• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

That time of year - BEANS uh-huh; pressure cooker style

NineHotel

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2017
Morrison CO
I just typed this up for some friends interested in it. Here's a nice gut warming recipe for you to enjoy on a cool fall day...

2 cups dry pinto beans (washed off)
2 strips thick smoked bacon
1 medium onion
1 jalapeno
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Fernandez mild chili powder (hanging in cellophane packets in the produce aisle)
1 tablespoon Fernandez Mexican Oregano (hanging in cellophane packets in the produce aisle)
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Salt
black pepper
a neutral oil

Warm pressure cooker on medium heat. Cut bacon into 1/2" pieces and throw in pressure cooker.
Dice onion pepper and garlic. Saute in with bacon when bacon is about half cooked. Saute about 5 more minutes. Salt the veggie mix to aid in sweating the onions. Add neutral oil as needed to aid cooking of veggies.

Add all the herbs and spices to the veggie mix. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add the beans (washed). Spread evenly in the bottom.

Add HOT water until the beans are covered + 1/2" more water above the sunken beans.

Cover, bring up to temperature, and pressure cook for 50 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes to cool/depressurize. DO NOT rapidly depressurize the cooker - this will cause the beans to rupture.

Check for doneness/tenderness/salt as needed. Repressurize and cook longer if not tender.

If possible, let sit in fridge overnight. OK to eat same day, just not as well blended of a taste.

Serving suggestion:

Spoon beans and bean juice into individual serving bowls. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh chopped onion or green onion, and a dash of hot sauce on the sour cream for color. Enjoy!

Note - the bean juice is an essential part of this dish; do not drain off and discard. Serve it with the beans.

How timely, as I happen to currently have a batch of pinto beans on the charcoal grill over some smoked hickory!

PXL_20201102_203546080.jpg

I just typed this up for some friends interested in it. Here's a nice gut warming recipe for you to enjoy on a cool fall day...

2 cups dry pinto beans (washed off)
2 strips thick smoked bacon
1 medium onion
1 jalapeno
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Fernandez mild chili powder (hanging in cellophane packets in the produce aisle)
1 tablespoon Fernandez Mexican Oregano (hanging in cellophane packets in the produce aisle)
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Salt
black pepper
a neutral oil

Warm pressure cooker on medium heat. Cut bacon into 1/2" pieces and throw in pressure cooker.
Dice onion pepper and garlic. Saute in with bacon when bacon is about half cooked. Saute about 5 more minutes. Salt the veggie mix to aid in sweating the onions. Add neutral oil as needed to aid cooking of veggies.

Add all the herbs and spices to the veggie mix. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add the beans (washed). Spread evenly in the bottom.

Add HOT water until the beans are covered + 1/2" more water above the sunken beans.

Cover, bring up to temperature, and pressure cook for 50 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes to cool/depressurize. DO NOT rapidly depressurize the cooker - this will cause the beans to rupture.

Check for doneness/tenderness/salt as needed. Repressurize and cook longer if not tender.

If possible, let sit in fridge overnight. OK to eat same day, just not as well blended of a taste.

Serving suggestion:

Spoon beans and bean juice into individual serving bowls. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh chopped onion or green onion, and a dash of hot sauce on the sour cream for color. Enjoy!

Note - the bean juice is an essential part of this dish; do not drain off and discard. Serve it with the beans.

When does the blazing saddles fart contest begin...........asking for a friend.

Reactions: awonder
Y’all are making me hungry. May have to try this tomorrow after I go vote and before I get back into the woods.

Reactions: kthomas
I usually do beans in a crockpot as soon as the weather turns cooler, will see if I can adapt your recipe to that.

Yea you can use a crockpot. I'm not much of a planner so the pressure cooker is nice not having to soak the beans or cook for a long time.

Reactions: kthomas
Dried blackeyed peas, rinsed.
Soak overnight in heavily salted water.
Drain and rinse.
Place in crockpot.
Add two cans beef broth.
One can rotel tomatoes.
Water to cover peas by ~2".
Cook on LOW approx 8 hrs.
About an hr before serving, add whole jalapeno smoked sausages.

Serve with any/all: Sliced onion, sliced mators, pickled cayennes, chow-chow. Must have cornbread!

Heat oven to 435 to 450, depending on size of pan.
Heat pan (cast iron).
Add oil to hot pan, ~couple tablespoons, coat pan well.
Med to large bowl.
Corn meal (add baking power if not self rising).
Small handful of flour.
Combine.
One egg, beat.
Oil from pan.
Return pan to oven.
Buttermilk. (consistency should be much thinner than dough, thicker than cake batter).
Hand full of cracklins.
Combine well, but don't over-work.
Put it hot pan and bake til well browned.

You can other things to the cornbread if wanted like rotel tomatoes (no juice), jalapenos (in the batter or on top), corn, cheese, .....

This is genuine hillbilly food.