• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2023 Toyota Sequoia

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Anybody have a 2023 Sequoia? My wife is going to be due for a new car within the next year or so. I’m starting my research now. I can’t find any real info on them yet, all I see online is people who are linked to Toyota telling everyone how great they are. I haven’t been able to get into one as my local Toyota dealers aren’t getting many allocations.

She’s been a Honda person since she was 15 and got an accord that went 245k we now have a 2020 passport that’s approaching 80-90k we typically will get her a new car at 150k miles which is about when we pay them off (3.5-4 years) I’d be fine sticking with another passport or a pilot, but I’ve heard people love their Toyota’s.

So does anybody have any first hand knowledge or experience with one?

Anybody have a 2023 Sequoia? My wife is going to be due for a new car within the next year or so. I’m starting my research now. I can’t find any real info on them yet, all I see online is people who are linked to Toyota telling everyone how great they are. I haven’t been able to get into one as my local Toyota dealers aren’t getting many allocations.

She’s been a Honda person since she was 15 and got an accord that went 245k we now have a 2020 passport that’s approaching 80-90k we typically will get her a new car at 150k miles which is about when we pay them off (3.5-4 years) I’d be fine sticking with another passport or a pilot, but I’ve heard people love their Toyota’s.

Do you need a suburban with 3rd row seats…because that’s basically what it is.

I would think the rav4 would be closer to a passport…

Do you need a suburban with 3rd row seats…because that’s basically what it is.

I would think the rav4 would be closer to a passport…
I will second the Toyota RAV4.
It's what works here for us and if this type of rig will work for you it'll be a fine.
brand new 2021 RAV4 XLE AWD @ MSRP in January of this year.
First ever foreign compact car purchase.
Lifted 2 inches with springs and rims added 265/45x17 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s
MPG with the big tires is right at 29/30 and with the stock tires about 35/36.
We like this little car.
Its the small side but for the mileage we can deal with it.
Its no stump jumper/ditch crawler but that's what the 1977 Ford highboy does well.
IMG_3166.jpeg

IMG_3181.jpeg

I will second the Toyota RAV4.
It's what works here for us and if this type of rig will work for you it'll be a fine.
brand new 2021 RAV4 XLE AWD @ MSRP in January of this year.
First ever foreign compact car purchase.
Lifted 2 inches with springs and rims added 265/45x17 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s
MPG with the big tires is right at 29/30 and with the stock tires about 35/36.
We like this little car.
Its the small side but for the mileage we can deal with it.
Its no stump jumper/ditch crawler but that's what the 1977 Ford highboy does well.
View attachment 8033980
View attachment 8033984
Sonic, how does the RAV4 handle with the BFGs?

Other than the mileage, it's just like the stock tires.
That little four banger will struggle just a bit.
The differentiation that you're going to find in the efficiency (MPG)
Passing power and what not we don't find a bigger tires a hindrance in those regards.
On grades and while passing the vehicle will typically shifted to a lower gear than used with the stock tires
With that being said the bigger tires are gonna work that little four banger and the transmission/transfer case harder than running the stock size tires.
The added stress on the drivetrain components due to the larger tires is yet be evaluated with more miles.
We have modified all manufacturers recommended service intervals for engine oil, transmission fluid, and transfer case oil due to the added stress of pulling the larger heavier weight tires.
Keep in mind the recommended oil for these new and improved engines is
1672435371932.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Earnhardt
I drove one at a promo deal in the bass pro parking lot a few weeks ago. It was the loaded trd hybrid setup I think. It was impressive all around, and when we get back into the market in a few years, I could say these would be on the list. Only gripe, was the Jetsons style "engine noise". I'm a v8 guy, and 6's just don't sound like v8 at all, especially with more open intake which I think this had on it. The camera stuff was awesome, front and rock crawl views etc. Cabin was way quiet, seats were comfortable.

I drove one at a promo deal in the bass pro parking lot a few weeks ago. It was the loaded trd hybrid setup I think. It was impressive all around, and when we get back into the market in a few years, I could say these would be on the list. Only gripe, was the Jetsons style "engine noise". I'm a v8 guy, and 6's just don't sound like v8 at all, especially with more open intake which I think this had on it. The camera stuff was awesome, front and rock crawl views etc. Cabin was way quiet, seats were comfortable.
Crap that's one bitch I forgot to add.
However with the roaring tinnitus I have buzzing in my head 24/7 the engine noise hasn't really affected me in a manner that is detrimental to the driving experience.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mahlv
Not with the Sequoia per say but I had a couple of 22 Tundras with the same engine go down on us this week. Both had the same issue. Engines lost all the oil after it was shut off. But its pretty rare for us to see any major go wrong with Toyotas.

