• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 LR group at 100 yards

Re: 22 LR group at 100 yards

MOMH

Minute Of Mosquito Head at least .

Sorry .... I couldn't resist but its kind of an inside joke .

I tend to run about 1", but have shot a few 5/8". That's with a bone stock CZ452 american and SS10x. Nothing exotic.

in the winter with my savage I get about .5 or less with SK ammo shooting off a bipod, and sand sock. Thats for 5 shots and 94 yards. During the warmer weather it seems to open up to between .6-.8.
May be the lot of ammo but most likely it is the bbl dia in the warmer weather.

I just finished stocking a 40X in a chunk of Tiger Stripe, and shot these today.
CIMG1191.jpg

CIMG1188.jpg

My results are similar to Sled Dog's. The NBRSA rimfire records can be found here.

Rimfire is at the bottom of the page. The world record for 5 5-shot groups is .604", so I would not expect .5", on average.

I get, on average, .95 MOA at 110 yards. I have had runs averaging as low as .85 MOA, but I think that is just statistical drift. Good ammo yields about .9 MOA... by the way, .95 MOA is a little over an inch at 100 yards. This is with a custom rig and Eley ammo... and I have been called out for lying about this average, but I keep really good records and I shoot a lot of 5X5 groups at various ranges.

My smallest groups run about .5". Those groups are the lucky ones and not representative of what my rig can achieve day in and day out.

Nice 30 shot - 2" group with that Savage MK II, TP! Lots of good groups to be had from these rifles. And no rear bag to boot!

Seeing this thread has gotten me interested in going back to paper for awhile and seeing just what kind of grouping I can squeeze out of my MK II...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm very happy with MOA at 100. </div></div>
Me too.

Although I rarely shoot my 22s at 100yds except my 504. I use it to practice african style shooting sticks, off hand shooting, sitting and kneeling at 100yds to improve my hunting skills, not for benchrest accuracy.

It takes a good .22 with good ammo that the gun likes to shoot 1" groups at 100. Most run of the mill 22's will not shoot that well.

I have shot several brands at 100 yds out of my CZ 452 Varmint. The best group was .70. The best average was rws rifle match around .98". Most ammo averages around 1.3". I am shooting off bipod with rear bag or just support hand under the toe of the stock. I find I generally get fewer 'fliers' when just using my hand rather than a rear bag- I think I am letting the rear bag vary by not squeezing it consistently. Average of 1" would make me very happy. I haven't tried any ammo over $8/ box. If I have to spend $16/ box, I'll use my centerfires and buy components.
david

We did a 100 yard prone match a couple of months ago. Shot these groups with my AMT and Lapua Master.

100yardswith22lr10001.jpg

100yardswith22lr0001.jpg

In retrospect, I should have kept my targets too. But I don't think mine were as nice as yours.

Forgotten how well you and your AMT shoots.

I guess that is why you got first with a 199 12x and I got third with a 197 7x. You had almost 5 in one hole. As always, you are too modest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that is why you got first with a 199 12x and I got a 197 7x. You had almost 5 in one hole. As always, you are too modest. </div></div>

Thanks for the kudos. Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.

My Clark 10-22 will shoot 1" @100 with WolfMT
My CZ American will shoot 1-3/8 @ 150 with no wind.
These are 5 shot groups with bags ft and rear.

I don't see how any1 is shooting dime size groups with a 22lr day in and day out. Most ammo tests I have seen are 1-1.5" @ 100yards with 10 shots. Even the 17hmr is lucky to shoot 1/2" groups.

I have stopped posting targets on forums.

Certain people, because they cannot shoot extremely tight groups, assume that it's not possible.

I do not take kindly to being called a liar.

But suffice to say, I've done one hole, 10 shot groups with my Mk II at 100 yards on still days on high magnification.

Josh <><

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We did a 100 yard prone match a couple of months ago. Shot these groups with my AMT and Lapua Master.

100yardswith22lr10001.jpg

100yardswith22lr0001.jpg
</div></div>

I saw these with my own eyes. Very impressive shooting.

I didn't bother to keep my targets from that match.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have stopped posting targets on forums.

Certain people, because they cannot shoot extremely tight groups, assume that it's not possible.

But suffice to say, <span style="font-weight: bold">I've done <span style="color: #FF9900"><span style="text-decoration: underline">one h</span>ole</span>, 10 shot groups with my Mk II at 100 yards</span> on still days on high magnification.

Josh <>< </div></div>

sry but I gotta call BS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have stopped posting targets on forums.

But suffice to say, <span style="font-weight: bold">I've done <span style="color: #FF9900"><span style="text-decoration: underline">one h</span>ole</span>, 10 shot groups with my Mk II at 100 yards</span> on still days on high magnification.

Josh <>< </div></div>

sry but I gotta call BS</div></div>

I didn't even bother responding to this because I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it in person and then I'd call it luck until it was repeated multiple (3'ish) times on different days, at least once a season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have stopped posting targets on forums.

