• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 2020 COLT PYTHON

$1300 would not be worth the dealer's time. Until the stock gets out there, if this isn't a limited run, they will be selling for a lot more.
While it’s OOS ngoa already has the listing up for 1301. I’d bet by the end of 2020 you can buy one for less than that.

Hopefully the fitment is better than their "new" Cobra .38 special. I would hold off and wait to jump on that train for the new series.

That guy is a bitch. He thinks a recessed crown is "ugly" completely missing the fact that it's a superior way to finish a muzzle to protect the end of the rifling.

He's complaining about apparent depth differences on a rollmark? A) I couldn't tell from his picture. B) who gives a shit anyway

Yeah the trigger is MIM, the round mark is from the mold ejector. BFD, you will NOT get hand finishing for the $550 - $600 street price these bring

I won't go through the rest of his retarded comments, not worth my time.

Reactions: Bender and Dan M
I’d be interested in seeing if they can even get close to that gorgeous blueing of the originals.

They still do beautiful royal blue - its subbed out.

We have this fantasy in our heads that back in the day these guns were super affordable.

Even back in their days they were expensive pieces.

The thing is the devaluation of our currency fools us.

When tradesmen were bringing home a few hundred buck a week a Python was similar in cost to a $1300 new Python.

Don't accuse Colt of gouging....blame your govt for destroying the value of your currency.

How much interest are you making on your savings account these days?

When people are willing to post on here that they just bought a Beretta and post a picture of a Turkish Canik or whatever its obvious that perceptions of quality and what it cost are fucked.

They still do beautiful royal blue - its subbed out.

We have this fantasy in our heads that back in the day these guns were super affordable.

Even back in their days they were expensive pieces.

The thing is the devaluation of our currency fools us.

When tradesmen were bringing home a few hundred buck a week a Python was similar in cost to a $1300 new Python.

Don't accuse Colt of gouging....blame your govt for destroying the value of your currency.

How much interest are you making on your savings account these days?

When people are willing to post on here that they just bought a Beretta and post a picture of a Turkish Canik or whatever its obvious that perceptions of quality and what it cost are fucked.
It’s nice to hear they didn’t scrimp on that.
They weren’t cheap back then.
Hell ruger GP100 weren’t cheap back then.

Yes, I will get a 6 inch version if the build quality is there....(...6 inch is on order)

For all the detractors out there I will say you obviously have never shot an old Python and found that special load that it liked. This wasn't a cheap gun back then and I don't expect it to be cheap now.

I had a 6" Ultimate SS Python bought new in 1991. It absolutely was the most accurate and pleasant shooting revolver I've ever owned! Using some cheap store bought 115 gr 38 special +P Federal ammo I could more often than not shoot all six rounds in a .5" group and then repeat it 2 and sometimes 3 times in a row and that's at 25 yards! It had a trigger that just made you smile every time you pulled it.

Like a dumb ass I sold it after a few years.

Given the opportunity to get another one? Hell yeah I will!... IF Colt builds it right and it shoots!

Last edited:
So far all of the reviews including those coming from Ken Hackathorn are saying that the new Python is better than the original.

They're saying the trigger is better, the action is more durable and will with stand a steady diet of magnums unlike the originals which were fragile and lost timing, the sights are better the front sight being interchangeable, the stainless is also better and stronger, and the frame has been beefed up. Modern CNC machining eliminates the need for hand fitting.

So far I'm excited about this.

One things for sure the new Python is already having an effect on the market. There are a hell of lot of original Python's for sale GunBroker right now. Seems I remember seeing 20-40 listings last I looked at Python's not 420.

20200106_011341.png

TSS had them in stock for $1331 prior to selling out. This is starting to look like it could be FK'n awesome.

Screenshot_20200105-210505.png

$1,330 is fair. I want a 4 inch barrel. Should I krylon it so the deer can’t see it, and if I scope it, should I go MOA or MIl?

on a serious note, I’m actually surprised at the price. I expected much higher than $1500 for the new Pythons.

Now if they could increase SAA production and get that price down to $1300, lol.

