• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2024 Elk Draw - help appreciated

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
Anyone with experience? This is my first time applying for out of state hunts.

Looking at NM, any units y’all would recommend?

Willing to go to other states as well. Really don’t have any idea where to start. Colorado, Utah, Nevada, montana, wyoming?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well NM closes today so you pretty much waited until the last moment....
The Gila units are good

If you want to hunt elk in NM, you need to think archery or muzzle loader. Rifle tags have very low draw odds, especially for non-residents. The state has one of the best lottery systems though in that its a completely random draw. Everyone has a shot every year, no preference points.

What kind of hunt do you want? If you want to rifle hunt, dont want to backpack a ton of miles, want a decent shot at a big bull and more importantly a good experience where you might see more elk than hunters in CO just start putting in for points. Several years down the road start worrying about what units are available for the points you have and go from there. There are half decent units in the 3 point range if you want to hunt hard and the quality units start at around 10. The true trophy units are 20 plus points these days so if you want those hopefully you are young. They'll probably be 30+ points by the time you get there

I apply for a three point unit and its a crapshoot year to year on how many other dudes I see. I go to about the nastiest country in the unit and kill elk consistently but its no dream packing them out typically. Have friends with horses but they cant really get in there without risking injury so I dont ask.

Reactions: Downtown
I hunt CO as I have a lot of years there and get a resident tag (read, $60).

The CPW suck horrible and are more about the $ from OOS tag sales and other hunter generated revenue for the CO bean counters than good hunts and proper wildlife management.
Liberal fools have run it for some time and it shows.

I hunt there because it works for me.
Not because its great by any means.

A thought for the OP,
Most experienced hunters that have located decent spots really don’t want more guy’s hunting it. So take any suggestions with a grain ( or cup ) of salt.
SOP is to say how bad it is where you hunt and how good it is every where else 😂

I have hunted big game in 6 states and always had a great time and even brought home some nice animals.
IMHO the only shortcut to putting in time, learning an area and a states regs is to drop some $$ and hire a guide.

PS this isn’t directed at anyone posting here, just a perspective for the op to consider.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Yeah I went ahead an applied for what units I thought would be good choices!
I know exactly what area I wanted. Have friends who have lived there for over 20 years. Did draw cow elk one time, plus have hunted deer with them quite bit, so I'm very familiar with the area. Problem is drawing bull elk tag I want, very low odds for non resident.

Just pay for a year of Go-hunt or use Toprut if you already have on-x. You can pretty much take the draw odds as a large poll on what everybody thinks are the best units then decide where your smartest plays are.

At this point it can be a serious long term and expensive investment and a guy really needs to run the numbers on what his odds actually are. Starting in states like Utah right now there is a good chance you could apply for the rest of your life and never draw depending on what unit your after.

Reactions: WoobieJ
AZ San Carlos and White Mountain Apache tribes have trophy hunts with trophy prices.