• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 ARC

Yoteski

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Not ground breaking, but should be a fun little cartridge. Probably gonna have to spin one up eventually. Yes, I know the Valkyrie exists, but it's all but dead because of poor support originally from Federal. Was already thinking about doing a 22 BR, but having factory ammo with support from a company like Hornady will be excellent.
22 arc.jpg

Not ground breaking, but should be a fun little cartridge. Probably gonna have to spin one up eventually. Yes, I know the Valkyrie exists, but it's all but dead because of poor support originally from Federal. Was already thinking about doing a 22 BR, but having factory ammo with support from a company like Hornady will be excellent. View attachment 8255858
I wonder what barrel length they are basing those velocities off of.

My guess is 20”
My guess as well. I would think they’d be grabbing their numbers from a gas gun. Of course, this just popped up on the book of faces. I read comments that it wasn’t supposed to be released until Shot, so they may be slightly proprietary.

My guess as well. I would think they’d be grabbing their numbers from a gas gun. Of course, this just popped up on the book of faces. I read comments that it wasn’t supposed to be released until Shot, so they may be slightly proprietary.

Reactions: Yoteski
I just have a few question about this lil guy.

1. will hornady provide reloading data soon or am I going to be waiting a year while they publish a new book?
2. how long before this ammo hits the shelf?
3. how long before I can get a factory bolt gun in the caliber (CZ600, Savage, or a Ruger)?
4. I wonder if I can now use the 95 SMK with this?

I am very excited about this new caliber but I am still a little leery. I mean I wish that they did a full push of the 22CM instead of ONLY filling orders through Horizon firearms. I think the 22CM would of been a better factory option, I could of possibly bought ammo through a brick and mortar. But now, 22 ARC may be the only way I can get a modern high performance "22" from a local store.

I also feel like the 22arc will be another Valkyrie. It will be hot for about a year or two and then die out to the next shiny new caliber Hornady comes out with.

Last edited:
So what does this do any better than the 224 Valkyrie? Other than being pimped out by Hornady.
Podcast covers it. Hornady claims the Valk was too difficult to tune, especially at top end velocities. Said 22 ARC is far easier to tune and therefore can run 100 fps faster than the valk running at a lower pressure.

I will say this is much better than the 224 Valk. You can get maybe 4 firings out of 224 Valk brass.

Dang it! I just finished a Howa Mini build in 223. This would make a great complimentary rifle to my 6.5 Grendel Build.

I've been watching the Hornady podcasts pretty much since the beginning. First and foremost Hornady makes bullets. They also make ammunition but they do so to sell their bullets to those people that do not reload. They do have special powders made for them too.

Most all that work there are shooters. They compete and hunt. They have the passion.

The bottom line is that they are changing how the world sees cartridges and bullets - in real time. They've figured it out. Their thinking goes like this:

In making a better bullet they figured out that a long (for caliber) very aerodynamic bullet retains more velocity and energy for a given muzzle velocity. Dramatically so. This was a paradigm shift. They could run one of these bullets at a MV of 2750 that at 600 or so yards would fly right by a less efficient bullet of the same caliber shot with a 3000 MV. More barrel life, less recoil and MORE accuracy. Plus, they cleaned clock bucking wind.

So, they created the better bullet but had no cartridges they could fit them in. The problem was the they could not fit those bullets into existing cartridges of older design because they are so long that they don't fit in older chambers and magazines. That's were the new cartridges started.

Enter the Hornady .204 Ruger, then quickly followed by the 6.5 Creedmoor. The rest is history. Every new cartridge they develop now is based on this design philosophy, which is the only way to get those long bullets into Remington short actions, AR, etc. So, they went to SAMMI and said: here's our new cartridge. And that REALLY changed everything because SAMMI accepted their tolerances for chambers that are tighter than the old stuff as well (spelled accuracy).

There is much more to it than that but you get the picture. Hornady is leading the pack when it comes to bullets, and consequently cartridge specs.

The 22 ARC cartridge is NOT a neck downed 6mm ARC. It's different (slightly longer - slightly shorter bullets). That tells you how far they go on the details.

Talking about the 6 ARC, they also have new VT/Match bullets out right now - a new 6mm ARC 80 grain VT bullet. And it's a screamer! And almost the same length as the 108 match! They figured it out and went out and did it. This picture below shows how they did it. It took a LOT of work (over 2-years) to get the manufacturing and the balance right between the CG and the center of pressure. Look at how short the lead is compared to the brass. More than a third of the bullet is empty space! These rounds explode on contact - devastating on varmints.

1698271031146.png

For those of you that compete in PRS, the Hornady boys have been secretly loading magazines, mixing different bullet weights like this 80 grain (they were secretly testing it in real life) and the 108 grain bullets in the same magazine for stages that had short and long targets. :LOL:

Now that this is out watch everyone else follow through!

Last edited:
I hate podcast. I watched like the first 10 minutes of it and they weren't reallying saying anything to that. I have better shit to do than to watch a bunch of dudes talking about how they think they reinvented the wheel.
Oh, but they did reinvent the wheel, Jane :LOL:

I've been watching the Hornady podcasts pretty much since the beginning. First and foremost Hornady makes bullets. They also make ammunition but they do so to sell their bullets to those people that do not reload. They do have special powders made for them too.

