• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s 2019 Nom, nom, nom thread...

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    I thought a new nom nom nom thread was in order.

So to kick it off, here’s some Potato and Bacon soup...

Start out with 1/2 pond of diced, thick cut bacon (and who doesn't like bacon, eh?)
    B1AE455B-B26D-4A0E-9FB1-C811FDA6632D.jpeg

Once the bacon has been almost browned/crisped, add in a mirepoix ( two carrots, three stalks of celery and half a large onion) and two cloves of garlic (minced). Cover and cook until softened.
    2F6CA9CB-73F5-46FC-98AF-FAA756AB9AF7.jpeg

Once softened, add 1/3 cup of flour (about 5 tbsps) and cook to a golden color.
    D6A92917-F777-4434-816E-BB602708E250.jpeg

Once the mirepoix/roux has reached the desired color, slowly whisk in 4 cups of chicken stock (just go slowly, making a slurry, and as it thickens, whisk in more and more stock). This is key to a smooth, consistent texture. Once all the stock has been whisked in, add about 2lbs of diced russet potatoes (peeled...or not), and cover and simmer for 30mins or until potatoes are fork tender.
    7FD8966C-C838-4C4B-9486-9F18279A43C2.jpeg

While it is simmering, tease the crap out of the local Malinois beggar, looking for any scraps of bacon that "may" have fallen on the floor. :)
    CE406128-86B0-43B9-99E1-A5C802F0130F.jpeg

Once the potatoes are fork tender, throw in 2 cups of whole milk, some fresh cut scallions from the garden and salt and pepper to taste (say 1 tsp of kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper). Let the milk come up to temperature for about 2 mins.
    1240379B-0D73-48A8-97E5-610DAC27AD04.jpeg

Then plate (or bowl as the case may be) and top with shredded cheddar cheese (and any bacon bits you may have) and serve with some sliced crusty french baguette.
    6C2C1229-5E08-4AF7-AEA0-8A71C6BE3D4A.jpeg

Some pretty simple food to make, but nice on a cold winter evening.

Last edited:
    BTW, for the foodies out there, I've been trying out the "Made In" line of pots/pans. Very nice! (And at a fraction of the cost of other 5 ply steel cookware.) Very impressed thus far.

BTW, for the foodies out there, I've been trying out the "Made In" line of pots/pans. Very nice! (And at a fraction of the cost of other 5 ply steel cookware.) Very impressed thus far.
    Your stock pot looks great. Must be very popular, almost all items on their website have a waiting list.

I thought a new nom nom nom thread was in order.

So to kick it off, here’s some Potato and Bacon soup...

Start out with 1/2 pond of diced, thick cut bacon (and who doesn't like bacon, eh?)View attachment 6994414
    Once the bacon has been almost browned/crisped, add in a mirepoix ( two carrots, three stalks of celery and half a large onion) and two cloves of garlic (minced). Cover and cook until softened.
    View attachment 6994415
    Once softened, add 1/3 cup of flour (about 5 tbsps) and cook to a golden color.
    View attachment 6994416

Once the mirepoix has reached the desired color, slowly whisk in 4 cups of chicken stock (just go slowly, making a slurry, and as it thickens, whisk in more and more stock). This is key to a smooth, consistent texture. Once all the stock has been whisked in, add about 2lbs of diced russet potatoes (peeled...or not), and cover and simmer for 30mins or until potatoes are fork tender.
    View attachment 6994417

While it is simmering, tease the crap out of the local Malinois beggar, looking for any scraps of bacon that "may" have fallen on the floor. :)
    View attachment 6994418
    Once the potatoes are fork tender, throw in 2 cups of whole milk, some fresh cut scallions from the garden and salt and pepper to taste (say 1 tsp of kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper). Let the milk come up to temperature for about 2 mins.
    View attachment 6994419
    Then plate (or bowl as the case may be) and top with shredded cheddar cheese (and any bacon bits you may have) and serve with some sliced crusty french baguette.
    View attachment 6994420

Some pretty simple food to make, but nice on a cold winter evening.

Needs some cream, and butter..........

The wife and I have been on a low carb diet for awhile now. Thanks for screwing that up with the potato soup. We gotta try it! Lol it looks really good.

