• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250 Do I crimp

Johncalloway

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
I bought a set of 22-250 dies and started reloading. The dies are the forester benchrest dies. The seater die does not crimp, do I need another die for crimping? Thanks.
ps. Also how much of the bullet should I make sure is pressed into the shell. I am trying to seat it .020 thousands off my lands, but there is not much in the brass. Thanks again.

Re: 22-250 Do I crimp

No need to crimp a 22-250 unless it's a semi auto. Follow the bullet manufacturers OAL recommendations found in reloading books. Buy the "one caliber" book for 22-250, available from Midway or on Ebay.

I don't crimp- there's no need. As far as seating bullets, seat them where they shoot good. Shooting a Remington? I have one and it likes the 55gr V-maxes waaayyy out there- touching the lands. Play with it and you will find a sweet spot. Good Luck. Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnCalloway</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also how much of the bullet should I make sure is pressed into the shell. I am trying to seat it .020 thousands off my lands, but there is not much in the brass. Thanks again. </div></div>

A rule of thumb is one bullet diameter, so about .224 should be in the neck.
Note that a 300WIN MAG does not have enough neck to do this but as I said it is a rule of thumb.

well i shot my first reloads yesterday, and I am very happy. I seated the bullets .020 from the lands. I will do my 3 shot test next. I just did my ladder test and had a couple of nodes.

I crimp all my rifle loads and have had good success by crimping. I use the Lee Factory Crimp die and noticed that my groups had tightened up after crimping. All factory ammo is crimped, so why not do it?