• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 Ammo

Bird shot to the face? Velocitor might have the most energy.

Which .22lr round would be most painful to a threatening person?

One that has the most penetration along with expansion. Based on testing of .22lr ammo, the Winchester 36 gr HP do that quite well as does CCI Mini Mags. In pistols, I like the Winchester Hyper Speed HP. For long barrels that can produce enough speed to get good expansion of the HP, I like the Mini Mags. These two would seem to be "most" painful.

Actually have a shot shell as first in my revolver followed by 8 Velocitors. Wondering about the segmented rounds of any value, Stingers...mix different ones in. Understanding All not likely to be hits in excitement of the moment. Thanks.

Good point (always have a gun in any gun fight). I’ve actually wathed these two videos...thanks for reply.

I read the warning on the boxes and they all pretty much state they will "maim or kill".

Reactions: camocorvette
I would worry very little about most painful and be a lot more concerned about high reliability of the ammo if shooting any rimfire in self defense.

Reactions: SandFam3 and JKW70
I rely on mini mags because they function better than any 22rf I have tried and I tried them all.

if your in the mob in the 30- 60's 22 to the back of the head will make it dead hell almost anything punching through your flesh is going to hurt ever been shoot by a bb gun close range that crap hurts , but its going to take a long time to finish that person off almost like this

death with a wiffle bat lol

• Haha
Reactions: camocorvette
Got hit by a .22 once, didn’t feel a thing. Didn’t even know I was shot until I felt the wet sensation of the blood flowing. Ymmv.

I also have been hit by a .22 and it hurt like crazy. And in my case, I wasn't hit in any vital organs. Whether one feels it or not likely depends on where they're hit and their state of mind and/or level of adrenaline. Even President Reagan said he didn't know he was hit, but it was a pretty serious wound.

Even an arrow can hurt and be lethal. . . . or not. ;)

Reactions: 629-4
When we were kids, a “buddy” told me Stingers would kill the hell outa deer

Reactions: STex
Hollowpoints will cause much more damage than round nose depending on exactly how much you want to damage your target, but if you are shooting it should be to kill, not to wound and 22lr would be a last resort.

The real answer for crowd control though is a short barrel 12ga and a few drum mags full of 00buck and magnesium shavings.

Which ammo and shot placement dictates where a 22LR is most effective.

The 22 shot is loaded with Number 12 shot and would be a terrible choice unless the impact is in the eyes as there is very little energy in the light lead shot. To prove this to yourself shoot a glass "coke bottle at 10 feet , it will not have the energy needed to break the bottle. It is also stopped by clothing.

My totally unscientific recommendation if you absolutely must use deadly force is a high velocity hollow point round shot at the heart or between the eyes - after all you have decided you must use of deadly force to protect yourself or others. It may not expand but the key is shot placement.