of the later model 3500 HD Dodges ("Rams") with the Cummins and have been fairly impressed with their improvements, but the gas burners are still on my shit list. As you say, to each their own.

Back in the 70's I would drive nothing but Fords, until the new ones came out in 1980....nowdays I would drive one again but I'd have to be unable to find a good used GM.

04E74C5F-C7F3-4D62-A06D-C26D2B82693A.jpeg
    Had a 2014 Outdoorsman with the Cummins, loved it- when it wasn’t in the shop... I’ve never had so many problems with a truck in my life, especially a brand new one! From the 3rd brake light leaking and filling the back seat full of water and growing mold everywhere to the Cummins motor leaking oil everywhere, water pump failure, exhaust system completely replaced, suspension parts, electronic equipment not working, etc.. Went back to a Ford and have never been happier with a truck.

Reactions: Bender and mtrmn
    Typical responses here, same as any pickup truck thread, or muscle car thread, or tractor thread... My brand is the best, and everything else sucks. I owned this and it was shit, but this new one is perfect...

Why does anyone even post something like this anymore? You know exactly what you're going to get, and the answer will in no way, shape, or form, help you make an educated decision, its all opinion, and hearsay...

Buy whatever you drive and like the best. All brands make lemons... but the vast majority are good, dependable vehicles.

Anyone who complains about the reliability/quality of a vehicle they bought used is deranged... you have no idea how the previous owner cared for, used, or maintained the vehicle, even if it's 3 months old...

Typical responses here, same as any pickup truck thread, or muscle car thread, or tractor thread... My brand is the best, and everything else sucks. I owned this and it was shit, but this new one is perfect...

Why does anyone even post something like this anymore? You know exactly what you're going to get, and the answer will in no way, shape, or form, help you make an educated decision, its all opinion, and hearsay...

Buy whatever you drive and like the best. All brands make lemons... but the vast majority are good, dependable vehicles.

Anyone who complains about the reliability/quality of a vehicle they bought used is deranged... you have no idea how the previous owner cared for, used, or maintained the vehicle, even if it's 3 months old...
    Then why even read into this thread ..? Just wondering? I actually bought my Ram brand new (I planned on keeping it for a long time and didn’t want to question someone else’s maintenance)and changed the oil when ever the display said which was around every 15,000 miles running amsoil which is what is specified by Cummins on conventional oil, I had serviced the transmission twice by 67,000 miles and changed the air filter and fuel filters every 15,000 miles. I’m kinda anal about my stuff especially when I spend $60,000 on a truck. I actually had a 2004 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins in it and it was a great truck ! 198,000 miles and only problem I had was the water pump. That’s why I tried out the new Ram , and unfortunately I know many people who had the same issues that I had and more.
    It’s too bad peoples are so easily offended by the new found glory of a quality product that belongs to another person... unless it’s their brand

Get the diesel. Doesn’t matter from 08-18, they are great. So are other brands but we got 7 diesel rams from 11’-18’ and we haven’t had a problem with one, some only are hooked up to a trailer and some are mostly daily drivers. You want real world experience, well there is mine. I can’t say they are better than brands A or B but for us they just haven’t let us down. I couldn’t stand a gas in anything but a half ton.

Just to round it out, I lucked into a stupidly good deal on a ford. Thanks for the responses, though

I drive a RAM 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4. Love it. That gasser with that many miles in such a short time is time bomb waiting to happen. Walk away.

Reactions: MotorOilMcCall