Well, tonight in the PMI household pot roast was on the menu.
    08C26154-CA39-411E-923A-0BF5062AB323.jpeg

Now I’m not a huge fan of pot roast, as it usually ends up dry and tasteless, but this recipe came out really well. Simple too.

Start out salt and peppering a 3.5lb pot roast and brown in a large oven proof stock pot. When browned, remove to a plate. Add 1 cup each (chopped) of onion, celery and carrots. Cook until moisture begins to release (about 3 mins). Then add 4 tbsps of butter (1/2 stick) and cook until onions are translucent. Then add 1tsp of dried rosemary (1 tbsp if fresh) and stir. Put the roast back in the pot, cover, and place in the oven at 275* for 3 hrs. Serve roast and veggies over a bed of mashed potatoes. Easy peasy. And really tasty.

I think the combo of butter and rosemary are the key. It gives the roast a moist, nutty flavor, without the overwhelming flavor normally associated with rosemary (can’t even really taste it).

This recipe is definitely in the “go to” recipe binder on the counter now.

Btw, it goes well with a nice dry red wine, and is great for a chilly, rainy evening.

Last edited:
    Nice. Im from IA originally and love a new roast recipe.
    I have a full size freezer full of IA beef from my good friend.

My ladies are deeply embedded in the local Pampered Chef movement.

It's addictive, and the foods (and eaters) benefit in both the long and short run.

It is also mandating a kitchen remodel in order to house the entire expanded household baggage train...

Oh well, it's a new fiscal year...

Greg

I broke out the cuber and cubed up 2 pig backstraps of a 150 pounder. Pulled through egg wash and floured and deep fried. Kale greens and purple hull peas from last years garden. Had a great day with family and that's what its all about.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Nice. Im from IA originally and love a new roast recipe.
    I have a full size freezer full of IA beef from my good friend.

I'm from Kansas.......my freezer is full of Nebraska beef..................tasty.......

You wanna send some of that beef out here? :) Christ almighty, the cost of beef has gone through the roof out here in California (thank God for PX privileges and shopping at the MCAS Commissary).

For those of you who have shot a deer this year, the following is the best deer burger recipe that I have ever used.

Grind deer with desired amount of fat. The fat should be 70% bacon ends and pieces and 30% beef fat.
    Once ground, put in large bowl, and put in your favorite dry BBQ rub to taste. Then shred in 1 part cheddar cheese to 1 part mozzarella cheese, to taste. MIX THOROUGHLY.

When you grill these the bacon fat forms a protective film around the burger and keeps it moist even if you cook it until well done.

Enjoy.

So I have had it.
    Whataburger has made a substitute for beef they say you cant tell the difference.

Ok scratch them off places to eat I no longer trust them. I order a hamburger I expect beef no question.

Just today on the food network was some ass sjw type calling for meatless mondays. F that salads I order has meat.

I will exempt desert, nothing else.

Tomato bisque and some grill cheese tonight with the wife and hull #2...

2E54A61A-DCF0-4585-96FE-2BC5743D3F87.jpeg

Reactions: theLBC
    First Nom Nom post of 2022. Refer to this other post in Cheese Steak Thread.

These are pics of my Pizza Bowls. I do these now as I can no longer eat regular Pizza on dough (way too high a glycemic load).

I take one of these special trays (they are lined and can withstand 400˚F for 1hr. I put in my Mozzarella, meat (Italian sausage in this case), Pizza sauce (just a drizzle as it has sugar as well), then a little oregano and a little Parmesan cheese. This, while pre-heating my toaster oven to 375˚F.

Before cooking, it looks like this:

20220111_153231.jpg

I then bake it for 15-20 min at 375˚F. It comes out like this.

20220111_155001.jpg

I then simply cut it into squares and enjoy!

So another strong cold front passing through a little ice sleet and snow. Not bad since we never lost electricity natural gass and water this time.

Last year melting snow on the grill to flush the toilet sucked.

Grabbed a brisket to cook in the oven , sacrilege I know. But wanted an excuse to run the oven.

I think brisket makes the best pot roast ever.

20220203_194845.jpg