The rav4 is too small. That’s closer in size to a CRV from Honda, we both hated the CRV. I’m 6’4” and barely get comfortable in the Passport.

My wife is currently 5.5 months pregnant with our first kid and we plan on having at least 1, possibly 2 more, ideally we’d get a vehicle with a 3rd row so we have enough space for 2 car seats and all the shit that goes along with them.

I’m almost debating a 1500 series crew cab pickup.

The wife buys and sells antique furniture on the side so cargo space is a concern, with safety for mom and baby being my main concern

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Not with the Sequoia per say but I had a couple of 22 Tundras with the same engine go down on us this week. Both had the same issue. Engines lost all the oil after it was shut off. But its pretty rare for us to see any major go wrong with Toyotas.

What kind of mileage were on them? Freak thing or is that a common occurrence? I haven’t read anything about that specifically before.

Reactions: Ronws
you dropping the coin for the A/C cooled heated and vented seats?
buddy has a 2022 Toyota Sequioa, NICE ride. they dropped 65k.. for a limited.. Platinum was 75K

Edit - 2001 V6 toy highlander, had 350,000 miles on it, engine and tranny running strong. Nothing wrong with it, it did need the knock sensor replaced
2002 V8 toy sequioa, hit 304K miles, engine and tranny strong. starter and struts replaced at 250K
dad's V6 1999 Toy Camary, 375K before it got rear ended.
Sequioas are tanks.. if you don't mind the 18 MPG....
I'd look at Toy Highlander Hybrid,, 35 MPG and has a lot of room.

Last edited:
Maybe shop for a 2022, might be some deals out there

• The 2023 Sequoia is much more powerful and should also get better fuel economy.
  • Towing is also way up, and the interior is modernized.
  • But the 2023 model loses the 2022's independent rear suspension and roll-down hatch glass, and has much less room inside.

What kind of mileage were on them? Freak thing or is that a common occurrence? I haven’t read anything about that specifically before.
22-25K miles. These are fleet vehicles. Both trucks are out of West Texas, Eastern NM. I don't know how common it is, but I just found it odd.

You mention you will be ready for a new vehicle in a year or two, that's going to be a really long time as the market goes, it's very hard to predict what prices and availability and models will be then.

The Toyota dealers have been pretty crazy about marking stuff up to insane levels and good luck if you try to order one, they'll take your money and who knows when / if you will get it.

Since you (like I used to be) are very used to Hondas, I'd suggest seriously looking at the 2022 Pilot they are available at under MSRP

A year or two from now, things may look very different on the landscape.
If you only have 80k or so on your one now, it might be worth seeing what the value is on it and how much to go ahead and jump to something like a 2022 pilot right away. Often sub 100k tends to have a nice value bump over what it is once it gets over 100k

Nothing wrong with going with the Toyota version, but you might want to look around at actual availability and actual prices before you get too stuck on that model.

I was also thinking about getting one, talked to someone today who was driving one and has put about 10K miles on it. 14mpg and the third-row seat is useless for anyone over 10 years old. I think I'm sticking with the Tahoe until Ford makes the Excursion again. I should have never sold mine. But it was super nice and plenty room everywhere else.

I have a 2004 Sequoia with over 310k miles. The only problem with mine is that I have to replace the rear latch every 2 or 3 years because dirt seeps in from drives on mountain roads and rifle range access roads. And because of that issue, I can't raise/lower the back window. But love the power of the V8 for acceleration to enter traffic on highways and love the traction on rough mountain roads. I removed the third row and one of the second row seats to make room for gear and overnight sleeping on the range or hike/backpack trail head.

Reactions: babyguppy
Sequoia if you need the space, think Chevy Tahoe/Yukon. RAV4 & Highlander’s are more of the crossover type unibody SUV, nothing wrong with those, just shitty ground clearance without mods. 4Runner’s are body on frame construction, kind of a in between size with the Highlander and Sequoia.

Highlander or 4Runner is going to be closest in to the passport & pilot class of suv. I’m one of those Toyota fan’s, wife had a RAV4, currently drives a Tacoma. The extended family has 1 or 2 in the driveway since I can remember. The Rav was a great rig, shitty mileage with the 4 banger and awd, but stable in pretty much all road conditions up here in AK. That said, my personal favorite is the 4Runner. My old man had one that rusted to the ground (MN rock salted roads) around the engine/drive train at 340k still going strong with only fluids/brakes/tires changed, timing chain at 150k. Toyota‘s carry the Toyota buy-in, but resale value is also higher for comparable other brand vehicles.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
You mention you will be ready for a new vehicle in a year or two, that's going to be a really long time as the market goes, it's very hard to predict what prices and availability and models will be then.

