• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

204 18" or 20" barrel anyone?

KamronG7

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2020
Missouri
I have a Ruger Predator in 204 with the 22" barrel. I only shoot this gun suppressed and it is strictly a coyote hunting rig. I have been contemplating chopping a few inches off of the barrel for running the suppressor. I know that the 204 is special because of its speed. Is there anyone that is running a 204 with an 18" or even a 20" barrel? If so, how do you like it and what speeds are you still getting?
Thanks

I shot a 20" 204 with 39 grain SBK's over Benchmark for a few years. If I remember correctly, I was getting about 3550 with that setup. It worked well suppressed and was easy to carry and handle as a varmint/predator rifle. I've since replaced that barrel with a 22" tube and also switched bullet/powder combos so I don't have an apples to apples comparison of 20" vs 22".

FWIW, using a 7" titanium can, I don't feel handicapped with the 22".

Reactions: KamronG7
I shoot a 19” 20 practical (20-223 rem), so slightly less capacity than a .204. Pushing 39 bk/40 bt at 3550. Built this well before I had any suppressors, and it worked great. Still truckin, now suppressed, and I love it.

I have a 20” howa that shoots 32gr Hammers @3900. Haven’t tried any other bullets but it works for me.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was really trying to talk myself into cutting it down to 18” but sounds like I should atleast stay around the 20” mark. The 22” suppressed isn’t too bad, just thought it would be nice to shorten it up a little.

I have a 20" 20 Tactical. With 32gr VMax I'm getting around 3900 fps with a healthy load of H-322.

I"ve tried all different lengths with a 223 and I've pretty much settled with myself that, unless I have a real need for something short, I no longer go below 20" . Capacity is similiar to a 204 so I would think a 204 to act about the same. Velocity seems to take a major hit below that length. I also find rifles obnoxiously loud below that length as well when not running suppressed.

Sounds like 20” is the minimum I would want to go. That’s if I can talk myself into only getting 2” cut off. Thanks everyone

Sounds like 20” is the minimum I would want to go. That’s if I can talk myself into only getting 2” cut off. Thanks everyone
Yeah, TBH, if it were me, I'd leave it alone. Wait until it's time to replace the barrel, and then just order a 20" replacement. I have a 23" 17 Mach IV barrel that I have contemplated cutting back (and I have a lathe), but every time I think about setting up for it, I magically find something else that is a higher priority.

Yeah, TBH, if it were me, I'd leave it alone. Wait until it's time to replace the barrel, and then just order a 20" replacement. I have a 23" 17 Mach IV barrel that I have contemplated cutting back (and I have a lathe), but every time I think about setting up for it, I magically find something else that is a higher priority.

Thanks for the advice. I will just leave it at the 22”. I have shorter barreled AR’s if I ever want to take a gun with a shorter barrel. I appreciate all the responses! Helps make my decision a whole lot easier

In a month my 18inch 20 practical barrel should be showing up. I'm willing to give up some fps on this rig to have less overall length with a suppressor.

In a month my 18inch 20 practical barrel should be showing up. I'm willing to give up some fps on this rig to have less overall length with a suppressor.
That was my initial thoughts. You will have to let us know how you like and the speeds you are getting once you get to put some rounds through it.

I took these screenshots from info saved several years ago on a Caldwell chrono ballistic app I have on my phone. These were 32gr & 40gr Hornady factory loads shot from an 18” Wilson Combat AR barrel. That may not be the most reliable chrono - it didn’t cost much - and I hardly ever use it and I don’t reload so can’t say how reliable the data is but thought I’d throw it in the mix....

5110FF5B-1175-4B4E-BBC3-891C499C3005.png
C45441B5-6395-4DDD-AB7B-DB1CD840B756.png
5E18FEC8-46C5-49BB-A2D2-B0608EA0E18C.png

Also there was a blog post by Bulberry Barrel Works several years back and i can’t find a link anymore as looks like they revamped their website. Anyhoot he took a long .204 barrel and did one of those tests where he shot a group and then sawed an inch off the barrel - from like 28” all the way down below 16”. IIRC 23” resulted in just about as much speed as the longer lengths. Doesn’t seem like there was a significant drop-off until the 18”-20” range, and below 18” it was significant. I remember wishing my WC barrel was 20” (and threaded!) that seemed to be the sweet spot, at least for my needs in the AR platform. I’m remembering this from 4-5 years ago so don’t hold me “exactly” to this....

Also there was a blog post by Bulberry Barrel Works several years back and i can’t find a link anymore as looks like they revamped their website. Anyhoot he took a long .204 barrel and did one of those tests where he shot a group and then sawed an inch off the barrel - from like 28” all the way down below 16”. IIRC 23” resulted in just about as much speed as the longer lengths. Doesn’t seem like there was a significant drop-off until the 18”-20” range, and below 18” it was significant. I remember wishing my WC barrel was 20” (and threaded!) that seemed to be the sweet spot, at least for my needs in the AR platform. I’m remembering this from 4-5 years ago so don’t hold me “exactly” to this....

I actually came across this article not too long ago and thought it was very interesting. Maybe cutting it down to 18” isn’t such a bad idea after all.

My next question, if I decide to get the barrel cut and threaded who would you all recommend? I live in Missouri about hour and a half East of Kansas City. But I wouldn’t mind shipping it off to get it done. I would much rather spend a little extra to make sure it’s done right rather than trying to save a few bucks.

I took these screenshots from info saved several years ago on a Caldwell chrono ballistic app I have on my phone. These were 32gr & 40gr Hornady factory loads shot from an 18” Wilson Combat AR barrel. That may not be the most reliable chrono - it didn’t cost much - and I hardly ever use it and I don’t reload so can’t say how reliable the data is but thought I’d throw it in the mix....

View attachment 7243668View attachment 7243669View attachment 7243670

These numbers are pretty interesting and doesn’t look like a huge drop off on speed. Thank you for sharing!

Reactions: fanninland
Great info guys, once I get my rifle running and in the field I won't be surprised if I wish it had a 17 or even a 16inch barrel.

Pretty old forum, but wondering what everybody found the difference in sound suppressed is from 22” to 20” to 18”. I cut a 22” 223 down to 16.5” and it was a mistake, even suppressed it was loud. Now trying to determine if there will be major difference between 18 and 20 that I should just go to 20” for optimal sound suppression.

Pretty old forum, but wondering what everybody found the difference in sound suppressed is from 22” to 20” to 18”. I cut a 22” 223 down to 16.5” and it was a mistake, even suppressed it was loud. Now trying to determine if there will be major difference between 18 and 20 that I should just go to 20” for optimal sound suppression.
I shot varmints with a 19” 20 Practical for years. Used a tbac ultra 7. Worked for me.