• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 22 LR Suppressors

boomdoggie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2011
Texas
I am in need of help gents, I want to buy a Suppressor for my 77/22. I am wanting opinions on the Silencer Co,Gem-Tech, and the AAC models. I want to get one and be happy out the door not regret the buy. Thanks in advance.

Re: 22 LR Suppressors

What do you want to know specifically? I own a 22Sparrow (aluminum), have a 22Sparrow SS on the way, own an Element and have shot just about everything out there.

Is taking it apart for cleaning important to you?

Will you ever shoot it on shorter barrel hosts?

Do you care about weight or materials?

All three of those companies are good and will give you good service.

Of the three you listed, I highly doubt you'd be UNhappy with any of them.
I just did a video showing the Gemtech Outback II and Silencer Co Sparrow on two 22 pistols, but that doesn't really help you much.

Suppressed vs Unsuppressed

Gemtech are doing the Outback as a take apart can...you can customize the baffle stack with steel/ti/almnm....great can and even better people to deal with...

Look at the SWR Spectre . Full-auto rated and dissembles for cleaning . Excellent warranty and customer service . Its one of the quietest .22 cans out there ...

well cleaning is important to me and it will also go on my 22 1911, and I want as light as possible. I have been leaning toward the SS sparow but the weight is up to a year.

I have 10 sparrows showing up next month that I ordered in January That would cut down on the wait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 10 sparrows showing up next month that I ordered in January That would cut down on the wait </div></div>

And THERE you go! Buy from a dealer with stock. Even if the guy is out of state you just wait for the Form 3.

206714_1821211724822_1076048002_32096321_7129539_n.jpg

77/22 + Sparrow = Win

http://www.22sparrow.com/?page=Videos

The link above is a great presentation comparing the top cans on the market side by side with metered results. Unless one specific can meets your selection criteria for weight, materials, etc. you should demo the can if available! While a db number/result may be lower, the tone of one can may sound better to you due to everyones hearing being different. Buy the best to you reguardless of cost. The process/wait for the stamp is the same for a $200 can vs $600 can.

I already know that I want the Sparrow after this next deployment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the SWR Spectre . Full-auto rated and dissembles for cleaning . Excellent warranty and customer service . Its one of the quietest .22 cans out there ... </div></div>

I LOVE my spectre. Works great on my Ruger 22/45 and CZ 452. Baffle tool works great and its super quiet. Heavier than alum cans but i don't mind it at all. I'd rather have a .22 can built like a tank. Its rated for 17hmr, 5.7mm.

There used to be a video of SWR shooting a mag of .223 throught a .22 Spectre full auto

Of the 3 companies listed. I would most likely buy the SS sparrow, if I were in the market to buy another .22 can. Mainly because it look's like it is the easiest to clean, is rated up to .22 hornet as well. But, since I have a kodiak for my hornet, I don't need another .22 can.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creature</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the SWR Spectre . Full-auto rated and dissembles for cleaning . Excellent warranty and customer service . Its one of the quietest .22 cans out there ... </div></div>

I LOVE my spectre. Works great on my Ruger 22/45 and CZ 452. Baffle tool works great and its super quiet. Heavier than alum cans but i don't mind it at all. I'd rather have a .22 can built like a tank. Its rated for 17hmr, 5.7mm.

There used to be a video of SWR shooting a mag of .223 throught a .22 Spectre full auto
</div></div>

+1 on Spectre!!

Here is the video mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahqgJDyzm6Y

(Burst not FA)

The cans I considered the top 3 when making my selection:

***AAC Element - It's light. Can NOT survive "the dip", reports of poor customer service from AAC.

***SWR Spectre - Heavy but, built like a tank. SWR known for great customer service.

***Silencerco Sparrow SS - Reported to have more first round pop than the other two listed. No pusher tool required for disassembly.

I chose the SWR Spectre and clean it about every 1500 rounds. It makes one laugh at it's silence... even more so when run wet. Shot by side with the Gemtech Outback II... The Spectre is noticeably quieter. I really liked the Outback II before I heard it compared side by side with the Spectre.

There seems to be a lot more choices out there in the last 2-years.

Good Luck,

AnschutzNerd.

anyone happen to know the actual weight differences between the models off hand? How much heavier are we talking for the spectre?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ldman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TBA are also very good cans </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ldman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gemtech </div></div>

Is it just common practice for you to blurt out whatever manufacturer of a product that first springs into your head? If your going to name them off, get a little more specific. What model? Why are you recommending them?

I'm intrigued by the new SureFire .22 suppressors.
They are well priced, take apart for cleaning, and look like the performance will be on par with the top tier rimfire cans.
P22_insides_3.jpg

P22_insides_8.jpg

P22_insides_9.jpg

(I'm trying to resist the urge to order one...)

Thought I'd mention it since its new.

I really like my Liberty Kodiak TL. Easy take-apart, titanium tube, stainless mono-core. Great company to deal with. I've got a second Liberty can waiting on ATF right now.

Lots of great choices on 22LR cans. Right now, i'd be with Liberty Kodiak TL or the Sparrow SS.

Quiet, takedown, and dippable are my three most important criteria.

-David
Edgewood, NM

ADDED: I use mine on a CZ452 16", Ruger 10/22, Ruger 22/45, and a CMMG dedicated 22LR upper. Silly quiet on the CZ452.

I've been researching 22 cans for awhile. I'm just about sold on the Liberty Kodiak or Essence. Now I just have to work it into the budget...