The Toyota dealers have been pretty crazy about marking stuff up to insane levels and good luck if you try to order one, they'll take your money and who knows when / if you will get it.

Since you (like I used to be) are very used to Hondas, I'd suggest seriously looking at the 2022 Pilot they are available at under MSRP

A year or two from now, things may look very different on the landscape.
If you only have 80k or so on your one now, it might be worth seeing what the value is on it and how much to go ahead and jump to something like a 2022 pilot right away. Often sub 100k tends to have a nice value bump over what it is once it gets over 100k

Nothing wrong with going with the Toyota version, but you might want to look around at actual availability and actual prices before you get too stuck on that model.

We weren’t crazy about the pilot, it drives like a minivan, the wife likes to drive something with a little bit of height to it. We actually preferred the way a passport looks vs a pilot as well.

We both need and want a larger SUV, than our current passport. A highlander is a lateral move in terms of size and a rav4 is smaller. The way pricing is now the difference between a 4Runner and the sequoia isn’t that great, so for a few thousand extra, we’d take the sequoia.

There were some internet rumblings of Honda making a full size (Tahoe/Yukon/sequoia) suv to compete in that market but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that’s true.

I just wanted to see if the positive stuff I’ve read is true from an unbiased source. That way I can decide if it’s worth looking into further for a potential purchase or if I need to start looking elsewhere.

The sequoia for us checks 95% of the boxes.

I was also thinking about getting one, talked to someone today who was driving one and has put about 10K miles on it. 14mpg and the third-row seat is useless for anyone over 10 years old. I think I'm sticking with the Tahoe until Ford makes the Excursion again. I should have never sold mine. But it was super nice and plenty room everywhere else.

14 mpg is with the regular 5.7 or the 5.7 hybrid?

The sequoia for us checks 95% of the boxes.
Sure you've looked but an Autotrader search 2020-22 ( for V8 engine ) under 15K miles returned 74 results, several under 7K miles at $65-70K.

We are looking at the new Sequoia as well....possibly late next year or 2024.
Our first Sequoia was an 07 sold it with 150K miles - Never went into the shop for anything
Our current Sequoia is a 2015 with 120K miles - Never ben into the shop, but I did replace a headlight bulb a month ago.
Wife absolutely loves this vehicle!
I do all my own oil changes and basic maintenance and the only gripe I have is the damn skidplate on our current model...what a pain in the ass to take off to do the oil change. It's a 2 beer job.

Reactions: FWoo45
Any Sequoia will run 350k miles if you change the oil. Super reliable. The V8s haul ass, fast, much more fast and way better ride than my Yukon or Tahoes. My favorite model years are the the 2008 range in terms of large size, it seems like they started shrinking after that. They are hard to find used, cause no one sells a good 4wd sequoia. Frankly, given that they are pretty much bullet proof and run 350k miles, I don't buy new ones because even with 100k miles on them, they are just getting warmed up. And this is coming from a lifelong Ford Chev GMC guy. If I was buying something for the wife thats Toyota I would look for a several year old Highlander, let someone else take the depreciation hit, as the Sequoias are pretty big for many women in terms of driving comfort and confidence and parking.

2010 w/ 270K miles. Full synthetic only every 6-7k miles. Never changed plugs, timing or any of that shit. Still running awesome, knock on wood. Will likely get the ‘23 after 1-2 yrs in the field.

I'm a big Toyota fan, I can't speak for the Sequoia but I own 2 Tundra's and my wife has owed a few Rav 4's. One of my trucks I bought in 2007, it
now has over 400k miles on it and has been a work truck for all that time. The only major repair was a transmission around 350K. It's been an outstanding truck. I currently own a 2019 Tundra Limited and it's been trouble free as well and it has over 90k on it right now. It looks and drives like new. My wife drive a Rav 4 Hybrid and that damn thing gets 34-35 mile to the gallon. We've had no problems with it either its also a 2019 and her previous Rav 4 we had no problems with either. Unlike the Ford trucks I used to by they were broken down all the time with major repairs. I won't own another! Good luck the Sequoia's are really nice but expensive. I'm guessing they'll drink a lot of fuel. My trucks get 12-14 on a good day!

2010 w/ 270K miles. Full synthetic only every 6-7k miles. Never changed plugs, timing or any of that shit. Still running awesome, knock on wood. Will likely get the ‘23 after 1-2 yrs in the field.

