• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 208-210 RANGE REPORT with a 308..

Asm1

Night walker
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
RBC / Gadsden AL.
asm-holsters.com
YMMV
I have used 208AMAX,210SMK,210BT with the same load of RL17 same brass,primers and Gun same range for hundreds of rounds and different weather conditions,all three shoot within each other for come ups at 565 yards and 1K ,I could load one of each and group shoot at 9.5 mills at 1k.

Now I have some 210 VLD burgers and the same parts as above with the same come up at 565,but I loose .3 mill at 1k that's over 10" more drop than any of the other 3..

I used the .631BC ob the burger box and it does not come out correct I called the burger tech line for the multiple BC's like sierra offers,But no I didn't get anywhere with burger.

I have double check my equipment and parts scope is tracking,velocity is 2600fps range is KD conditions are form a kerstal 4500 and check it against local weather conditions.

ZERO are at 100 yards and check each shooting and again during when in question.
565@1000 yards SAWRO check against another SWARO LRF at these range's.

BC work for all ranges and conditions I have encountered except the VLD.
208 AMAX BC used .633 spot on at 565 3.9 mill
210 SMK BC used .627 spot on at 565 3.9 mill
210 BT BC used .631 spot on at 565 3.9 mill
210 VLD BC used .631 spot on at 565 3.9 mill

Now at 1000 yards same B.C.
208 AMAX 9.5 mill spot on
210 SMK 9.5 mill spot on
210 BT 9.5 mill spot on
210 VLD 9.8 mill spot on(but xball calls for 9.5 mill)

The 210 needs .3 mill more and I cant get XBALL to agree unless I put a .600BC at 0 FPS and .631 at 2600 FPS..

The VLD BC is much lower than I expected..

I get the best accuracy from the VLD the BT comes in 2nd smk 3rd and AMAX 4th..

Re: 208-210 RANGE REPORT..

BCs I derived form my 1000 yard test (4 bullets on 4 targets in a round robin):
210 BT > 0.631
210 VLD > 0.622
208 AMAX > 0.635
210 SMK > 0.627

I calculated out my drops and then used a trial-and-error to match up BCs with them in JBM. The BC for the VLD is much lower. But, the bullets I had did have HUGE metplats compared to the BTs.

I found the SMKs shot the best in my rifle. I didn't do do any load development other than working up to max. But they shot consistently smaller groups than the other bullets.

Kombayotch
I did the most development with the 208 and VLD;s ,All did well within my standards , I did put them all in the lands..

I have another lot# of VLD's on the way I will retest with the new lot and see where it is compared to VLD's I have now and back track what the B.C. is for me.

I was jumping them 0.020". The SMKs still fit in unmodified AICS mags too. The other would with the front plate removed.

Seating depth can affect velocity, but velocity was taken into account. Seating depth does nothing to change the BC. The VLD would hit lower than the other bullets when driven at the same velocity regardless of seating depth.

Bryan list the following bc in his book:

210g VLD, G1 0.631, G7 0.323
210g LRBT, G1 0.626, G7 0.320
210g SMK, G1 0.619, G7 0.316
208g Amax, G1 0.633, G7 0.324

I had a shitty lot of Berger 210 VLDs awhile back. Compared to the previous lot I had, the meplat was huge, and the ogive was a bit different. Didn't need to pull out measuring tools to see this, it was completely apparent to the naked eye.

I had to use 2 gr. more powder to get the same velocity (.300 WinMag) as the previous lot. They grouped fine, but I had to fudge the BC down to .600 to get ExBal to agree with my actual drop. The previous lot I had been using .630 BC, which concurs with Bryan's findings.

Maybe their dies were wearing out, but each lot of 210VLDs I got were a bit different (when I could even find them), and the cost of them kept going up, and up.... So I shot up those 1000 shitty ones, and switched to the 208 AMAX. They shoot just as fast, just as flat, group just as well- and are much cheaper. No brainer for me.

Not saying I'll never use Bergers again, but you can't find a more efficient bullet than the 208 AMAX, especially for the price.