Most all that work there are shooters. They compete and hunt. They have the passion.

The bottom line is that they are changing how the world sees cartridges and bullets - in real time. They've figured it out. Their thinking goes like this:

In making a better bullet they figured out that a long (for caliber) very aerodynamic bullet retains more velocity and energy for a given muzzle velocity. Dramatically so. This was a paradigm shift. They could run one of these bullets at a MV of 2750 that at 600 or so yards would fly right by a less efficient bullet of the same caliber shot with a 3000 MV. More barrel life, less recoil and MORE accuracy. Plus, they cleaned clock bucking wind.

So, they created the better bullet but had no cartridges they could fit them in. The problem was the they could not fit those bullets into existing cartridges of older design because they are so long that they don't fit in older chambers and magazines. That's were the new cartridges started.

Enter the Hornady .204 Ruger, then quickly followed by the 6.5 Creedmoor. The rest is history. Every new cartridge they develop now is based on this design philosophy, which is the only way to get those long bullets into Remington short actions, AR, etc. So, they went to SAMMI and said: here's our new cartridge. And that REALLY changed everything because SAMMI accepted their tolerances for chambers that are tighter than the old stuff as well (spelled accuracy).

There is much more to it than that but you get the picture. Hornady is leading the pack when it comes to bullets, and consequently cartridge specs.

The 22 ARC cartridge is NOT a neck downed 6mm ARC. It's different (longer). That tells you how far they go on the details.

Talking about the 6 ARC, they also have new VT/Match bullets out right now - a new 6mm ARC 80 grain VT bullet. And it's a screamer! And almost the same length as the 108 match! They figured it out and went out and did it. This picture below shows how they did it. It took a LOT of work (over 2-years) to get the manufacturing and the balance right between the CG and the center of pressure. Look at how short the lead is compared to the brass. More than a third of the bullet is empty space! These rounds explode on contact - devastating on varmints.

View attachment 8257283

For those of you that compete in PRS, the Hornady boys have been secretly loading magazines, mixing different bullet weights like this 80 grain (they were secretly testing it in real life) and the 108 grain bullets in the same magazine for stages that had short and long targets. :LOL:

7CC7AE53-1257-4341-A661-C0B19850B5B7.gif

Reactions: 30calDeath
Hornady just flat out gets it. Those VT bullets are what I've been wishing for -- a heavier, higher BC varmint bullet.
I really want one of these 22s, but I already have too many coyote rifles, including a 6 Grendel that I really enjoy.
I completely understand that! Sitting here with 4 22-250s available to use, makes it real hard to add another.

Anyone have or see any info on companies that will be offering the 22arc in a bolt action, LMK! I saw on hornadys website they list some companies, some I’ve never heard. But I read over 2 dozen companies are on board, but none of them were listed yet.. would really love to add this one for another coyote rifle over a 22-250

Anyone have or see any info on companies that will be offering the 22arc in a bolt action, LMK! I saw on hornadys website they list some companies, some I’ve never heard. But I read over 2 dozen companies are on board, but none of them were listed yet.. would really love to add this one for another coyote rifle over a 22-250

I looked around and only one company has announced a queue (wait list) to get the first rifles:

That said, the way Hornady schedules new product releases is like getting a Christmas catalog in July, but you can't order anything until after January. They are releasing their 2024 products now, not 2023 products. This is how they've done it for years. And here we are chomping at the bit having to wait months....

Last edited:
I looked around and only one company has announce a queue (wait list) to get the first rifles:

That said, the way Hornady schedules new product releases is like getting a Christmas catalog in July, but you can't order anything until after January. They are releasing their 2024 products now, not 2023 products. This is how they've done it for years. And here we are chomping at the bit having to wait months....
Well, I can only hope that I can get a Cz600 in a mini action.

TBH I probably wont go running to pick one up.

Anyone have the print on the case, or know where the shoulder is on this…wondering if it can be formed from Grendel brass.

I know there is a mad scramble for reamers right now. Walcroft customs in Nebraska got one coming on Monday morning. According to the manufacturer, he was already 8th in line. I can only imagine how long the line is now.

Reactions: godofthunder
I see Alpha is offering a reamer, but any word on if they will also be making brass?
Is there a link? I checked the SAAMI website and the chamber / case for the 22 ARC design are not posted yet.

Well, I can only hope that I can get a Cz600 in a mini action.

TBH I probably wont go running to pick one up.
I've been tempted by the $400 cz600 alphas, but after you shoot out a barrel, what are you going to do with it?

And the 220 Russian has been doing this 60 years now, this is just the American version

I'm curios if this'll fireform in my 22 grendel chambered ar.

Should be really close. Will probably have to wait til January for SAAMI drawings to go public. I believe it's in the ball park of .130" freebore so if you have a shorter throat factory ammo might stick on you.

Should be really close. Will probably have to wait til January for SAAMI drawings to go public. I believe it's in the ball park of .130" freebore so if you have a shorter throat factory ammo might stick on you.
That's just a seating die to fix that my man!