I would love to see those plugs. They have to be eroded away to nothing. Even the best stuff is well worn at 100k. I'll bet you have no idea how crappy it's running right now, and it will idle way smoother with some plugs and wires.

I did see some come out of a Chevy van with 300k that were stock. The strap had been eroded all the way back to the threads, and the electrode was down in the porcelain. It had been firing to the body so long it had eroded it all out also.

I was really impressed the coils could still fire the damn things. It ran, didn't feel too bad, until I changed them and realized how rough it was before.

I mean, is $80 in spark plugs every 100k going to break the budget?

Toyota owners do tend to ignore all the problems their vehicles have until they flat out won't move though. Then they tell everyone "they're great, they never need work!"

I was in a similar situation. I went with a 2020 Sequoia Certified used. I trust the 5.7 platform a lot more than the new 6 cyl turbo. I’m sure Toyota will have it running like a top in a few years but there have been issues with the Tundras. Also, the interior space is a lot larger in the 2nd gen Sequoia vs 3rd gen. Look it up but the hybrid battery under the 3rd row takes up a lot of space.

Reactions: chiroz
what chevy man said
pull 1 plug, look at it. I got $$ says you buy 8 new plugs at 5.00 a piece and the gas mileage you gain will pay for the plugs in about 4 fillings.

2002 Sequioa -
purchased from friend with 286,000 miles. I asked them when they changed the timing belt, they looked at me funny and said they never did.
I changed it. The belt looked brand new. I kept it just to show friends (I should send it to Toyota CEO and thank him). They were meticulous when it came to changing the fluids.
granted, people forget, rubber ages, so even if you don't drive it, the rubber keeps aging. Hell, look at tires... buy a new set and park them in the AZ sun for 3 years, see what happens to them.

I would love to see those plugs. They have to be eroded away to nothing. Even the best stuff is well worn at 100k. I'll bet you have no idea how crappy it's running right now, and it will idle way smoother with some plugs and wires.

I did see some come out of a Chevy van with 300k that were stock. The strap had been eroded all the way back to the threads, and the electrode was down in the porcelain. It had been firing to the body so long it had eroded it all out also.

I was really impressed the coils could still fire the damn things. It ran, didn't feel too bad, until I changed them and realized how rough it was before.

Toyota owners do tend to ignore all the problems their vehicles have until they flat out won't move though. Then they tell everyone "they're great, they never need work!"
but they do say 100K plus ;)
plugs

Does Toyota still make a V8? I thought I read somewhere they were discontinuing it.

Ok. Thanks. It seems to idle just fine. Seems to accelerate and run fine. Gas mileage is a crappy as ever. 13 city and 16-18 highway. Been that way forever. I will probably change them out then. I’ll get a pic when I do and see how big the gap is and ugly they look 🤣

Does Toyota still make a V8? I thought I read somewhere they were discontinuing it.
Someone told me the 5.7L V8 they use(d) in the Sequoias and Tundras was supposedly one of the best designs of all times. Not sure where they credit that to.

Bro it’s a Honda keep it and save your money….mine is at 408k and still going strong

I heard that they are having problems with the new turbo engines in the Tundras (and others?) going into limp mode. Then the turbos are on the back of the engine and a bitch to work on?

Has Toyota resolved this?

I have considered replacing my 2012 Tundra with 5.7 with a new one, but don't want to drop 60K on a paperweight, and the 2012, while having a few issues, is just getting broken in with 160K miles.

I heard that they are having problems with the new turbo engines in the Tundras (and others?) going into limp mode. Then the turbos are on the back of the engine and a bitch to work on?

Has Toyota resolved this?

I have considered replacing my 2012 Tundra with 5.7 with a new one, but don't want to drop 60K on a paperweight, and the 2012, while having a few issues, is just getting broken in with 160K miles.
I always try to avoid any new engine regardless of manufacturer. They all seem to have problems the first year or two after roll out. I loved the 5.7 Toyota but right now I’d lean towards a GM or Ford since they both still offer a proven v8 with less to break. The little 5.3 GM motor is pretty good on fuel with the 10 speed transmission. You can get one right now without dfm because of chip shortages which is a bonus.

Reactions: DIBBS
Last month when I took my Land Cruiser in for some work, the only new car that wasn't presold on the lot was a new 2023 Sequoia, but it was a demo. I went over and looked at it as I had time to waste.

The thing sits as low to the ground as a Porsche 911. Off road capable? Yeah, if you want to rip the air dam off and half the suspension out the first time you take it off road.

Might as well just get this Toyota...

