• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 204 how far

s-xander

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
nw ohio
what is the most effective range (in general ) in the 204 cal.
the reason im asking is im thinking of switching from 22- 250 to 204 for coyote hunting can it reach out to 500 yrds and still kill a dog on impact

Re: 204 how far

I was shooting a DPMS w/ a 24" bull barrel 12 twist. With the 40 grain Vmax's I have taken coyotes out to 322 yards. Most guys are shooting the 35 Bergers with great results. But I do not know anyone who is stretching it out to 500. I had a few bullets, 32 Vmax's, splash on coyotes at 200 to 235 yards. No blood trail and I tracked them well over a mile before realizing that the two definitely survived the hit. After this I switched up to the 40's and limited myself to 350 yards.
I have since sold the rifle and I have switched to the 6X45. The rifle is still at the smiths. And the wait is killing me!

I would not shoot at a coyote with a 204 over 300 yards out and preferrably much closer.

definetly stick with the 22-250 for coyotes if you need faster follow up shots get a muzzle break, if you think you need more power just turn it into an 22-250 ackley.

just my .02cents

i thank all for the replies but i have been wanting a 204 for some time now i just thought the wife would make me part ways with a or some of my other boom sticks but being im just too smart for my wife i knew if i bought her some thing i could buy me something (and the plot thickens)she has been bitching about the old tredmill so i went out and bought her a new one (genius i know ) so out of pure quilt she told me to just go buy the damn gun (LOL)so i decided to go with the rem xr-100and if i knew how to post pics on here i would show it off
life is good
grin.gif

I have also had blow ups on coyotes. Both were about 150 yards. The first was with a 35gr Berger and the second a 39gr Blitzking. I now only use it for gophers. My 22-250 or 6.5-284 gets the nod for coyotes now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LDA338UM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smart,i will have to try that one. </div></div>

Right.
Buy the wife a treadmill and tell her, "Look honey, I bought you a new treadmill!" Make sure to video the response you get at your house.
smile.gif