This shit always cracks me up. For years if you wanted something like this, you could have a 22br, 22 dasher, 22gt, 22 creed or whatever you want. Brass , dies and reamers out there.

Hornady comes out with someone and everyone freaks out like its some amazing revelation. Its going to be shit brass, pushing shit bullets and the ONLY real benefit is it fits into an AR15 mag. Like the 6 ARC, its pointless in a bolt gun unless you just like leaving performance, good dies/brass on the table.

The 22 ARC cartridge is NOT a neck downed 6mm ARC. It's different (slightly longer - slightly shorter bullets). That tells you how far they go on the details.

View attachment 8257283

With all that being said, Hornady makes some of the worst bullets of any major manufacture. They are just cheaper and do more marketing than anyone else. Their factory ammo is nothing to be impressed by, especially at the prices they go for now. At $1/rd they were ok but once the price surpassed FGMM, L O L.

Luckily for the people at hornady who shoot and have passion, there are plenty of idiots and fudds out there to buy into their bullshit. Marketing works. Please keep buying Hornady and stay away from Berger and Sierra.

Reactions: Jonathan Swift
This shit always cracks me up. For years if you wanted something like this, you could have a 22br, 22 dasher, 22gt, 22 creed or whatever you want. Brass , dies and reamers out there.

Hornady comes out with someone and everyone freaks out like its some amazing revelation. Its going to be shit brass, pushing shit bullets and the ONLY real benefit is it fits into an AR15 mag. Like the 6 ARC, its pointless in a bolt gun unless you just like leaving performance, good dies/brass on the table.
I can agree to this, 22arc bolt gun is dumb AF unless howa makes it in a mini. That's the only application I'd think of biting on. However........in an ar it does shine. The velocities advertised here from Hornadys unknown test barrel, match or are slightly higher than a 26" 223 long freebore bolt gun running 2.55" mags.

With all that being said, Hornady makes some of the worst bullets of any major manufacture. They are just cheaper and do more marketing than anyone else. Their factory ammo is nothing to be impressed by, especially at the prices they go for now. At $1/rd they were ok but once the price surpassed FGMM, L O L.

Luckily for the people at hornady who shoot and have passion, there are plenty of idiots and fudds out there to buy into their bullshit. Marketing works. Please keep buying Hornady and stay away from Berger and Sierra.
You’re just pewr sonshine most days of the weak ain’t ewe

I got into shooting rock chucks last year suppressed. My buddy has a 16" sig 556 and shoots those cheap bulk 50 or 55 grains into knotholes. (johns bullets?) 22 arc with the 62 looks great on paper for this. I have a seekins dmr that I hope to put a 18-20" with a tbac dominus for this. I am worried about the feeding though.

It’s always nice to have people come shit in a thread just to stroke their ego.
I love when someone says Hornady bullets suck and you should only shoot non GMO, grass fed Bergers. Well, as much as I love shooting Berger bullets, they’ve been virtually impossible to find for 4 years. No 105 hybrids, no 109 hybrids, no 140 hybrids. When a guy can get them, they’re about $20 over priced.
For a poor like me, I appreciate Hornady takes pity on me and offers bullets that are available and reasonably priced, even if they’re giant pieces of shit. Somehow, I’ve managed to outshoot plenty of folks running these pathetic slugs.

I love when someone says Hornady bullets suck and you should only shoot non GMO, grass fed Bergers. Well, as much as I love shooting Berger bullets, they’ve been virtually impossible to find for 4 years. No 105 hybrids, no 109 hybrids, no 140 hybrids. When a guy can get them, they’re about $20 over priced.
For a poor like me, I appreciate Hornady takes pity on me and offers bullets that are available and reasonably priced, even if they’re giant pieces of shit. Somehow, I’ve managed to outshoot plenty of folks running these pathetic slugs.
Po boys shoot the Barnes match burners! Cheap as F! And they shoot!

Well, this thread just went to shit as of exactly 6:02 PM - find the originating post at that time stamp - downhill from there. Sad state of affairs in this set of SH forums because of how often this shit happens.....

Fuck trolls! I'm outa here.

Funny I have been shooting 109s all through covid ( ordered 4000 more this week) and buddies have been running 105s for a decade. People are lazy and don't put any effort into finding them. Then they bitch about $20.....

By the time you buy all the gear, all the reloading shit, cost and time of reloading components , gas and match fees...the cost of the bullet is irrelevant. The difference between a cheap and expensive bullet is negligible. The down range performance, is not. But you do you and play the victim

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Funny I have been shooting 109s all through covid ( ordered 4000 more this week) and buddies have been running 105s for a decade. People are lazy and don't put any effort into finding them. Then they bitch about $20.....

By the time you buy all the gear, all the reloading shit, cost and time of reloading components , gas and match fees...the cost of the bullet is irrelevant. The difference between a cheap and expensive bullet is negligible. The down range performance, is not. But you do you and play the victim
I bet you’re a blast at parties. Again, thanks for your contribution to this thread. Feel free to excuse yourself if you have nothing else to add.

Go away. You’re annoying.