But suffice to say, I've done one hole, 10 shot groups with my Mk II at 100 yards on still days on high magnification.

Josh <>< </div></div>

ONE HOLE?...10 SHOTS?...100yds?

I won't call you a liar but the word "delusional" comes to mind.

I can hit the same hole with my 22 or 17hmr day in and day out if I shoot my 50bmg at the target first
smile.gif

5 shots with an Annie at a 100.
111742u.jpg

10 shots with a Ruger 10/22 at a 100.
28jf68p.jpg

Both groups were shot with SK Rifle Match(same lot).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have stopped posting targets on forums.

Josh <>< </div></div>

ONE HOLE?...10 SHOTS?...100yds?

I won't call you a liar but the word "delusional" comes to mind. </div></div>
Guys, don't jump on Josh too hard. I don't know Josh and I'm not defending him, but whether intentionally or un-intentionally, his statement of <span style="font-style: italic"> <span style="font-weight: bold">"one hole, 10 shot groups"</span></span> is vague at best. I don't own a Mark II, but knowing what I can do with my MOA 10/22 at 100 yards I don't find it too difficult to believe that a Mark II can group 10 shots tightly at 100 yards under the right conditions.

There are extremely tight, "one-hole" groups where the projectiles appear to have passed through the very same hole, and then there are tight groups where, although the projectiles have obviously not passed through the very same hole the projectiles have punched a small hole in the paper that most would call a "one-hole" group. And, "No" - I've never done this with a .22.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT:</span> I've never done the former with a .22 at 50 or 100 yards, for either 5 or 10 shots. If I had I would be a world class champion shooter and record-holder. However, I have done the latter at at 50 yards (10-shot groups), and at 100 yards (5-shot groups).

The group below was shot with my custom MOA 10/22 on a calm day, but with variable wind. It is 10-shots at 100 yards, and <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> an excellent "one-hole" group right up through the 6th shot, after which I got too excited (or maybe cocky), and started shooting too fast.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 10/22 100 yard 10-shot group shot w/Winchester Super-X T22 40gr. Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O., bipod & rear bag:</span>
MOA1022100YardGroupCU8x6.jpg

I read Josh's statement as the latter rather than the former. If he had posted a 100 yard 10-shot group that looked like a single .22 hole I would call BS, as we know that even benchresters cannot obtain that precision for 5 shots with a .22 LR at 100 yards, indoors or out - let alone for 10 shots.

Keith

You know... like Shooter65 and Inline 6 did...

Those are one hole groups, right? Or wrong?

fa4af55b.jpg

Very hard to do and I've only done it a couple times on still days.

I don't think it's anything special; there are better groups posted here. And I have fliers.

Josh <><

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know... like Shooter65 and Inline 6 did...

Those are one hole groups, right? Or wrong?

fa4af55b.jpg

Very hard to do and I've only done it a couple times on still days.

I don't think it's anything special; there are better groups posted here. And I have fliers.

Josh <><</div></div>
Maybe 1-connected-hole group for the top two but the only 1 hole group I see is in the lower right.

Either way, yes they are good groups.

Hello,

I always thought one hole groups and one connected-hole groups were the same thing, as I've never see a one hole group achieved at long range.

I suppose I stand corrected. I'm a hunter, not a target shooter.

Thanks for the education!

Josh <><

Generally, one hole means that all of the shots are more or less in the same hole. A cloverleaf is when multiple shots are touching and resemble a cloverleaf. I also like the term "one ragged hole," which I consider to be a somewhere between a cloverleaf and a one-hole... basically, you can't distinguish individual shots.

I have shot a few near-cloverleaf groups at 100 yards (actually 110, which makes a difference). I was pretty proud of the 10-shot 100 yard group that I shot indoors that had one flier and had the rest inside of an inch. Without the flier, that would have been about .75" for a 10-shot group at 100. That is about as good as I can expect. If I shot the indoor range more, I could probably eek out a .75" without a flier... but that is not what I expect day in and day out.

I will reiterate that the world record for rimfire benchrest 5X5 shot groups is .6095":
http://nbrsa.org/sites/default/files/rimfire_records.htm

If you can average less than .6", you seriously need to start shooting rimfire benchrest because you are world class.

I get just under MOA, on average, at 110 yards. My smallest 5X5 is about .85 MOA.

A lot of people talk about what "their gun will shoot," which means their smallest group. When I talk about what my gun will shoot, I am looking at an average over a long term. I have shot a few groups at about a half inch at 100 yards with five shots... it is not what I expect. Maybe 1 group out of a hundred is that small. I don't consider .5" to be the accuracy potential of my gun. Those were just lucky groups, which happen.

