• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

22-06?

Re: 22-06?

The .223 is my first priority. I should have a round finished once my reloading bench is organized. The .308 is next, I've decided that it's going to be a 150 gn for my Garand. No more M118LR, I can't shoot it well enough to abuse it. Then the 06. I inherted the .270 before I could start reloading for it.

Both Savages can hold cigarette packs at 200 on good days. I'm sure they shoot better on hand loads. I sank a lot into factory ammo a few years ago then "retired" from the Navy and got a real job and quit shooting for a few years. November '08 was not the time to start shooting and reloading again.

My only complaint on the Savage is the stocks are flexible. I sling in and can feel the stock flex. I end up pulling the right edge of the stock up against the barrel if I'm not careful. When things slow down and I have a few bucks I want to put it in a laminate stock.

The stocks are another issue to deal with all by themselves, but with about $20 in Home Depot materials you can make a drastic improvement in them until you can afford an upgrade.

Sounds like you have a reasonable plan to get into this endeavor, as you have questions on it there's lots here that are willing to help.

I've thought about the arrow shaft and epoxy fix. I figure if I mess up the stock I was going to buy a new one anyhow, all I'm out is supplies and what I could get for the stock on a sales forum. It's more of a not enough time deal. I seem to want to do everything at once. Like work up four calibers and re do my bench.

I don't know what folks think they're gonna buy themselves by converting a Garand to .308. Leave 'em .30-'06, just like God always intended...

Unless you've already got you a .270, go with the .280. Better bullets, otherwise; pretty much same, same... Hell; if you already got one, <span style="font-style: italic">this</span> is the rifle to rebarrel, to .280... Go with a quality barrel optimized to handle 140's (139 SST's are the ideal all-around); that's all you need to reach 1Kyd, and all you need to anchor anything short of elk and bear.

Anything you can do with a .308, you can do WAAAYYY better with a .260, but ya gotta handload.

My work here is done...

Greg, your beef with my .308 Garand goes back to Quantico and a Marine armorer who built it for a Marine Team member in 1968. I bought it as is when I started shooting High Power. I had to put a new sling on it. I inherited the .270, I might swap the scope off of it to my .30-06. My step dad put a better scope on the .270 than my .30-06 has. I think he'd understand.