• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Long Ammo

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Does anyone have experience shooting 22 Long ammo?
    I have a large quanity and am trying to find a use for it.

Thanks

I would burn it up in a revolver or an inexpensive single shot or other vintage rifle ( lever ,pump) or use it as N excuse to buy a new Henry. For many years I would come across small to moderate amounts of odd ball 22 shorts, long etc, and always had fun burning them up.

Reactions: RTH1800
    Thanks for the one positive post. That is what I was thinking as well. Just thought someone might have a different idea.

• Haha
    Reactions: 1911hombre
    The old Mossberg 44 US I have in the safe along with the Daisy 2201 are both labeled for it. My understanding is just fire away in any chamber cut for 22LR

Reactions: RTH1800
    As I touched on earlier, in my youth ( as a typical starving college student) I would use any ammo I could get my hands on. I attended a college that had an NCAA division I rifle team I was a member of, and we got Remington for practice and eley for matches. I also was a mama er of the gun club a few miles down the road from the school, and would go there to practice with my small bore match rifle as well as the various cheap 22’s I kept in the trunk of my car. ( old winch single shot and a 10/22) a couple local old school dusty hardware and general stores stocked ammo, and whenever I could scrape an extra couple bucks together would buy a box. Back then some of those old dusty boxes of shorts or longs were 50 cents a box cheaper than LR, so into the Winchester they went.
    My brother also had a knack for finding old cheap stocks of ammo ( some of which he would get for free) and it didn’t matter short long LR brand, it was something to shoot at the time. Even now at a much different point in my life, getting deals on dusty old boxes of ammo I take great pleasure in. One of the local auction houses has odd lot ammo auctions from time to time, and I will grab any 22 ammo I can get for under $3 a box, and have multiple 22’s ( single shots vintage bolts revolvers) that happy eat the odd balls up. For tin can plinking type activities, they all do fine.

if you don’t have a suitable vessel, search the local gun shops for old used 22 single shots ( with a little effort hunting- which is part of the fun- ) they can often be purchased for under a hundred bucks. They can provide a lot of fun, and any practice on a tirgger is good practice