Marc

marc357

I think this must be my problem as well,I do have a new lot that should be here today I will repost ASAP results when they get here ..

You should really try using a G7 bc for the bullets you are shooting. In my experience, the trajectory calculations match actual drop more accurately, more consistently, with less "adjustments". By the way, what load are you using for your testing? All of the bullets you are shooting are within a couple percent bc anyways. Shoot the one that shoots the best in you rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should really try using a G7 bc for the bullets you are shooting. In my experience, the trajectory calculations match actual drop more accurately, more consistently, with less "adjustments". By the way, what load are you using for your testing? All of the bullets you are shooting are within a couple percent bc anyways. Shoot the one that shoots the best in you rifle. </div></div>

My XBALL and Horrus chip does not allow the G7 BC value,The VLD shoots best in this rifle,But the BC is well less than the others as tested..

The load is
lapua brass
46.1 RL17
210VLD
2.216 OJ
210M

For what its worth, Berger just went through a retooling process, when they came out with their new packiging and changed their bcs around, they did something to the dies and are now in the process of going back to what the bullets were a couple of years ago, being as the new ones havent been working out so good. This is just second hand info that I got from a fellow shooter around here who stocks bergers in his store.

That's too bad that you can't support the G7 values. Since I have been using a G7, I have fired fewer shots to confirm dope and spent less time at the computer attempting to get everything to "jive". I found time and time again, that the G1 values would be on at one distance and off at another. The G7 is VERY close right out of the box, at the distances I have shot (100-1200) with MUCH less tweaking. I thought it was the Holy Grail or something like that when I used it the first time. What is your barrel length/manufacture? Speed is 2600 fps? Regardless, this is fun stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's too bad that you can't support the G7 values. Since I have been using a G7, I have fired fewer shots to confirm dope and spent less time at the computer attempting to get everything to "jive". I found time and time again, that the G1 values would be on at one distance and off at another. The G7 is VERY close right out of the box, at the distances I have shot (100-1200) with MUCH less tweaking. I thought it was the Holy Grail or something like that when I used it the first time. What is your barrel length/manufacture? Speed is 2600 fps? Regardless, this is fun stuff! </div></div>

Ditto what Mbrown ask what field program suports G7 ?

My barrel is a Shilen select match 1" BULL 26" 1/10 TWIST SPEED IS 2600fps ..

As far as I know, and that's not very far at all, the one that I have researched is the iballistic program for the iphone or ipod touch. You can find it in the online apple store. 19.99 for the field version, or 9.99 for the regular version. I'll be getting the ipod touch to run the program.

Don't know if I can help you there. Maybe check with Exbal/Perry Systems to see if they are planning an upgrade. Try jbmballistics.com. Look under the software header and you may find something else useful.

Went to JBM and used the G7 and it does the same math as I have with G1 and it still does not match the .323 G7 B.C.

the B.C. does not match these 210VLD I did get lot#2091 in today,I will run them side by side against the Old Lot# which I dont have in front of me,I hope there not the same lot# when I get home..

Maybe you got a funky lot of bullets. Nothing beats real dope. The G7 makes it a lot easier to figure out though. All of the Bergers I have shot are are within a gnats hair of predicted flight by way of JBM and G7. From light weight .243's to heavy .308's.

I have exbal and i'm getting it all setup, i'd like to use the multiple G1 values ('cause I can't use G7 with exbal), but I have no idea where to find them, does anyone here on this site know what they are? I don't want to use the .648 that Hornady lists as those of you that have real world testing have found better results with .633, if I could plug in the multiple G1 values in my exbal I hope I can get more accurate results once I start using it for real next Sunday.

Branden

Use the.633BC xball work fine for me with it set there.
Hornady can tell you there multiple BC,but .633 woks fine.

Good luck getting any multiple BC info from Burger or staff you must Buy BL's book as he told me when I ask him burger bullet co.employee for the multiple BC's for there 210 vld.

I felt like the $42.00 per100 should have come with such tech for there product?

You could also use the bc's for the 210 smk. Bergers will be better, but you can tweak the numbers after shooting.