I am torn between two. On my Ruger 77/22lr I run a Gemtech Outback with excellent results then on my Ruger 77/22mag. I run an AWC Stalker. It is basically a mini Thundertrap. Rated for 22mag, 17hrm and .221 fireball. Depends on your barrel contour which can will work best.

My vote is for the SWR Spectre...that thing is as quite as a spider fart!! What part of Texas are you in? I'm pretty sure my local guy has a few spectres and sparrows in stock.

-Brown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmmi9100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my Liberty Kodiak TL. Easy take-apart, titanium tube, stainless mono-core. Great company to deal with. I've got a second Liberty can waiting on ATF right now.

Lots of great choices on 22LR cans. Right now, i'd be with Liberty Kodiak TL or the Sparrow SS.

Quiet, takedown, and dippable are my three most important criteria.

-David
Edgewood, NM

ADDED: I use mine on a CZ452 16", Ruger 10/22, Ruger 22/45, and a CMMG dedicated 22LR upper. Silly quiet on the CZ452. </div></div>

That's good to hear. I've got a Liberty Constitution on order. I think it should fit the bill of a dual use 5.56 - 22LR Can. Maybe not ideal for handguns but good for rifles.

My Liberty with the Form 4 processing is a Freedom 308. Plan to use it with 308, 260, and maybe 223.

Next can will likely be a Liberty Mystic. Only takedown 9mm can I know of rated for 5.56 semi-auto, 22 LR, 300 Whisper, 22 WMR, 5.7FN, and the list goes on. If they would have had it when I bought my Kodiak TL, I might have just gotten the Mystic to start with.

I'm not really a can collector. I just want one in 22LR, 308, and 9mm. The Mystic will do all but the 308.

-David
Edgewood, NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spectre is just over 8 oz. </div></div>

Is that all? I would have guessed heavier...

this is my htg universal on a old high standard [img:center]http://
IMG_1961.jpg
[/img]

***AAC Element - It's light. Can NOT survive "the dip",
[/quote]

can anyone explain "the dip" to me? Is the main body of the can not suitable for strong cleaning agents?

thanks for that.....scraping the lead out sounds much easier than trying to "liquify" the lead with harsh cleaners.

I bought my AAC Pilot before take apart cans were a common option.
It has performed quite well on a P22, Buckmark,Remington 504 and most recently on a friends 10/22 "tactical".
They now offer it as a take down can and apparently will eventually retrofit old cans the enable users to clean them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are solutions that can be mixed up that eat at the lead build-up. Problem with aluminum construction suppressors is there is nothing that eats lead that won't eat aluminum...so people make concoctions to try get their leaded up cans working. And then your left with highly hazardous and potentially lethal lead residue to dispose of if you do in fact get it out...its a very tricky proposition.

AAC recommends using Kroil...

I've soaked mine for a week sealed in a paint can...it didn't do shit but remove the fouling...not the lead.

This is mostly a problem with sealed cans...cans you can't take apart to scrape the crud out. </div></div>

Yup, Kroil doesn't do much more than make a big mess for me. I'm not a big fan myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for that.....scraping the lead out sounds much easier than trying to "liquify" the lead with harsh cleaners. </div></div>

Actually I think you have it backwards.

The dip is made of 1 part regular white vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxide that you can buy at any drug store.

It produces a toxic compound called lead acetate. Don't worry, it is not radioactive and it won't kill you if you look at it.

Like a lot of the stuff we deal with everyday (or at least I do) it is not something you need to be playing around with. Don't drink it, just handle and dispose of it properly and there shouldn't be an issue.

For what ever reason, an irrational fear of "the dip" has developed. My theory is it was the constant warnings and disclaimers from suppressor manufactures to cover their asses that got everyone a little nervous.

I'm not saying it is not bad stuff, but at the same time a person who is afraid to use the dip will go out in the garage and play with solvents that are far more toxic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wakerider017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It produces a toxic compound called lead acetate. Don't worry, it is not radioactive and it won't kill you if you look at it.

Like a lot of the stuff we deal with everyday (or at least I do) it is not something you need to be playing around with. Don't drink it, just handle and dispose of it properly and there shouldn't be an issue.
</div></div>

Where does one "properly" dispose of lead acetate? I've always wondered.

Inquiring minds want to know,

AnschutzNerd

This is what I quickly found on lead acetate:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lead(IV) acetate may be fatal if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. It causes irritation to skin eyes, and respiratory tract. It is a neurotoxin. It affects the gum tissue, central nervous system, kidneys, blood, and reproductive system.
</div></div>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(IV)_acetate

Seems no fun to me. Think...I'll scrape my Sparrow when she comes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where does one "properly" dispose of lead acetate? I've always wondered.

Inquiring minds want to know,

AnschutzNerd </div></div>
Same place you take car batteries. (AKA Lead Acid Batteries)
Take it to your local recycling center and tell them that it is battery acid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFtinkerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what I quickly found on lead acetate:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lead(IV) acetate may be fatal if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. It causes irritation to skin eyes, and respiratory tract. It is a neurotoxin. It affects the gum tissue, central nervous system, kidneys, blood, and reproductive system.
</div></div>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(IV)_acetate

Seems no fun to me. Think...I'll scrape my Sparrow when she comes. </div></div>

Take a look at warnings on other house hold chemicals you got laying around your house..

You may have a sudden urge to go green... lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been leaning toward the SS sparow but the wait is up to a year. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in Marblefalls/ llano county area </div></div>

I just bought one at a dealer in West Houston who gets in a set number each month. I think he may even have one in stock.

PM me for contact info.