Mayfield

Ok now you have me thinking, how do they measure the groups? Outside to outside or outside to outside subtract the diameter of the bullet? I have never shot for group in a comp but my 10/22 does lots better at 50 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A lot of people talk about what "their gun will shoot," which means their smallest group. <span style="font-weight: bold">When I talk about what my gun will shoot, I am looking at an average over a long term. </span>I have shot a few groups at about a half inch at 100 yards with five shots... it is not what I expect. Maybe 1 group out of a hundred is that small. I don't consider .5" to be the accuracy potential of my gun. Those were just lucky groups, which happen. </div></div>

BINGO!

All of us have shot "wallet targets". All of us have shot horrible groups. Our averages lie somewhere in between.

Keith

You can call me Carter:)

I believe these are CTC... but you are right, the 50 yards look large. I am thinking these are in MOA as opposed to inches? At 50 yards, I am about .5 MOA (or about a quarter of an inch), so that may be right. It is a good point. I need to find out how they are scoring these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A lot of people talk about what "their gun will shoot," which means their smallest group. <span style="font-weight: bold">When I talk about what my gun will shoot, I am looking at an average over a long term. </span>I have shot a few groups at about a half inch at 100 yards with five shots... it is not what I expect. Maybe 1 group out of a hundred is that small. I don't consider .5" to be the accuracy potential of my gun. Those were just lucky groups, which happen. </div></div>

BINGO!

All of us have shot "wallet targets". <span style="font-weight: bold">All of us have shot horrible groups</span>. Our averages lie somewhere in between.

Keith </div></div>
I have shot some horrendous groups, but luckily, my average groups are much smaller than the worst and closer to the target I posted. That is the reason to shoot on calm days, or when the wind is consistent when zeroing or shooting paper. I had to try to time my shots when I shot the target I posted, but had to rely on the wind on my back for reference.

Keith

I roll my eyes when people post a tight group and say that they can shoot like that "all day long." We all cherry pick the groups we choose to post on the Internet. Why bother to post your "average" group. And what is that, anyway?

I tend to be somewhere between 1.5 MOA and .6 MOA... you won't find me posting a lot of 1.5 MOA groups. Usually, when I post groups, I will show a clean 5X5 with no fliers circled and the word "sighter" next to it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosquitoHeadShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is a reasonable group to expect at 100 yards with a 22lr? </div></div>

2" with my Marlin model 60, but it hits it every damn time.

Carter - agreed - I did my share in the beginning.

What impresses me is if someone posts a cold bore shot that is within 1/8th of an inch of hte X at 100 yards....don't care if a group is tight when it's 2" off target at 100 yards, 20" off at 1000...:)

I re ached a perfect group in teh snow one day, 5 shots one hole, after that why bother....and after shooting highpower I was always more concerned about HITTING the target, now how tight my group was down in the 7 ring...

But grouping does do good for showing a rifles capabilities, if it can't hold a good group it won't be a consistent shooter...IMHO...

I shoot an old '56 win mod 52C target, with an old Leupold 36X and Federal UM1 from the 90's olympics (that Im now out of) I have shot 1/2 " 5 shot groups many times when enviromental conditions were near perfect at my farm range with many shooting buddys watching. Can I do it any day? hell no and I damn sure cannot do it with wally world Fed automatch bulk packs ( can at 50 all day) I will try and post photos.

at one of our club matches. for the first 20 shoots 2 of the scores were 200 with 19x and 200 with 11x. the second time around the same two guys fired 200 with 17x and 200 with 13x. this was off the bench with iron sights, at 50 yards. I was using a win52D with palma rear sight and globe on the font. Larry fired with a Schult Larson rifle, micro on the rear and globe on the front with inserts. I thought i had fired a 199 with 19x as my 8th round was not in the same hole with the others. but it was a 10. Off the top of my head i dont remember the score at the 100 but it was ok too. in our prone matches fired at 50 and 100 out of 1200 points (120 rounds) i see people drop in the 15 to 25 points. That is the good shooters.prone is fired unsuported and with sling only. I use wolf and eley ammo. yes its a bit on the high side. I will not say i am the best shooter on the line. just ok. I would suggest everone head out to some matches and put your rifle and skill to the test. lots of fun and then ofcourse, YOU HAVE PEOPLE TO WITNESS, the scores. As was stated, the best a rifle will do is one thing but shooting off a bench should be near best. I keep trying to get shooters on the line, but it seems hard to get guys to shoot matches agaist others. And yes EVERYONE picks the best group to talk about not the down by 18 points. I agree, shoot for the x ring that is where your group should be not in the 7 ring. I (we)also shoot XTC F class and sniper shoots. I hope some of you will come out and shoot with us. Its all ways good to be around people that like shooting
Cu on the range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It takes a good .22 with good ammo that the gun likes to shoot 1" groups at 100. Most run of the mill 22's will not shoot that well. </div></div>

my 10/22 wont shot 1moa @ 100 yards
maybe i haven't found the right ammo yet

i know my match gun shots sub moa @ 1,000 yards at every match
so i know I can shot sub moa

Kd185 what kind of set up do you have? I have no problems shooting sub moa with my 10/22. Ammo is only part of it with the 10/22. PM me if you like and I can give you the details of my build.