• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22-250

Iloveguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
Arizona
Anybody have any Experience with this round? Just picked up a Rem 700 action in this caliber. Should I stick with it or change it up to a different caliber.

Re: 22-250

In my opoinion it is the best of the .22 centerfires. I think I've owned 4 or 5 of them, and will certainly own more in the future. Each of them I put together it seems I have someone who just has to have it after a year or so after they see how it performs.

Depends on your plans for it. 22-250 is a great varmint round. If all you want to do is punch paper there are better calibers out there that you can get far better barrel life out of.

Lot's of experience with it. What purpose did you have in mind when you bought it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have any Experience with this round? Just picked up a Rem 700 action in this caliber. Should I stick with it or change it up to a different caliber. </div></div>

I have 2 of them. I set one up for 40 grain BT's at 4150 fps for coyotes and the other is set up for 75 grain AMax bullets for banging on steel. Lots of fun with both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion it is the best of the .22 centerfires. </div></div>

+1

Fast, flat and very accurate. Didn't have much trouble at all finding a load it likes. I have used mine for just about everything, including 200 yd F Class shoots.

I've got a Kimber Longmaster in 22-250 and love it . When the barrel goes I'll drop the 1/14 twist for something a little faster . I want to step up to some heavy bullets to get more range out of it .

I agree with Rhys and don't think one can go wrong with a 22-250 .

Im currently building one but in Ackley Improved with a 1-8 twist. for Yotes and Pdogs

Love my 22-250 Remington 700 VS SF shoots flat,fast and super accurate right out of the box. When the barrel is out it will be chambered in 22-250 AI.

I have the model 70 coyote and love it. It was my first high power rifle and I would never let it go!!

I've had two. Great for PD's and coyotes. Mine too will get a tighter twist when the time comes to re-barrel.

I am very high on the .22-250 as a midrange shooter. The ballistics are superior to the .223 but cost is proportional to performance. With a bolt gun you won't burn through the ammo you might with a gasser so that may wash the difference. Go with what you have and sell / trade if you get bored or unhappy. Guns hold their value better than just about anything on the planet, especially if you are a gunner!

Thanks for all the info guys. Will stick with it for now see how it shoots and if I like it. Other wise Ill just sell it.

Really like mine. Hell on coyotes. Will also go with a different twist when it needs rebarreled. Kids like to shoot it also.

I have had a few over the years, and it is my favorite varmint round. If you are planning on using it on varmints I don't think there is a better 22 cal out there. If you plan on shooting paper or steel swap it off for a .223 alot cheaper to shoot!

Have my .308 for paper. This will be a good Varmint gun then. Now all I need is a hunting buddy!!!

i have to of them a new rem 700 vsf II and an old rem 788 and they are about the best varmit rifle you can get an easy coyote killin bullet out to 400 yards with enough punch to keep them down. i have even used mine to hunt deer with just gotta be careful and have good placement cause its not very forgivin on a deer

Im a big fan of the 22-250

Light Bullets

Picture819-1.jpg
Picture540.jpg

75gr Amax out of 8 twists 22" Rocks

Im building another now, Mcmillan Mountain Rifle stock, 22" 8 twist Rock Rem Mountain Rifle contour. Will be a nice light rifle.

Picture850.jpg

Picture276-1-1.jpg

You'll love it. The 22-250 is one of the most fun varmint calibers the is!

I have one in a Savage model 12 and love it...great caliber to load and the wife likes to shoot it, just wish mine had a tighter twist.

Glad to hear that everyone is really happy. The barrel is an after market. Not sure who made it. No symbols just a couple of numbers. Some one told me you can check the twist roughly with the cleaning rod by measuring a full turn and how long it takes. Anyone else ever try that? I will post pics after I pick it up on the 26th. California blows!!

That method will tell you the twist. Just mark the cleaning rod with a piece of tape and measure the distance of one revolution.

And I also enjoy the 22-250!

I've spent a bunch of time finding what mine likes as far as loads go. If you ever want to start loading for it I'll give you everthing I have learned as far as the load and the trajectory in MOA. Just Monday I did 50 yard increment targets from 200 yards to 400 yards. I don't have my notes with me right now but I remember I only had to dial in 5 MOA at 400 yards with a 55gr. SGK. Who wouldn't be happy with that?

I love my Savage model 12 in .22-250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a 7-twist and shoot 80gr VLD's to 1000. </div></div>

I got that exact gun, and launch 80's at 3200fps. Its the best gun I own. I shot it at the SH cup!

I am in awe of the one I used to own. Accuracy was very good. My only complaint is about barrel heating. It just heats up too much to be useful for match shooting cadences.

Greg

I have a 20 year old 700 BDL that shoots .5@100 with handloads. For the hell of it I decided to try Winchester 45 grn HPs from Wally World for $23 (for 40!). Also 1/2" groups!! No need to reload anymore lol!

Try H380 with 40,50,55 gr Ballistic Tips. You'll like the accuracy and destruction on Varmints. The Sierra Blitz King and Hornady V-Max also shot real good. These weapons shoot very flat and fast with very little recoil. Good Luck