$1,330 is fair. I want a 4 inch barrel. Should I krylon it so the deer can’t see it, and if I scope it, should I go MOA or MIl?

Definite candidate for a "Fitz Special" treatment.........

And there it is....….

Let me ask you, what do you think a fair price for these is?

True. It would take a lot more than $1,500 to produce a modern copy of the original Python in terms of fit and finish, even if there were still people at the factory who could do it.

I took at look at a King Cobra recently. Yes the trigger is decent. But I'd buy a used Colt Trooper II (which would cost more than a King Cobra) before I'd buy a King Cobra. The difference in quality is immediately apparent in terms of manufacturing marks on the hammers, and the sharp edges on the cylinder release (which is not as textured as the old Pythons, probably to save a manufacturing step.)

Not to offend, and certainly not to cop an "I'm older and smarter than you" attitude (because while I may be the former I'm probably not the latter), but most modern US made revolvers are just not that great when compared to their predecessors. More to the point, one needs to buy a custom-shop level of revolver today to get what would have been an average Colt or Smith & Wesson back in the 70's or 80's.

Visited my Honey Hole today....

There is always this option......

P1069093.JPG

P1069094.JPG

I ended up leaving there with not only the donor receiver for my new PSR but my heart latched on to this....

P1069095.JPG

P1069096.JPG

P1069097.JPG

P1069098.JPG

P1069099.JPG

Anybody know when these will be available. I tired calling Colt and got a lot of answering machine run around, never did get a human being.

I would love to have a 4inch one. Hopefully the price will come down after they have been out for a while.

My money is that aficionados of the original will be a bit disappointed if they did a true apples to apples comparison between the two. We'll have to keep in mind that this is more of a mass production revolver, made outside of the custom shop...and since the last original Python gunsmith retired a few years ago I emphasize mass production.

It would appear that Colt is using Altamont for their laminate stocks. I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

My money is that aficionados of the original will be a bit disappointed if they did a true apples to apples comparison between the two. We'll have to keep in mind that this is more of a mass production revolver, made outside of the custom shop...and since the last original Python gunsmith retired a few years ago I emphasize mass production.

It would appear that Colt is using Altamont for their laminate stocks. I may be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

They did a great job with the 1903 reboot but I think another manufacturer is actually building those for them.

With the Python as long as its not the bastardization Browning now calls the A5 they will sell a few to the revolver people.

Still new Smith, new Colt.......it may perform, but it just doesn't have that unquantifiabe something that makes the original special to behold.

Reactions: diggler1833

So the new Pythons will be mass produced but original Pythons weren't?????

They made like 300,000 of the originals in some years they made 50,000-60,000 per year

https://www.guncollectorsclub.com/python.htm

Paying someone with talent to hand-fit is a lot different than paying someone else a lot less to slap parts together.

This is percision rifle forum where we are accustomed to dealing with manufacturers who using modern CNC machining can hold very low tolerances which eliminate the need for handfitting on the new Python and are better than manufacturing methods of old.

Reactions: Fig
This is percision rifle forum where we are accustomed to dealing with manufacturers who using modern CNC machining can hold very low tolerances which eliminate the need for handfitting on the new Python and are better than manufacturing methods of old.

I'll let you read what you just wrote again. Good thing those precision rifles are not made one at a time or in small batches by a competent gunsmith, huh?

Reactions: 88magnum
I'll let you read what you just wrote again. Good thing those precision rifles are not made one at a time or in small batches by a competent gunsmith, huh?

So don't fucking buy one. No one gives a shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot

You can say whatever you want but pretending like the old manufacturing methods are better than that of today is a crock of shit.

American Rifleman interviews the senior VP for Colt about the reported issues with the new Python.

What do you think about how the Colt VP handled the questions? I'll reserve my opinion for now. I'm curious how others feel.

I've seen a couple videos of problems with them already, Hickok45's video being the most prominent. Has to do with the cylinder intermittently failing to rotate. I still plan to buy one, but will wait until Colt irons out the problems first. It's a beautiful gun.

Got an original for $50. Love having friends that don’t know anything about guns.