IMG_20220523_124833134~2.jpg

FYI - the 5.7 V8 is designed and built to be a true 300K mile engine with just routine and regular maintenance. And the older Sequoia was rated at the top of the 10 most reliable vehicles. The other two on the list was the Land Cruiser and Tundra, also with the 5.7 V8's.

Last edited:
Reactions: CE1371 and DIBBS
Last month when I took my Land Cruiser in for some work, the only new car that wasn't presold on the lot was a new 2023 Sequoia, but it was a demo. I went over and looked at it as I had time to waste.

The thing sits as low to the ground as a Porsche 911. Off road capable? Yeah, if you want to rip the air dam off and half the suspension out the first time you take it off road.

Might as well just get this Toyota...

View attachment 8035183

FYI - the 5.7 V8 is designed and built to be a true 300K mile engine with just routine and regular maintenance. And the older Sequoia was rated at the top of the 10 most reliable vehicles. The other two on the list was the Land Cruiser and Tundra, also with the 5.7 V8's.

I just spent 5 hours at a Toyota dealership trying to get a normal version of the above. It checked my boxes - plus 36 mpg. Also unobtainium. Wanted 9K over sticker, 1 K non-refundable deposit and 3 month wait....bye bye.

Just put a deposit on a Rav4 Off Road. MSRP. Build date is mid-late January with a deliver date of late February/early March. I'm expecting mid to late March.

They just took in a 2022 w/ 6000 miles and I was able to test drive it. They wanted the same price as the new 2023 I put the deposit on. I thought that MSRP and no dealer fees wasn't too bad in this market.

Pics of the used one I drove. Identical to the one I put deposit on. They had near zero inventory of any kind of new Toyota. The ones they did have were already bought.

IMG_0667.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg

Reactions: DIBBS
Over a year ago I put a deposit down and pre-ordered the 2022 Toyota Sienna Woodland Edition (AWD with a lift kit from the factory and tow package and 1500w inverter etc.) They wanted 3k over MSRP

I'm pretty sure they just told me it never came in so they could sell it for like $15k over MSRP to somebody else.

Still over a year later nothing, no news.

• Sad
Reactions: babyguppy
It's not a pre-order. It's an allocation they already have on the books. I didn't 'deal', this is their asking price. They have no dealer handling at this dealership and I've purchased several new Toyotas, including my current Tacoma, form them over the years. They have a solid reputation in our area.

Cars.com
Not sure why people keep going to local dealers getting bent over and picking through scraps or waiting months for what they want. I’ve bought my last 3 cars online from private sellers to dealerships. Carmax has the best deal. Return no questions asked within the week. They may have even extended that to a month but not sure. They definitely fix anything you find wrong in the first month. Prices are a little steeper than some other dealers but may be worth it.

Toyota Tundras are being reported with a lot of issues as of recently. I say get the Silverado Sierra and don’t look back.

Watch this video by Savagegeese. The new Sequoia is great if you're going to be upgrading it to be an off-roader. But when it comes to large suv's and 2022 expectations, the competition does it better, especially with regard to ride comfort.

For large SUV's I'd probably go with GM to be honest. I would love to get a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge product (Jeep Grand Wagoneer) but their quality is almost as bad as Ford, who by the way had the most recalls in 2022. I have a 2021 Highlander and a 2022 Rav 4 Prime, girlfriend has the new CR-V, and I'm hoping to get the 2024 Tacoma. I'm a Toyota fanboy but I would honestly say skip the Sequoia, unless again, you're going to build it out into an off-roader / overlanding rig. Either go up for the Tahoe or Yukon if you need a large SUV, or go down to the Highlander or Rav4 if you don't to haul around 8 people. Here are some great overlanding / offroading builds to inspire you if you plan on upgrading your sequoia:

Reactions: navynambu

I remember why I declined changing them now. Called the shop today and they quoted $776 for the change. Only $211 was labor. $64/plug. I probably thought I’d just do it myself and then forget.

I had a 2007 Tundra and a 2008 FJ. I loved both of them. Had about 86000 on the FJ and 146000 on the Tundra.
Neither one was ever in the shop for a manufacturing issue. The field rats, for some reason, love the wiring in the FJ.
I sold the FJ and traded in the Tundra and bought a ridgeline rtl/e.

I remember why I declined changing them now. Called the shop today and they quoted $776 for the change. Only $211 was labor. $64/plug. I probably thought I’d just do it myself and then forget.
$776 for the change
HOLY SHIT......
zone has the iridium for 15 -20 dollars..
  • *Tip*: Be sure to check to see if there are platinum or iridium spark plugs available for your vehicle.
  • *Iridium* spark plugs can last up to 120,000 miles!
or buy some from the dealer (online) for 17.00 Crazy stuff